Author Topic: Finally found out why my cheese was prematurely burning  (Read 1476 times)

Offline zspec1

Finally found out why my cheese was prematurely burning
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
I've been struggling with finding the reason why my cheese burned while my dough was barely starting to cook (Chicago thin crust).  The cheese would be fully cooked within 5 minutes @ 450F on the lowest rack.  Nothing aside from par baking worked.  That is until today when I noticed that my top heating element was bright red :o... Needles to say, I immediately placed a cold pizza stone at the very top to cover the top heating element and continued to cook at the usual 450F.  12 minutes later like clockwork a perfect pizza with the crust and cheese fully cooked.  All I can say is I'm glad I finally figured this out and what a horrible design it is to fully blast the top heating element when set to bake!

Hopefully no one else has this problem.  Thanks to this site and everyone in it for their help. 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Finally found out why my cheese was prematurely burning
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
right on!!!  good find and good fix!!!!! send some pics of your new pizza!!!!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »
I'm wondering if your oven has a feature to just use "underheat" instead of "topheat", meaning where you only use the lower heating element?

That will definitely fix it, imho.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline zspec1

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »
I'm making pizza this weekend and will take some pictures of the final product. 

My oven only has 3 settings; bake, broil, and self clean.  The bake uses both elements and the broil only uses the top element.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:57:46 PM »
I'm making pizza this weekend and will take some pictures of the final product. 

My oven only has 3 settings; bake, broil, and self clean.  The bake uses both elements and the broil only uses the top element.

If you have a second rack in the oven, you could always cover that one with aluminum foil, shiny side facing the top broiler, to shield the pie from the top heat.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline zspec1

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »
If you have a second rack in the oven, you could always cover that one with aluminum foil, shiny side facing the top broiler, to shield the pie from the top heat.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

pizzapan