Author Topic: My NYC Pizza Tour  (Read 2291 times)

Offline SanMarzano

My NYC Pizza Tour
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:40:58 PM »
A buddy and I have recently gone on an NYC pizza tour and I figured I'd share my experience with the folks on this board.  Great Board BTW!

Some of the highlights for NY style pizza include Di Fara's (Brooklyn), Louie & Earnies (Bronx), Joe & Pats (SI), Joe's of Carmine St (Manhattan), Artichoke (Manhattan)

Some of the highlights for Neapolitan style pizza include: Company (Manhattan) John's of Bleeker St (Manhattan), Keste (Manhattan) Zero Otto Nove (Bronx) Grimaldi's (Brooklyn),

First Place: Without hesitation the pizza at Company was the best I've ever tasted period Neapolitan style or otherwise.  The Margherita was perfect, sweet delicious fresh tomato sauce, creamy buffalo mozzarella and a bubbly charred flavorful crust.  Each taste just explodes on your tongue and each is perfectly balanced.  Their Stracciatella pie was even better than the Margherita.  I didn't think anything so good was possible.  This pizza is similar to the margherita with globs of Stracciatella cheese (instead mozzarella) offering up an almost sweet and creamy like whipped cream flavor. Ridiculously good.  This incredible pizza is topped off with fresh Arugala leaves. Bottom line the best pizza I've ever had.

Second Place had to go to Zero Otto Nove.  This was my favorite before Company. Their excellent Margherita pie has a great authentic flavor but the sauce and crust was just a tad less vibrant and tasty than the margherita pizza at Company

Best New York Style Slice I would say is Di Fara's for the flavorful tomato sauce, variety of delicious cheeses and the delightful fresh basil that Dom cuts onto each piping hot pie.  Unfortunately the crust was a little too oily for my taste.  I think Dom puts the olive oil on a little too thick.  Therefore for s delicious crispy airy thin crust I'd have to give top honors to Ernie & Louie and Joe & Pats

Alls I can say its great to be a pizza lover in NYC
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:32:19 AM by SanMarzano »

Offline johnnytuinals

Re: My NYC Pizza Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Joe and Pats yummmmmmm
Its what type of Pizza you like.
With Joe and Pats
I have been buying from them for 40 years,I even buy a few pies just to freeze($18 for large pie if I remembered?}
and reheat later.
Yes Joe and Pats pies are very Thin and the crust is crunchy.
but the Sauce Is great(need to find out how to make it} and I  think they use Chunks of Grand Wm.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to NYC....................JT

Offline SanMarzano

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:36:21 AM »
Thanks  Yeah I loved Joe and Pats

Actually I live in the NYC metro area -just outside of the city but I only recently got really into pizza.  The only downside into this sorjourn for pizza nirvana is I can no longer enjoy a slice at one of my local places.  Once you had a really great slice of pizza that commercail crap really doesn't cut it. imo

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:10:10 PM »
There are many places that make great pizza
I have enjoyed many places in Nyc whenever I get there(not offen}
But its good to try differant places around the city.....
I am living in the Poconos and MOST places Blowssssss,,,,Thats why I make my own pizza...
Only thing is missing is Joe and pats sauce lol.........Wish I could bribe someone in the place
in what they use.....JT

Offline pizzalatino

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
Hello, new here. I have a 3 hour layover at JFK this Wed and wanted to know the closest pizza place to have some good ol NY pizza. Any help? This forum is the best and it's the only place I've been learning from for making pizza. Everyone here is very helpful and friendly. You guys Rock!!!

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »
Here's a map of good pizza places in NY. 3 hours is really not enough time to go to Manhattan. Try Brooklyn or Queens and be prepared to spend $$$$ on cab fare.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/07/dining/20090708-pizza-map.html
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline pizzalatino

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »
Thanks mmarston that should help...though looking at the map I don't know where Queens or Brooklyn is but seems like Nicks is closest one.