Author Topic: What pizza did you bake tonight  (Read 8355 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: What pizza did you bake tonight
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
Peter,
I just posted yesterday under Chicago Style     
Decided to Try Neopolitan-inspired Caputo deep-dish because I wanted to try a recipe at home for a deep-dish.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9880.msg85845.html#new
This was a recipe you had posted at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2365.msg20625.html#msg2062 Reply 6
I was looking for a recipe that I could try at home, using the ingredients and equipment I had.
Your recipe turned out well.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
EV...lookin good!

Norma .... I"m gonna visit you one day and we can "toss" a few doughs !
FB
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Fred,
Yes, stop by anytime.  :)
Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »
A Sicilian, topped with cooked sauce, mozz, black and green olives, onion, chopped dill pickle, bacon, anchovies, and green pepper. Baked for a total of 20 minutes (including parbaking) @ 450. Tasted awesome. Epic win. I took a pic, but it's about 10 times the size of the upload limit here so the hell with it.

-JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 06:13:52 PM »
chopped dill pickle,

Now that's a topping i haven't heard of before....  Does it release a lot of liquid?

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
Now that's a topping i haven't heard of before....  Does it release a lot of liquid?

I press the chopped pickle between a few sheets of absorbent paper towel before I put it on. In any case, I use it only in very small quantities, almost as though a spice (we're talking a 2 1/2-3 inch section of pickle for an entire pizza).

-JLP

Offline Guts

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
Tonight's pie was,artichoke and sun dried tomatoes.

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
Were you inside the oven when you took the pictures :-D, looks good.

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
That is one fine looking pizza....  tempting :)

Offline Guts

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
BrickStoneOven&UnConundrum

Thanks for the kind words, I was getting fed up of the same old pie, sausage / pepperoni / cheese / onion / mushroom pie. After making the My Never to be Forgotten Garlic Bread I thought I would use some artichokes on a pie. I was quite pleased with the results. I have used Sun dried Tomatoes before. The first time I did this was a disaster, the OIL in the Sun Dried tomatoes ran over the side on the stone and the floor of the oven. You can imagine the smoke it made... now when I use Sun Dried tomatoes I micro wave them just enough to get them hot... then remove them to a double paper towel or a tripled towel to soak up the oil before the they go on the pie.
As far as the artichokes' they are caned and Not marinated.

BTW UnConundrum I am going to try the Bread you posted [(http://www.recipesonrails.com/recipes/show/665-multi-seed-bread)] I like any thing that use's sun flower seeds. I have a short grain brown rice recipe that I make with sun flower seeds in it that I like a lot.

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 05:46:53 AM »
These are two pizza I made yesterday with a higher hydration of the Lehmann dough I am using.  The one was baked longer.
Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2009, 07:31:39 PM »
Sauce, mozz, pepperoni, anchovies, bacon, mushrooms, green pepper. Baked on stone @ 550 for 10 minutes. Crust has properties of both the NY and American styles and so is a kind of hybrid of the two.

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
Beautiful shape to your pizza :)

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2009, 10:09:03 PM »
Beautiful shape to your pizza :)

It's a result of forming it on parchment paper without picking the dough up, which pretty much guarantees a perfectly round shape no matter what you do. Now if I'd picked it up and hand-tossed it, with my skills it probably would have come out looking like a Rorschach ink-blot or something...

-JLP

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
Norma,
 If I were walking by your stand and saw that ? Well lets just say my wallet would be out immediately  ;D they look great! both.
Looks like you used a huge cookie cutter on that nicely shaped pie. Reminds me of Abilak who used similar technique but screen not parchment
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »
John,
Thanks, and they were hand stretched and baked on deck.  Still am having problems..in the morning the crust is not that airy, but by late afternoon..evening..nice and airy..must be they are the ones with longer ferment.
Norma
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:33:50 PM by norma427 »

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »
Norma,

Do you take all your dough out in the morning and let it sit at room temp until you use it or do you have some other process?

