Author Topic: oil - dough bitter  (Read 1775 times)

Offline artigiano

oil - dough bitter
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
I have heard that oil on a dough in a WFO or high heat oven will make a bitter taste.  I actually noticed a hint of this the last time that I used the WFO and I coated the dough balls with oil.  I am looking into starting to make NY style and am wondering the best way to go about it is.  My method before switching to caputo for a while for Neopolitan style was using pastry and ap or bread white flour.  I was using a 62% hydration and about 60/40 ap flour to pastry.  I was also autolysing around 80% of the flour for around 25 minutes.  I then used a 24hr cold fermentation after kneading and coat the balls with oil.  I leave the dough ball uncovered for 2 hours, 1 hour on each side and then I cover with saran wrap.  Could i use this method without oiling the dough balls?  I am also wondering why the EVO poured on top of the pizzas before baking doesnt produce a bitter taste.  The most important thing I have learned that the less I need the dough, the softer it will be after baking.. so i try now to knead just enough and it turns out great.

p.s. I am also wondering if this is in line with a NY style dough?

al

Offline UnConundrum

Re: oil - dough bitter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:18:08 PM »
Al, I would guess that maybe you're using too much bench flour when shaping your pizza skin.  That dry flour has a tendency to create a bitter taste when the pizza is cooked.

Offline artigiano

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
Ah, could very well be since I used more than usual the last time.  Partly because I was watching some videos where they were using a lot.  I remember hearing that they don't use oil because it creates a bitter taste if in the dough.. that's why the Neapolitan pizzas don't use it and let me to believe it was the reason.  I could be mistaken and since I want to start using a blend of flours for my doughs and heavier toppings I guess its called NY style.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
artigiano,

I don't know what temps you're at but with a WFO I'll assume higher that 550. Oil was put in formulas for 550 so it stays moist and chewy, whereas at high temps you don't need it since it cooks fast and does not dry out. This is why pros here, like tdeane, will say "Oil has no place in pizza" as he cooks in a real pizza oven. (I think he adds beets though, not sure) My advice would be omit oil at higher than say 600.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:44:54 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
(I think he adds beets though, not sure)

Beets??? Are you serious?

Is Tdeane up to something we all don't know about. Yet? And wouldn't it make the dough look reddish?

Hmmm...gives me something to ponder about.  ???
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
artigiano,

(I think he adds beets though, not sure)

Jim, You kill me man. :-D  You're too funny! 

Matt

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Thanks Matt,  8)

Beets??? Are you serious?

Is Tdeane up to something we all don't know about. Yet? And wouldn't it make the dough look reddish?

Hmmm...gives me something to ponder about.  ???

Yep, dead serious Mike. When Terry was a young lad he was the only kid in school who liked beets. All the other kids would cringe on the lunch line on beets day, but Terry would let out a relieved and joyful "ahhhh, beets!" The other kids didn't get it as they watched a young Terry devour his over sized bowl of beets, but as you can below see he showed them all that a love of beets can actually make you a living.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7561.0;attach=12246;image

Ok, so ya with me now?

ps Terry, I hope you take this all in good humor.  ;D I wish I could make pies as good as you, with or without beets.

"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:57:06 PM »
Ok, so ya with me now?

Always, bro!

And I'm sure Terry knows we're just joking around.  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:20:35 AM »
 :-D Great pic Mike!

Artigiano, you have a beautiful oven from what I see in the avatar. Did you build it or have it done? It's almost like it was built by a master craftsman, or an artisan, if you will.

:)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:45 PM »
:-D Great pic Mike!

Artigiano, you have a beautiful oven from what I see in the avatar. Did you build it or have it done? It's almost like it was built by a master craftsman, or an artisan, if you will.

:)

Jimbo,

I meant to type "Ahhh....Beeetz!" into the pic. My bad!
Mike

pizzapan