Author Topic: The lightest pizza oven  (Read 3618 times)

Offline montagne

The lightest pizza oven
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
My goal is a portable pizza oven.  No need for bread (I hope).  I want to build it myself on the cheap.  I have experience using cob and I am also looking for the sculptural element that cob can provide.  This oven will need to survive transportation but the mode is as yet undetermined.  I know I need to maintain 700 degrees and also strive for an efficient wood burn. 
Weight is a major factor when selecting transportation vehicles.  How light can I go?  Perlite plus cob in the walls and a firebrick floor?  How thin can the walls be and still hold enough heat?  What about reinforcing against the rigors of travel? 
I have many questions and very few answers.
Thanks for any input.

-mjm

Offline ThunderStik

Re: The lightest pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
I have been conteplating something similar, but not for mobile purposes. I have been thinking of steel welded together to form the shape then lined with firbrick on the inside. The brick would have to be attached with SS bolts and not held tightly (as steel and firebrick would have different thermal expansion rates). Then a layer of high temp insulation on the outside. THis would make for a strong mobile oven also I believe.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline markkus

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
Hi Gang,

I have been searching for the perfect oven for my specific application which seems similar to yours and is based on space. I came across a product out of Michigan called Forno de Pizza. It seems to be everything I am looking for but would like to see if anyone has any experience with them. It can be started with propane then kindled with wood and so on ...reducing the fire-up time.  It can also be disassembled and transported for tailgates and picnics. You may want to check them out. The owner Hugo, is Brazilian and has seemed to develop something that may be perfect.

mark

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
I'd be really curious to see how that oven performs.  It looks to lack insulation over the dome and under the floor, if it has insulation it lacks mass, it is just too thin in the floor and dome to have both.  Couple that with the door that seems to be almost it's entire width.  It also lacks a stack, so you have all that smoke in your face when you cook with it.  Compared to the forno bravo primavera I don't see how it can be much lighter, and the primavera is a proven oven that is well insulated.  Downside of both if the dome height, but I know from experience small ovens don't burn very efficiently with a low dome. 
-Jeff

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »
Beyond the potential thermal mass issues, I'm not really getting the whole propane thing. In order to preheat the floor, you have to burn wood anyway.  Burning wood for the floor, will, naturally, heat the ceiling. Why the propane? Am I missing something?

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »
Hi guys,
I have seen a portable metal wood burning oven,pretty big for portability, it gets really hot inside. The pizza that he made "looked" pretty good but when I tasted a slice the bottom of the crust  was not cooked. I told the owner about it and I made a suggestion. If you want to make a pizza or 2 max for maybe 10 people, it may be ok, but if you want to use it for business the floor has to keep a certain temp all the time, that's why the neapolitan ovens are made to cook pizza under a minute and lots of pizzas like 180 an hour. Pizzaparty from italy is similar, you could put it in your car trunk. Let me know if you disagree.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
Probably sheet metal for the walls and dome, and firebrick for the floor since it has to have some mass to maintain heat.  I don't know how cob and or pearlite would withstand 700+ temps.  I would consider that insulation blanket they use to insulate Wood fired ovens IMO.

Tony

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
look under the hearth section i just did one using the forno bravo giardano 70 kit. the cooking floor is 28 inches. the cement dome and floor weigh 250 pounds and my cover is 91 pounds.the cart which i purchased weighed 200 pounds. i