Author Topic: Recommended Reading  (Read 18175 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Recommended Reading
« on: February 24, 2005, 10:24:48 AM »
I'm putting together a new "Recommended Books" page for the website. This page contains books that I would consider good to excellent for making great pizza. Please look over the page and let me know of any books that should be on the list.  :)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_books.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 12:25:13 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Re: Recommended Reading
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 11:25:41 AM »
Steve,
Great idea. I would vote for adding Ed Levine's "Pizza A Slice of Heaven." I took delivery of it yesterday and cannot put it down.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 11:35:41 AM »
Steve,
Great idea. I would vote for adding Ed Levine's "Pizza A Slice of Heaven." I took delivery of it yesterday and cannot put it down.

Is that a cookbook or a "guide"?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 11:40:39 AM »
Good point Steve. It is primarily a guide book. But it has a true Neapolitan American recipe as well as a sauce recipe. It also details, better than some of the other books already listed, the ingredients used and preparation techniques of some of the world's best pizzerias. That's a unique perspective for me at least.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 12:24:48 PM »
Good point Steve. It is primarily a guide book. But it has a true Neapolitan American recipe as well as a sauce recipe. It also details, better than some of the other books already listed, the ingredients used and preparation techniques of some of the world's best pizzerias. That's a unique perspective for me at least.

Ok, I added a new section and put the book there.  8)

Thanks!  ;D

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 11:45:33 PM »
How about the CPK book? I love there dough and sauce from the book.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 07:28:31 PM »
I have to say that Ed details of the pizzeria in Naples are not really accurate as you may think. The book it is really well written, but reading his opinion make me really wonder about his taste...

Offline davtrent

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 10:47:45 AM »
Steve,

I'd like to nominate a book for inclusion on the "recommended books" page.

The book is Pizza (From Its Italian Origins to the Modern Table) written by Rosario Buonassi and published by Firefly Books Inc., Buffalo, NY (2000).

Beautiful design and photography compliment this thoughtful, well-written book. 
Topics covered are historical development of pizza, many recipes, wine and beer recommendations for specific pizzas, and future trends.

This book is probably more "coffee table art book"  than  "how to" manual, but it is sophistocated, engaging, and insightful.  This book is currently out of print but is available as a remainder for around $7 to $8  (orig. $24.95)  through Amazon resellers.

Offline davtrent

• Supporting Member
Grilled Pizza Article in Cook's Illustrated
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »
The July & August, 2005 issue (number seventy-five) of Cook's Illustrated magazine contains a short article on creating restaurant style grilled pizza at home.

In typical test kitchen format, author Matthew Card describes his step by step procedure for turning out crisp, yet chewy pizza on charcoal or gas grills.  This article is limited by its three page length to presenting the fundamentals, but provides a good overview.

Cook's Illustrated (www.cooksillustrated.com) offers a free trial issue to potential subscribers and is also available at news stands,  book stores and many libraries.

Regards,

David

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »
Steve,

The book is Pizza (From Its Italian Origins to the Modern Table) written by Rosario Buonassi and published by Firefly Books Inc., Buffalo, NY (2000).

Topics covered are historical development of pizza, many recipes, wine and beer recommendations for specific pizzas, and future trends.

This book is probably more "coffee table art book"  than  "how to" manual, but it is sophistocated, engaging, and insightful.  This book is currently out of print but is available as a remainder for around $7 to $8  (orig. $24.95)  through Amazon resellers.

Thanks, I've added this book per your recommendation!  :)

Offline buzz

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 10:26:19 AM »
Steve--

Evelyn Slomon's is good, too--not quite accurate, but a good book to have!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 12:18:59 PM »
Steve--

Evelyn Slomon's is good, too--not quite accurate, but a good book to have!

I believe that I have her book on the list. Thanks!

Steve

Offline buzz

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 01:06:26 PM »
Do you have James McNair's New Pizza? It's a nicely-done book.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 04:34:25 PM »
Do you have James McNair's New Pizza? It's a nicely-done book.

Don't own that one.

Jump out to the main website (http://www.pizzamaking.com) and click on books. Let me know if there's anything missing that should be there. Thanks!!

Steve

Offline buzz

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 08:44:29 AM »
McNair's book and Scicolone--both very nicely done.

Offline JimBob

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 07:11:42 AM »
I'm putting together a new "Recommended Books" page for the website. This page contains books that I would consider good to excellent for making great pizza. Please look over the page and let me know of any books that should be on the list.  :)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_books.html

I would like to see your ratings next to the title.  (ie.  do you consider it good or excellent)
JimBob

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »
I would like to see your ratings next to the title.  (ie.  do you consider it good or excellent)

Yes I would like to have maybe a message board rating of each book.
For the ones that have the books they can rate them. This way I know which books to buy first.

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Vlap

• PetMarkersUSA
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
Steve,

A truly good book. As much a historical guide as a cookbook.

Offline FirePie

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
I've seen nothing but positive reviews for two books in particular, though sadly I do not possess a copy of either one just yet. The first is one that I've seen discussed in the forum several times, in fact I even created a thread based on it. It is called Passionate About Pizza by Curtis Ide, the second one being The Ultimate Pizza Manual: Make Pizza Like the Pros... Used To! by Francesco Brunaldo. The latter is a mere forty-four pages long, but based on the reviews it sounds like it truly does deliver (pardon the pun!) manna from Pizza Heaven.

Offline Super Mario

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
Indeed, ratings would be neat as I have no idea which book to choose from !
I'm looking for a book with detailed technical explanations on the dough making and kneading process and preferably more on the traditional Italian side of things (as opposed to the Chicago style).  Would Reinhart's book suit my needs?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:31:28 PM by Super Mario »