Author Topic: Recommended Reading  (Read 17420 times)

Offline randyjohnsonhve

Re: Recommended Reading
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »
You must not forget to read "American Pie" by Peter Reinhart...Great story of history, and a real life pizza lesson in the end...We are still searching, are we not?...RJelli
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
Not about pizza but one of the best food books I've ever read.

Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef
Gabrielle Hamilton

"Magnificent. Simply the best memoir by a chef ever. Ever. Gabrielle Hamilton packs more heart, soul, and pure power into one beautifully crafted page than I've accomplished in my entire writing career. Blood, Bones & Butter is the work of an uncompromising chef and a prodigiously talented writer. I am choked with envy." - Anthony Bourdain
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
Steve,

I'd like to nominate a book for inclusion on the "recommended books" page.

The book is Pizza (From Its Italian Origins to the Modern Table) written by Rosario Buonassi and published by Firefly Books Inc., Buffalo, NY (2000).

Beautiful design and photography compliment this thoughtful, well-written book.  
Topics covered are historical development of pizza, many recipes, wine and beer recommendations for specific pizzas, and future trends.

This book is probably more "coffee table art book"  than  "how to" manual, but it is sophistocated, engaging, and insightful.  This book is currently out of print but is available as a remainder for around $7 to $8  (orig. $24.95)  through Amazon resellers.
Agreed!  This book got the (dough) ball rolling for me...
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline Dpilaitis

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

I would definitely recommend "My Pizza" by Jim Lahey, as well as, "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish.

Best,
David

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Hi Steve,

I would definitely recommend "My Pizza" by Jim Lahey, as well as, "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish.

^^^

I have Flour Water Salt Yeast and refer to it frequently. It's really well written. It does deal primarily with bread but there is a large section devoted to pizza.  My Pizza is also a very good book. 

Offline Ari1888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
Last week I've purchased "Pizza" by Pippa Cuthbert on a website called The Book People. I've had 5 pounds off it with a voucher code from http://voucherful.co.uk and as far as I'm concerned they still have some codes that will get you some % off the original price if anyone's interested. As far as the book is concerned, I'm already halfway through it and I've been very impressed, great read so far! I'm planning on buying some more for future reading when my next payday comes  :chef:

Would welcome if you've shared any other online stores with cheap books for my future purchases!

Have a great day, Pizza-addicts!  :pizza:

Offline Davydd

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
I'm reading American Pie right now on my iPad.

For Christmas I got a book from my son and daughter-in-law titled, Everything Pizza Cookbook by Belinda Hulin. It is pretty basic for home oven baking and not a lot I don't know, but there are tons of recipes. I don't follow the recipes but do browse the ingredient ideas and combinations. It is a $16.99 309 page paperback book I'm sure came from Barnes & Nobles.
Davydd