Author Topic: Bulk pepperoni  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Trogdor33

Bulk pepperoni
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »
I had normally been buying pepperoni from Meijer (a midwest grocery chain) and wasn't terribly satisfied with the results. I had tried hormel and their store brand. They oiled off far too much and never got to that point where the pepperoni curls upwards and gets cripsy the way that pizza hut pepperoni does. IMHO, there is nothing quite like the crispy pepperoni on a PH pan pizza. I went to GFS for my weekly pizza making supplies and ended up seeing a 5lb bag of GFS brand pepperoni on sale for $10. Normally I pay $2 for 6oz so even though it didn't look as good, I decided that it would be worth a try. Let me tell you, I was totally surprised. Not only did it have the slightly smoky taste and crispy crunch to it like PH pepperoni, but it didn't oil off anywhere near as much as the stuff I had been using.

Just another lesson learned how virtually anything you buy at a restaurant supply place tastes better than what you can get at the grocery store. I wonder though if it's just because we are conditioned to like their flavors because we have tasted it at restaurants and associate it with them or because it is actually better quality.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Guts

Re: Bulk pepperoni
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:43:08 PM »
I was buying mine at the Italian market and using my slicer , the cost and time was not worth it. I have been buying 5Lb bags at Smart and Final and have been happy with it / cost around 10 bucks.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

pizzapan