Author Topic: Earthstone Oven Question  (Read 1147 times)

Offline shuboyje

Earthstone Oven Question
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:56:46 PM »
I know we have some Earthstone owners here so hopefully someone will have an idea.  I went to a new wood fired pizza place here in the Detroit area today, and they were using Earthstone ovens.  The pizza was good, best I've had in the area, but I still felt the oven was out of balance and the pizza was cooked too long due to a low temp(700F although they are advertising 900F) to even out the high dome.  Being a guy who think about wood fired ovens in his sleep I looked up the specs on their website and found numbers that just don't look right.  It states the door height at 14 inches, which seems like what I saw, but the only other height it shows is 17 1/2".  Not only did the oven look much higher then that, but if that number is correct the door height is horribly out of ratio going by conventional wisdom.  Anybody familiar with these ovens? 
-Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Earthstone Oven Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
My model 90:

Door height ~ 10"
Dome height ~ 16"

Where is temp being measured? Temp gauge is installed inside dome and does not give a particularly meaningful measurement of what the pizza is experiencing. Deck temp is far more meaninful as is the intensity of the fire and coal bed which is pretty much unmeasureable.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »
I assumed it was a reading of the dome.  According to the Earthstone website the probe is 4 1/2" into the dome.  It also says the oven is between 4 and 6 inches thick, so assuming the dome is 6 that would only leave 1 1/2"...a fairly accurate reading.  If the dome is 700F it is safe to assume the hearth is a good amount lower.

The numbers for your oven make sense, and are right in ratio.  Is the dome of your oven flat, or does it have some curve to it?   
-Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:37:10 PM »

If the dome is 700F it is safe to assume the hearth is a good amount lower.

The numbers for your oven make sense, and are right in ratio.  Is the dome of your oven flat, or does it have some curve to it?   

For my oven this assumption would NOT be valid. Every oven and every firing is different, but I can't think of a single case where the gauge temp has ever been higher than the surface of the deck. Certainly the air at the top of the dome is hotter. But after almost 10 years of heavy residential use, I can assure you that the gauge in the dome is useless for pizza baking, at least for the way I make pies.

Yes the dome curved.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:10:12 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
Thats really interesting Bill.  My dome is always 200F+ hotter then the hearth going by surface temps with an IR thermometer, and from my readings I have gathered that was pretty much the norm.  I did notice it looks like their floor is made of a different material(from reading on the website), and the tiles are only 1 1/2" thick so that could be part of the reason why.

As for the shape the dome must curve and bring this oven into ratio, for some reason they don't show that on the drawings with the specs just the height of the "soldier" stones.  The dome must be somewhere around 22" or so which is more like what I thought I saw.
-Jeff

pizzapan