Author Topic: My Project, The good, bad, and the ugly  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Cassius_dog

My Project, The good, bad, and the ugly
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:48:33 PM »
This has been a very fun project and have enjoyed learning a lot about different types of ovens and different techniques people use to make them.    I am not looking to make the worlds greatest oven,  I just  wanted to make an oven that I can enjoy for years in the spring and summer.   To insulate my oven I used 2" ceramic blanket and another 1" of a perlite/cement mix then stucco.  I also used 2"  perlite/cement mix  and about 1/2" of sand under the firebrick(I know I could of done that different, and use more insulation, but thats life).     I still have to finish the oven with stucco and couple of different little things.  I will let you know how it turns out and how the pizza taste.   

The Good:    The whole experience,  and the feeling of buildling your own oven
  The Bad:   Cutting some corners,  Trying to fix the problems, should of use more insulation
  The Ugly:   My Hands after working with all of the mortar, brick, concrete...   they hurt, 

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My Project, The good, bad, and the ugly
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
I don't know anything about ovens but I'd be proud to have made that. It looks great so far. I hope you enjoy many great pies from it. Thanks for sharing that and posting pics.

Offline Cassius_dog

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
Here is the ugly,  My rubber gloves wore though and by the time I noticed it was to late and four finger tips were bleeding.  One piece of advice,   buy and use couple really good pair of gloves.....   

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
congrats on the project !!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
Impressive! Did you have to teach yourself to lay brick?  Looks professional.

Randy

Online Matthew

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »
This has been a very fun project and have enjoyed learning a lot about different types of ovens and different techniques people use to make them.    I am not looking to make the worlds greatest oven,  I just  wanted to make an oven that I can enjoy for years in the spring and summer.   To insulate my oven I used 2" ceramic blanket and another 1" of a perlite/cement mix then stucco.  I also used 2"  perlite/cement mix  and about 1/2" of sand under the firebrick(I know I could of done that different, and use more insulation, but thats life).     I still have to finish the oven with stucco and couple of different little things.  I will let you know how it turns out and how the pizza taste.   

The Good:    The whole experience,  and the feeling of buildling your own oven
  The Bad:   Cutting some corners,  Trying to fix the problems, should of use more insulation
  The Ugly:   My Hands after working with all of the mortar, brick, concrete...   they hurt, 

Great job!  You may want to keep the dome covered with a tarp to keep it dry until you water proof it or it will absorb a tonne of water when it rains.  I also ran a space heater in mine for 2 weeks to completely dry out the interior prior to doing curing fires.

Matt

Offline Cassius_dog

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
I have experience with syndar block and Cultured stone,  but not with brick.  I am a landscape contractor in the summer and a teacher the rest of the year,  but does not mean I do a lot of masonry work,  mostly plants, lawns, planning, some built in benches,  but I do understand the power of mortar.  I am going to build another one this late spring for a friend then I might advertise that it is something else I can do professionally(only if the pizza and temp is good).  Plus I will let the customer know that I am new at it and the price will be right.  Two years ago my project in my backyard was a built in BBQ and that turn out pretty good and now I do thoughs professionally.
Thanks for the kind words about the oven.  I will send some finish pictures in about 3days.   I attached the BBQ Picture...

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »
Very Nice!! I had the same prob when working with the mortar Hands were trashed !found some decent gloves to sweat in and thing got better I did a ton of that with the stone veneer!Good luck with it and enjoy!!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 03:51:08 PM »
Here is the ugly,  My rubber gloves wore though and by the time I noticed it was to late and four finger tips were bleeding.  One piece of advice,   buy and use couple really good pair of gloves.....   

Part of what caused you hand to look like ground-meat my have been the calcium chloride in the mortar. It is used a catalyst in many concrete and mortar mixes, and it will dry out your skin and cause it to crack and bleed real bad. So having that going on, and the rough surfaces of the bricks combined with that is probably what tore you up.

Solution?? Go to the store, but a block of lard, warm it gently and rub that into your hands a few times a day to make your skin more flexible. Using hand lotions at this point may be very painful because of the alcohol that many contain.
The rendered fat from beef also works nicely too. It is messy, but it really does help.

I used to work with concrete and mortar for an environmental testing corporation, My hands looked very similar my first week doing that.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
Just as an FYI to other builders.

You should always have "knockouts" under the form so that you can remove them and the form drops for easy removal.

You should always have some amount of arch in the dome.  Flat is not structurally stable.

Lanolin before you begin work and vinegar when you finish will prevent the alkalinity of the cement from destroying your hands, but most of the damage will be from mechanical wear (rough brick) so wear thick leather gloves, not water proof thin rubber ones.