Author Topic: Pizza Stone versus Oven Hearth Kit  (Read 4094 times)

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Pizza Stone versus Oven Hearth Kit
« on: February 25, 2005, 04:46:56 PM »
Hi- Yesterday I  pre-heated my oven to 550 with a typical pizza stone in it for 1 hour. The pizza dough was made with  KASL and was in the fridge for 24 hours and then out for 2 hours. The pizza turned out to be pretty good- the bottom was not as browned as some of the posted photo's- but was better than anything we can buy locally {Napa Ca.}
       Today I made a second pizza from the same batch of dough and used an oven hearth kit which has 1 inch thick bottom piece and two side pieces. The dough was a hassle stretching- due to the extra 24 hours in the fridge, but finally got it to  the right size. I pre- heated the oven to 550 and the hearth was only at 425 at that time { the hearth has a thermometer}. I continued to heat the oven for an additional 30 minutes and the hearth reached 550. I put the pizza in and after about 4 minutes the bottom was perfect, but the top had not browned yet. I took the pizza out and turned the broiler on high and put it back in. After about 1 minute the top was done. The pizza was great.
         I'm going to try the hearth on my BBQ and try cooking at 600-650 to see if I get the top done at the same time as the bottom
         Thanks for all the time all of you have put in and useful info  to help others in the quest for a great home made pizza. I guess a lot of wanna-bees equals 1 pro-- with no ego's involved - ?Right Bubba

Thanks Again---Mel

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Stone versus Oven Hearth Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »
Mel,

Out of curiosity, what dough recipe were you using? And was the dough too elastic (springing back) or too extensible (too stretchy)?

Peter

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »
Peter- I was using your recipe from 9/27/04-Weighing everything on a digital scale. The dough was to elastic. I thought it was from the extra 24 hours in the fridge---Mel

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 05:44:24 PM »
Mel,

I was wondering whether you were using the Lehmann recipe. But I have not experienced over-elasticity. Usually, it is over-extensibility that is the problem (not a serious one, though). Since I posted that original recipe, I have gone to a 63% hydration for the Lehmann recipe. You might want to try the newer recipe, which is posted at Reply #86 at the Lehmann thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.80.html. Usually, elasticity diminishes with time. But if the dough isn't warm enough before shaping, it can also be a bit harder to shape without resistance.

In the meantime, if your dough is ever too elastic but has otherwise warmed up enough to where you should be able to shape it, just let it rest on the counter for a few minutes and then pick up where you left off. Sometimes you may need to do this two or three times to get the gluten to relax enough to where you can shape and form it. But one thing you don't want to do with a dough like the Lehmann dough is to reball it just before you start to shape it. The dough will tighten up so much that it will take a long time to get it back to where you can shape it. 

Peter
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 06:03:39 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 10:42:43 AM »
       Today I made a second pizza from the same batch of dough and used an oven hearth kit which has 1 inch thick bottom piece and two side pieces. I pre- heated the oven to 550 and the hearth was only at 425 at that time { the hearth has a thermometer}. I continued to heat the oven for an additional 30 minutes and the hearth reached 550.                                                                          Thanks Again---Mel

Mel,  The HearthKit needs to be heated up to 550 for at least an hour!! ]to get maximum benefit.  I have found that toppings fully cook using the 1 hour pre-heat.  It takes that long for the ceramic sides to heat up all the way through.  I have tried to by-pass the pre-heat and have also had the uneven baking problem you mention.

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 01:27:44 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has ever cooked a pizza on a stone or the Hearth Kit, with another stone on top of it or on the next shelf up.  Seems like a natural way to go to get even more intense heat and cook the toppings faster.

Pizza Meister
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 02:22:48 PM »
Pizza Meister-The Hearth Kit does come with a stainless grate to use for roasting and other foods. I can put a pizza stone on top of that to radiate heat down. I will try it this coming week. It seems like that should help to crisp the top. Thanks for the idea. ---Mel

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 07:08:43 PM »
Mel,

Sounds like a plan!!!! Do let us know how it works.  I am assuming you are planning on preheating the whole thing.  BTW, in general, how happy have you been with the Hearth Kit, vs. its cost.  Problems or negatives?  I am thinking of approaching Hearth Kitchen Co. about offereing my Super Peel with their product.  It does seem a good match up, but I know their sales have been far below projections, even with endorsement of Peter Reinhart and a lot of promo by Baker's Catalogue and others. I think it is just a little too pricey.  Comment??

Pizza Meister
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 04:37:19 PM »
HearthKit goes for about $200 plus tax at our local Sur La Table store, you have to bake about 20 pies to break even!!! :o

Everything after that is gravy!  Remember, wives love it too for baking and roasting!!

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

pizzapan