Author Topic: Alternative to WoodStone  (Read 2165 times)

Offline bhummel

Alternative to WoodStone
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:38:02 PM »
Hey everyone, just found this site and its great! Anyways looking at a new oven and I'm hoping to get some advice. I've used WoodStone ovens before to make what I would call neo-neapolitan or more precisely Neapolitan influenced pizza and it turned out great. So I know I can achieve the results I want with a gas fired WoodStone, but what about deck style ovens such as the ones Marsal makes?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Alternative to WoodStone
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »
bhummel, where are you located?  You can schedule to try out the Marsal MB or SD ovens.  MB are the brick lined ones.

How large are your pizzas, and is this in a restaurant?  Is the oven part of the presentation?
Patrick

Offline bhummel

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:43:59 PM »
In Seattle and yes its for a restaurant. I've come across the earthstone ovens and they make a gas version which is looking pretty good. Any thoughts on those?

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »
I would ask them to try out the Woodstone and talk to them about working temperatures.

From what Marsal says, beyond 625F does not work very well.  And @ 625F I don't think you will be getting anything that is very neapolitan influenced. 

I have a regular old deck oven which is pretty much the same as a Marsal, although they may have tuned the oven for better results.   I have been trying to figure out how to make work at higher temps.. 650-700+ F and having difficulties getting enough top heat.
Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
Every pizzeria I have been in recently 2 of them are running the Marsal ( new one in F lakes check it out patrci in the  a&P plaza  by the 287 car wash. They  Had the best tasting pizza. But YES I found out they both use grande and  bromated  AT  :'(  hope I will be ok?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
I think they pretty much all use bromated All trumps :)  or Pilsbury.  I will check it out.  I didn't know there was a new place in the A&P location in Franklin Lakes.  Down here Rosario's has about 4 or 6 of those pretty Marsal ovens.  They look nice but I am not a fan of the pizza.  It turns out for me being overly dry and crunchy.

Depending what you are after bhummel..  style wise.  For one thing Woodstone is right in your area... I imagine their suggested baking temps are a lot hotter than a Marsal, so then you will get a more neapolitan style pizza.  I'd definitely try to do a hands on test on both.
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:57:15 PM »
John,  do you know anyone around here running their gas oven relatively hot? 600 or more F?
Patrick

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »
A good friend in Rochester, NY, uses a Marsal in his place... the results are quite good & he is happy (as are his customers). The restaurant is called "Rocco", located downtown.. the pies are 10-12 inches, & the doughballs are 170-200 grams (he gave me one to take home to bake & I weighed on my digital scale).

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
Thats a good lookin pie!!

Must be very thin at 200 grams for 12" pie

Offline sabinoapizza

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »
Great looking pie.The 200gr for the weight of dough converts to about 7oz.This is the weight that would be used for a 10inch pizza unless it is stretched very thin for 12inch pie.
Chow
Sabino
Sabino

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
I gave Veras Trattoria in Franklin lakes NJ a try.  They have the MB60 ovens.  I bet they are running right around 550 or 525 (?). Pizza was a good NY style pizza. 

Do you know what temp Rocco's in Syracuse uses?
Patrick

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:51:55 AM »
Rocco's pie is, as I said 10-12".... more like 10". when I took the dough home, & stretched it
to 12", the pie was indeed a little thin. I think the Marsal Oven tops out at 650; just for fun I will
stop in sometime & use my digital therm to get a read when they're baking...

pizzapan