-Joe
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 06:24:41 AM »
Joe,
I mix how many batches I think I need on Monday, weigh, ball, wipe with oil and put into plastic balls right away, (for balling each batch takes about 10 minutes because I have help from my mother) and then straight into the deli case or pizza prep refrigerator, Since my stand is small so there isn't enough room to put the dough into dough boxes and cool them down quick enough.  That is why I am using plastic bags on the advise of Tom Lehmann.  This way the dough is cooled down quickly.  Tuesday morning, turn on the propane, light the oven, get dough balls out I think I might need in the next two hours, put on marble slab for warm up.  Keep getting dough balls out of deli case or pizza prep refrigerator to warm up as needed.  I wait a little over an hour and a half until my oven and dough balls warm up to start making pizza.  I try to take the first batch I had made the day before out first to make the pizzas.  I also might have some dough left from the week before, which I put directly from the deli case into the freezer until the next week.  I usually find this frozen dough has are more airy crust than the dough I made the day before. When I get to market Tuesday I also take a few frozen dough balls out of the deli case and let them defrost on the marble slab and then use them when they defrost.  Its hard to decide exactly how many dough balls you will need for each week, since I am only making pizza one day a week.  I find my frozen dough and the dough left in the deli case until late afternoon or evening is more airy.  That is why I said those two pizzas where made in the late afternoon, early evening. 
I have never tried to make my dough the same day as market and then just let it out and use it.  There are too many other things to do, like washing pizza pans, pans used for making cheese sticks, pizza pinwheels, garlic knots and anything else I might be trying to make. Also, filling napkin containers and keep wiping things off to keep them clean. You wouldn't believe how many dishes there are to wash each day.  I grate what cheese I think I might need on Monday.  If I have an usually busy day, I might have to grate some cheese later in the day on Tuesday.  Since I am a food approved stand you never know when a food inspector might drop by, so you have to try and keep everything up to code.  My stand is inspected by the Department of Agriculture.  I also had to take a test every 5 years to see if I know all the codes of handling food properly. My inspector is a bugger and he will site you for a violation on the smallest thing.  When we had caramel corn stand they werenít this intense, but then we werenít making what they call hazardous food.  When I had my salsa stand he cited me for having samples out of tortilla chips in a food safe container and not having a sneeze guard in front of it.  My stand hasnít gotten any violations yet, but if you are really busy and he comes, he will even check to see if your water you keep to wipe surfaces is exactly right. There are so many codes you have to follow.
Since there is a difference in our weather here from winter, spring, summer, and fall and how the weather is outside, whether it is hot, cool, cold, raining, snowing and the market is not air conditioned, I can see how that also effects my dough.  From summer when it is hot inside the market to now when I make my dough and it was 48 degrees inside the stand yesterday when I made my dough, the water for my dough sometimes must be either taken from the deli case in the summer to heating the water on the electric hot plate yesterday to get a finished dough temperature of between 80 to 85 degrees.  There are so many variables in making my dough with each season.
My oven is a double deck and of course the bottom deck gets hotter.  That is where I try to make most of the pizzas.  I make and then keep the cheese sticks, garlic knots, pizza pinwheels in the deli case.  Some customers want to just take them home and warm up and others want to eat them at market.  If they want to eat them at market, they are put on a screen and reheated in the oven.  It all depends on how many times the oven is being open and shut on how constant the temperature stays in the oven.  When a pizza is made it is put directly into the pizza merchandiser.  It is humidified and keeps a constant heat.  Some customers just want it taken directly out of the deli case and others want it put into the oven so the crust will be more crispy. 
Sorry to be rambling on, but that is what goes into making the dough and a day at market.
In the end, I usually find the dough that has been fermenting the longest from the day before is the better dough.
Aren't you sorry you asked?  ::)
Norma
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:31:01 AM by norma427 »

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 10:15:01 AM »
Norma,

Thanks for your detailed response. I am actually glad I asked. I am always interested to know the details of how a commercial operation works since there are so many issues/challenges I would just never think of (like the place being 48 deg when you are making dough). I was just trying to figure out how your afternoon crusts would be better than your morning ones. I take my dough out of the fridge at 7:30 am when I am going to bake at noon and that usually works pretty well, so I was thinking you may have been taking out all your dough for the day and leaving it to warm up. If this is what you were doing, it would make sense that your afternoon dough that has been warming up since morning would be better off.

Since it's so cold there on monday, I wonder if this might be a good experiment for you. Next monday, since it's so cold, leave a dough ball or two to sit on the counter after you make them up instead of putting them in the cooler. That way, as soon as they turn on the heat in the morning on tuesday, your dough will be warming up. Since your ambient temp on monday is only ~10 deg warmer than your cooler and the dough gets to warm up as soon as possible, you may be able to sneak in that extra fermentation to make the dough perform like the stuff in the afternoon.

-Joe
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
Joe,
Running any food stand or pizza business has many challenges. Each standholder just learns to deal with whatever problems come up. You just never know what people are going to buy from week to week.  You have your regular customers, but you never know what people will want to buy.
I usually try to have my dough warming up at least 2 hours before I use it.
Your idea of letting some dough balls set out from Monday sounds interesting.  :)  I will try that next week and let you know how it works out. Yesterday, when I was at market making dough it was 48 degrees.  Before I was finished making the dough and grating the cheese there was a drain clogged in another stand from grease.  The maintenance men at market and plumbers came to try and get the drain unclogged.  Then they turned on all the heaters to work on the drains and before I left market the temperature was 68 degrees F.  You just never know what will affect your dough.  ::)
Norma