Author Topic: Well, it had to happen eventually!  (Read 2453 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

Well, it had to happen eventually!
« on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
On note of mixers, as I said before, I am convinced that hand kneading is why I get the bubbles I get.

Yeah, ....um, forget about that, I didn't know what I was talking about back then.  :P

So look what I got! It's the pro 5, 450 watt, 10 speed one! Now I just have to relearn all the doughs and pay attention to the "mixed for 4 mins at X speed", etc. Then decide if their speed 3 is my speed 3, all that. I see you don't use spiral above speed 2. By the way it came with a spiral hook, whisk, and flat beater. What else will I need? Paddle hook? C-hook? Fill me in!

Great looking unit, you can get all sorts of wild attachments for pasta, coffee grinding, juice, ravioli, you name it! I know you all know this already, lol, but remember I'm "vintage".

Look, it even matches the Senseo coffee maker!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:11:56 AM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Well, it had to happen eventually!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
It's good to be introspective sometimes right? At least you know what you didn't know way back on the 14th!  :-D

IMO you don't need any other attachments for mixing other than what came with your unit. The beater blade is pretty cool looking - http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-5-Quart-KitchenAid-Mixers/dp/B0015TMHSI/?tag=pizzamaking-20 even though I wouldn't use it.

Attachments-The KA meat grinder works good, and I used mine for years before getting dedicated grinder. I also regularly use the pasta roller attachment. I received the juicer, and slicer attachments as gifts, but sold them.  :-[

Enjoy,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. Yes I googled spiral hook vs C-hook and all I read seems to state the spiral is better than the C for kneading. I was even  linked back to this thread.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4064.0

I'm not sure what the paddle hook use is, but I see it come up a lot here. It's nice to hear I'm ready to go though! I just initiated it with Jerry Mac's  higher hydrated dough, something I used to have to add more flour for when hand kneading to compensate, to try it it's true form. Also this way I can see some results today. The whisk works well, I cranked it up at the end to really mix it, very exciting stuff! It's the kneading, when all flour is in, that I am curious to see results on. Peter said 3.5 mins on speed 2 once you get all in. We shall see!

I'm really excited to do 4 ball batches of Glutenboy's and Lehmann, was an exhausting hand knead I must say, and Mike and SD girl have been telling me for months mixed is ''soooo much better''.
 :D
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
Yo, Vintage Boy!

This will be your personal Zen!  ;D

You'll have tons of fun with this thing, trust me. If you get the attachment to make sausages, boy...you'll be cranking out sausage pizzas for years to come. lol

Have fun with it, Jim!

P.S.: I heard the cheese grater attachment isn't so bad, either. Just sayin'... ::)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:40 PM »
What else will I need?

I really like the KA meat grinder attachment, but I vote "NO" on the little plastic sausage stuffing tube attachment. Maybe it is because I make a lot of sausage or, more likely, because I am a major klutz, but it is very difficult for me to use without foul language at high decibels.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
Bill, I'm surprised you have a KA! The only mixer I ever saw from your videos was this wicked thing.

Now that kneads! Love your cooking blog btw, just great stuff.

Mike, yeah man, it does everything. I added some random ingredients, put it on for 4 minutes, and look what came out!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/450165073_c0f2cf59f5.jpg?v=0

Amazing eh!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:21:43 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
Mike, yeah man, it does everything. I added some random ingredients, put it on for 4 minutes, and look what came out!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/450165073_c0f2cf59f5.jpg?v=0

Amazing eh!

Beautiful! An Egyptian pizza.

Damn, I gotta get me some of that spiral thingy, too. Har, har...Captain Hook, fork it over!
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
Mike, I can see why they say not to exceed speed 2 with the spiral hook. I did a 1000 gram 4 ball Glutenboy batch yesterday, and a 1 ball Jerry mac which was ok but I need to work on kneading time. Needed more I feel, or less, hard to tell but it was tougher with less puff than when I hand kneaded. Toughest Mac pie ever actually, hard to gauge why as I'm new at this mixer thang, thoughts?

Anyway with 1000g ball you hear motor strain each full rotation, a whirring or sorts. Powerful beast though, cut right through. It's cool how the dough rides up the hook but then spits it out the top and starts again. I was really impressed with the time it didn't take, and the end ball was nice and smooth and definitely kneaded.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:26:19 AM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
Mike, I can see why they say not to exceed speed 2 with the spiral hook. Anyway with 1000g ball you hear motor strain each full rotation, a whirring or sorts.

Don't do it man, that's how I sent mine to the morgue!

Matt

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
So you think 3 ball batches are better eh? Yeah I don't want to blow it out 1 week in. This is all on speed 2 mind you, not higher, I didn't try that!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
So you think 3 ball batches are better eh? Yeah I don't want to blow it out 1 week in. This is all on speed 2 mind you, not higher, I didn't try that!

Ya, I think so, besides you don't want to overheat the dough prematurely.  Keep em coming bro!

Matt

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
I really like the KA meat grinder attachment, but I vote "NO" on the little plastic sausage stuffing tube attachment. Maybe it is because I make a lot of sausage or, more likely, because I am a major klutz, but it is very difficult for me to use without foul language at high decibels.

Bill,

What do you use instead for sausage making? Also, what casings do you buy and where from?

I already got the slicer/shredder and the meat grinder is on the way.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
Bill,

What do you use instead for sausage making? Also, what casings do you buy and where from?

I already got the slicer/shredder and the meat grinder is on the way.

I've had this stuffer for maybe 15 years. Perfect size for the batches I make.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/50510sausagestuffer5lb.aspx

I buy casings from:

http://www.theingredientstore.com/

but is has been a long time since I ordered from there because casings last forever if properly stored. It doesn't look like they sell the kind of casings I used to order.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:26:14 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »
Thanks much Bill.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 05:01:34 PM »
I've had this stuffer for maybe 15 years. Perfect size for the batches I make.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/50510sausagestuffer5lb.aspx

I have the same one from sausagemaker--works great. A friend of mine got this from Northern Tool-http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308623_200308623?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product%20Page . He has not used it yet so I can't say either way, but the price is nice.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.