Author Topic: June Pizza Fest  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Crust Lust

June Pizza Fest
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »
I had a pizza party at my place back in June from which I took some pics. So I wanted to go back and post my results. I'm also having a pizza party later this month, so I'm posting this thread now in part to provide a place where invitees can get a preview of what will be coming their way.

Here was my recipe:

Flour (100%):    2247.34 g  |  79.27 oz | 4.95 lbs          
Water (66.67%):    1498.3 g  |  52.85 oz | 3.3 lbs          
ADY (.44%):    9.89 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.62 tsp | 0.87 tbsp          
Salt (1.78%):    40 g | 1.41 oz | 0.09 lbs | 7.17 tsp | 2.39 tbsp          
Sugar (1.2%):    26.97 g | 0.95 oz | 0.06 lbs | 6.76 tsp | 2.25 tbsp          
Total (170.09%):   3822.5 g | 134.83 oz | 8.43 lbs | TF = N/A          
Single Ball:   382.25 g | 13.48 oz | 0.84 lbs

# of dough balls = 10
Residue loss = 2.48%
Water temperature = 78.8 F
ADY dissolve temperature = 107.0 F         
Post ferment total dough weight = 3748 grams
Total ferment time = 2.75 days
Actual residue/evaporation loss = 1.94%
Oven temperature = 625 F
Baking surface = Old Stone 14.5" x 16.5" x .5" pizza stone
Baking time = 4.5-7 minutes
Oven Position = top rack

Notes: I recently learned I was using too much flour on the peel which was causing pies to often slide right toward the back of the stone and partially fall off and start to burn. The hot air along with the flour acted like a puck on an air hockey table. I also found I could reduce the quantity of bench flour while still keeping peel stickage well under control.

I have also since tried reducing the oven temperature a bit (maybe 50 degrees F) to yield more softness and flexibility in the crust. I like it both ways, but if the temp is reduced too much, I find the fat separation from the mozzarella is not enough. I like to see some orange coloration from the oils like on the cheese pizza here. You can't get that from baking in 400 F IMO. But too much temp for too long will of course lead to over-separation and dried out cheese which is worse. I could also increase the sugar to 1.5% to get more coloration without causing too much char. I'm pretty happy with the results overall, but always curious to alter a factor here or there to see what happens.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, suggestions etc?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:41:29 AM by Crust Lust »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: June Pizza Fest
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
Crust Lust,

I don't think you need any help. Your pizzas look great. It also looks like you have been able to handle the high dough hydration without having the dough stick to the peel.

Since you used the top oven rack position, do you have any photos of the bottom of the crust or can explain the characteristics of the bottom crust in terms of color, crispiness, chewiness, etc.? Also, did you use the broiler element?

Peter

Offline Crust Lust

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:18:01 PM »
Crust Lust,

I don't think you need any help. Your pizzas look great. It also looks like you have been able to handle the high dough hydration without having the dough stick to the peel.

Since you used the top oven rack position, do you have any photos of the bottom of the crust or can explain the characteristics of the bottom crust in terms of color, crispiness, chewiness, etc.? Also, did you use the broiler element?

Peter
Did not have the presence of mind to take pics of the crust bottom. I was pleased with the amount of oven spring I got. I have tried stretching the ferment time to as much as nine or ten days with the same recipe and found only a fraction of the same oven spring. With the above factors, I'd say anywhere between 1-4 days in the fridge is a good ferment time. The "slice profile" pic shows the oven spring well. You can also see a bit of brown spots from the side - indicative of a crisp slice. I don't like it to be flaccid or doughy. I'd say just about all the pieces from this batch of pies were crispy enough to be held by the crust end without drooping.

I didn't need so much cheese on the pepperoni here, because of the added grease of the pepperoni. The vegan crust was overdone. I think the lack of cheese makes it cook a bit faster. I'll have to remember that in the future. Sometimes the pies were too light in color - but that was from using too much bench flour which obscured my perception of crust doneness. The cheese pizza's crust was a tad burned on one edge, but the bottom overall had a pleasant amount of char.

When I got a request for a cheese pizza and the results were gobbled up, it reminded me of how sensitive pizza can be to overtopping. The less is more aesthetic is often right. But I still love a pizza with the works and everything in between when done right.

Since I'm using KABF, and no oil in the dough, the slices are chewy but not doughy, crisp but not cracker-like.

No, I didn't use the broiler for a final browning of the top. I've been fairly pleased with the rate of crust cookage to top doneness. I've found that having the cheese, toppings and sauce at room temperature helps a lot to insure a balanced rate of bake. I used to nuke my veggies a bit to extrude some excess water - as I had found in the past that pooling of water on the top could be a problem with a veggie pie. Now I simply make sure to fully dry the veggies with a paper towell (after having washed them) and am careful to slice them thinly. These two factors, along with maxing my oven temperature has usually resulted in evaporation of any excess water. I do still have occaissional problems with gumminess on the top resulting from the toppings coming into contact with the dough surface. But I love the Francesco Rinaldi spaghetti sauce I use; it doesn't need to be drained and it's often only $1.50 per jar at the local supermarket, and it tastes great. Makes no sense to use a sauce twice as expensive that needs to be drained because it's more liquidy. 

Offline roksngr

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »
Look mighty good

Offline embo87

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »
nice job

Offline Crust Lust

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 08:40:28 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I'm gonna make up to 12 pizzas tomorrow during a party. I'll have start a new thread to publish the results. I'll have the camera at the ready, and try to get some of those side and crust views us pizza geeks obsess over, as well as the top shots we all drool over.

Offline CaliforniaPizzaGuy

• Jesus Christ, Family, Beach, AND PIZZA enough said
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 12:04:04 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. I'm gonna make up to 12 pizzas tomorrow during a party. I'll have start a new thread to publish the results. I'll have the camera at the ready, and try to get some of those side and crust views us pizza geeks obsess over, as well as the top shots we all drool over.

Hey crust I will be waiting for some pics  :)

Offline Crust Lust

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Hey crust I will be waiting for some pics  :)

I posted some pie photos from my recent party in a new thread, over in the "New York Style" subforum, since that's pretty much the type of pies I make. You can see it here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9519.0.html

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 12:32:23 PM »
CL,

those are some seriously good looking pies! I especially like the look of the cheese pizza.

Good job!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan