Author Topic: Baking science & technology - is it worth its price?  (Read 280 times)

Online drogus

• I Love Pizza!
Baking science & technology - is it worth its price?
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »
I was going through some of the old topics on the forum (some 10 years old now!) and @pizzanapoletana was referring to "Baking science & technology" by E.J. Pyler a few times. I wanted to buy it, but it costs about $170 per volume (it consists of 2 volumes) and I'm not sure if the book is so good, it will justify that kind of money.

Does anyone here owns it and could do a quick review on what can be learned from the book, how well it's written and if a lot of knowledge is needed to understand it?

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Baking science & technology - is it worth its price?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:45:18 AM »
You can see the entire tables of contents and a decent sample of each volume of the latest edition here: http://www.sosland.com/bakingscience/

I doubt there is much in there that you would want to know that you couldn't find for free on the internet.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online drogus

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Baking science & technology - is it worth its price?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

I doubt there is much in there that you would want to know that you couldn't find for free on the internet.

That's probably true, although books have 2 big advantages over info from the internet for me:

• sitting in front of the computer is a big part of my life, it's nice to have a break whenever I can
  • books tend to be quite well organised whereas information on the internet is scattered and I often find it tiring to get the relevant information and filter the noise or false information