Author Topic: Great pizza recipe  (Read 2871 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Great pizza recipe
« on: October 06, 2003, 10:36:35 PM »
Hi all,

I was using Google.com tonight to find info on baking stones and came across a site
with a great pizza recipe.

I, tonight make some great pizza, with the help of you guys on this forum, I for the first time
did a retarded dough, - left it in the fridge 24 hours, - wowie what a difference !
I also used shortening instead of oil - something am am not sure about - did it make the dough better or not ... will have to experiment more.

One thing I DID realize, the amount of fat in the dough was not enough.

That's where this recipe comes in , while eating the pizza tonight, my wife and I came to realize that the dough was great, one of the best I have made, BUT... but the dough was too dry.  I didn't use that much shortening, so will up that amount in another batch.

anyway, usually when I use oil in my recipe, I will only use 4 tablespoons, - well here in this recipe I found, you see they use a whopping 1/4 cup of oil - wow !

I'm pretty sure that most pizza joints do NOT worry about fat grams in their dough, they are
concerned that the dough is chewy, and moist, and not dried out.

Anyway, when I saw this recipe I thought - wow.... 1/4 cup of oil, now that makes sense !
I'm going to try out the retarded dough again later this week, and will use 1/4 cup of oil also, and see how this changes the dough - I'm positive it's going to make it amazing.

Sorry for the long story, I guess I was just excited :-)

here's the recipe:

Standard Pizza Dough

2 teaspoons yeast
1/4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (divided)
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Take 1/2 cup of the warm water, and add the yeast and sugar to it. Allow it to sit for about 5-10 minutes, until top has a creamy foam.

Stir in the remaining water, flour, olive oil and salt.

Using hands if necessary, mix dough well. Remove from bowl and knead for 5-10 minutes atop a floured surface.

Place kneaded dough in greased bowl, and allow to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Punch down dough, and divide for 2 pizzas. Roll or press each portion out. Place atop a cornmeal covered pizza peel. Top and bake at 425 degrees.

FULL RECIPE here : http://www.kitchen-classics.com/pizza_recipes.htm

By the way, here is just one image I took tonight of my pizza with the retarded dough
wow it was great !

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Great pizza recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »
Nice looking pizza for sure.  You're on your way now.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Great pizza recipe
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 07:31:57 AM »
Looks awesome!  ;D

You're making me hungry!!  ;)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.