Author Topic: Charles Pizza philadelphia pa pizza sauce  (Read 2942 times)

Offline hyefatman

Charles Pizza philadelphia pa pizza sauce
« on: October 21, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »
i moved to california and have not been able to find a pizza that tastes like charles pizza in philadelphia- i have searched for 40 years-  i would like someone to tell me what type of sauce they use... i called them and they said it came in a commerical can but would not give me the name... the sauce is something i grow up on and when i went to visit a few years back it had not changed at all-- the sauce has a sweetness to it with little or no acid taste- it has a rich tomato taste- the pizza has a thin crust that is a little brunt around the edges and does not have a lot of  cheese  ..for me the sauce is perfect... any help?

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
Re: Charles Pizza philadelphia pa pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »
Charles Pizza.  Never heard of it.  I live outside of Philadelphia, where is it??

Offline hyefatman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
4300 E Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA  19124  i think it is at this address

Offline hyefatman

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »
you can google    Charles Pizza  philadelphia pa  and read the reviews

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:57:10 AM »
We know it as Charlie's, not Charles....on a good day one of the better pies in town and my wife's old time favorite
On a bad day ...pretty bad
They are very proud of their sauce, which I remember as thick and tasty and they put the cheese on the skin, and the sauce on top.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=charlie's+pizza+philadelphia&fb=1&gl=us&hq=charlie's+pizza&hnear=philadelphia&cid=1035252895675423983
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:03:36 AM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline hyefatman

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
sorry my error-  its been a long time  - as a kid my dad took me to this place and  its been 30 years since i left for california -
to do have any hints on how that pizza is made  - or can i find one in california  -

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
It's been a good 10 years since I had one. I think it's a cracker crust.
Maybe one of the experts here can give you some tips from the picture
I'd offer to send one FedEx to you, but I don't think it will travel well.
Maybe it's time to revisit Charlie's this weekend...

Perry

Offline hyefatman

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »
perry - i love california and would love to visit philly again but when i went back the last time i could not handle the deterioration on my neighborhood ...and the entire city for that fact   i lived in the north east and its gone down hill  --- having said that the east coast has the best pizza in the world
i hope someone can help make this stuff  if not i think i may get close by reading some of the posts... my only problem is i am hitting 350 pounds and i think the pizza posts may push me to the 375 range--heck just looking at some of the pictures of the pizza are enough increase the pounds
thanks

pizzapan