Author Topic: Anybody from Alaska still here?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Anybody from Alaska still here?
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:35:41 AM »
If so, I wanted to let people know about a new Italian market that I stumbled upon by accident earlier today. Anzilotti's Tuscan Market. From what I saw, basically everything in the store seems to be imported from Italy. Which is pretty amazing considering we're in Alaska. I mostly went in to see what type of pizza-rated products they had and wound up buying quite a few other items. Anyway, I thought I'd give a report on what I found there. Their 00 flour seems to be something you would use for pastries, although it does mention pizza on the back of the bag. I already have some 00 Caputo Blue, so I didnt get any. Their's was Italbrand Superfine 00 Wheat Flour. They did have a brand of San Marzano tomatoes that I have never seen in Alaska: Agri Genus DOP San Marzano's. This is the can: http://www.agrigenus.com/grafica/latta_small.jpg Haven't tried them yet, but the owner of the store said I was sure to be impressed. The other bit of interesting news was that he told me they should have some fresh Bufala Mozzarella arriving in about 10 days.

I haven't looked through the whole thing yet, but they have a website as well: http://www.anzilottistuscanmarket.com/

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Re: Anybody from Alaska still here?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
I feel funny replying to myself, but I thought I'd give an update on the buffalo mozzarella at Anzilotti's in case anyone in Anchorage is interested. It actually isn't mozzarella, it is burrata. Which is a combination of mozzarella and cream. I found the flavor to be great, but the texture was way too soft & wet for pizza (for me anyway).

Through my family's local foodservice company, I've been able to order and try a few different buffalo mozzarella products, and the best I've found so far is a new product from Mozzarella Fresca. I believe it's called Pomella Mozzarella di Bufala. It was really, really good and had a shelf life of about 12 days after it arrived in Alaska. I'd rather not give out my family's business name because we don't keep these type of items in stock. But, if anyone is interested, I can probably get some more of it. I also have a couple of cases of 2.2kg Caputo 00 pizza flour if anyone wants to buy a bag or two. Just email me. I'm not looking to make any money off of this, I'm just offering it as a favor to any local home pizza makers. I have no idea what the price would be off the top of my head, but it would be the same % mark-up that we sell our items to restaurants.

Steve

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Re: Anybody from Alaska still here?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Hey Steve,

I'm still kicking around in fairbanks.  I would be interested in purchasing some Caputo.  How we get it from you to me may be a little interesting.

pizzapan