Author Topic: What pizza did you bake tonight  (Read 8635 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: What pizza did you bake tonight
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
Made a pizza from the dough leftover from the Kimmelweck Rolls Bill/SFNM had posted.  The taste of this pizza was really different.  Melt in your mouth crust.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »
Norma,

That pizza looks great. How did your weck turn out?

-Joe

Edit: just noticed and now reading the kimmelweck thread where you most likely answer that question...  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:30:42 AM by Trogdor33 »
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »
Ugh.... what a bad, bad, bad night.   Three friends from the "in the kitchen" forum at knifeforums.com stopped by tonight.  I knew they were coming so I started a dough on Monday morning and fired up the wood stove about 11:00 am today.  I was in a meeting from 2:00 - 4:00, so the WFO was on its own.  Well.... it didn't really saturate itself with heat...  I threw some more wood on, and it seemed to be up to temp when they arrived around 4:30.  After showing them around, I went for the first dough (which have been sitting at room temp since they were made).  It was the worst dough that I can ever remember making.  I swear I could blow on it and it'd rip.  I had to patch hole after hole.  Guess I didn't knead it enough... sure seemed fine when I'd do folds, but, I have no other explanation.  Rose beautifully, oven spring was ok, just was miserable to work with and somewhat tough when baked.  Oh yeah, baking.  Well, I guess not enough heat sunk into the hearth.  The cheese would start browning and there would be virtually no color to the bottom of the pie :(  First two pies were tolerable, but the third was trash.  So one of the guys asked for a chicken ceasar pizza.  Went to find some chicken (I always keep some sous-vide chicken in the freezer) and ... let's just say the pickings were slim.  I went on to make the ceasar dresssing ( RECIPE HERE ) which I can usually make in my sleep, and it just wouldn't thicken up;  seemed like water.  I used it anyway, and took advantage of the time it took to make the dressing to refire the WFO and spread coals on the hearth.  That was probably the best pizza of the night, but far from stellar.  I'm going to hit the rack and pull the covers over my head!  Here's a pic of the Caesar pizza

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2009, 11:34:45 PM »
I feel your pain Warren! Those are indeed bad days, especially when you have a reputation to live up to!  :P
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2009, 08:02:52 AM »
They did not even notice right ? and they loved it? I am the same way very critical of my work especially pizza, I have also had theses days.
JOHN
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
Used Matt's spreadsheet that expands on Marco's Sicilian dough with semolina.  Made the poolish last night and let it sit till about 3:00 pm today at room temperature, longer than suggested and at a warmer temp.  That said, it still wasn't ready to collapse.  I used 85% KAAP and not bread flour.  Baked the pie at 450F.  The toppings were a fairly close rendition of the the potato and rosemary recipe that Peter pointed out.  The dough was outstanding.  The topping we found somewhat too rich.  I feel this is a common situation with a white pizza.  IMHO, tomato sauces cut the richness of the cheese, but here we had a butter sauce that added to the richness.  Also, we found it somewhat salty, perhaps from the soy sauce marinade on the chicken.  I'm being pretty critical here, but to put in in perspective, the 3 of us ate 3/4 of the pizza...

Offline Matthew

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
Used Matt's spreadsheet that expands on Marco's Sicilian dough with semolina.  Made the poolish last night and let it sit till about 3:00 pm today at room temperature, longer than suggested and at a warmer temp.  That said, it still wasn't ready to collapse.  I used 85% KAAP and not bread flour.  Baked the pie at 450F.  The toppings were a fairly close rendition of the the potato and rosemary recipe that Peter pointed out.  The dough was outstanding.  The topping we found somewhat too rich.  I feel this is a common situation with a white pizza.  IMHO, tomato sauces cut the richness of the cheese, but here we had a butter sauce that added to the richness.  Also, we found it somewhat salty, perhaps from the soy sauce marinade on the chicken.  I'm being pretty critical here, but to put in in perspective, the 3 of us ate 3/4 of the pizza...

Very nice!  The crumb looks perfect.

Matt

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »
Thanks for saving me the math Matt.  Not that I couldn't do it, but it was really a nice spreadsheet.  Highly recommended to everyone.  Oh, if anyone is interested, I used 16" square pans and a .125 thickness factor.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »
Thanks for saving me the math Matt.  Not that I couldn't do it, but it was really a nice spreadsheet.  Highly recommended to everyone.  Oh, if anyone is interested, I used 16" square pans and a .125 thickness factor.

Thanks, I can't take all the credit for it.  It was a collaboration between me & Robert (Bob1)

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »
Warren,

The crumb looks so delicious!  ;D  You are making me so hungry.  Havenít eaten right in 2 days.

Thanks for posting pictures,

Norma

Matt and Bob1,

Didnít get around to using your spreadsheet yet, but looking forward to using it. 

Thanks for figuring it out!  :)

Thanks,
Norma

Offline Guts

Re: What pizza did you bake tonight/with pics.
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2010, 11:05:16 PM »
Ground ham, and onion pie.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:53:42 PM by Guts »
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
Dollops of Mascarpone and Mozzarella cheese followed by fresh minced garlic over the cheese.
Baked at around 825 degrees. This crust was Capuo 00 Rosso flour based.

Fresh parsley and prosciutto went on after the pie cooked.
This was great, melt in my mouth pizza.
One of my favorites for a white pizza.

Chris

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »
The pizza that I baked tonight was based on a dough that fermented at a room temperature of about 62-65 degrees F for a bit over 3 days. The dough comprised only flour, water and salt. No commercial yeast and no natural starter. Just the wild Texas yeast that floated around as I made the dough.

Peter

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:22 AM »
Pete, Your pizza's always get me craving pizza!!! I'm a big fan of the classic pepperoni pizza. :pizza:

How many oz's of cheese did you use for that pie? Also what brand? :D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »
The pizza that I baked tonight was based on a dough that fermented at a room temperature of about 62-65 degrees F for a bit over 3 days. The dough comprised only flour, water and salt. No commercial yeast and no natural starter. Just the wild Texas yeast that floated around as I made the dough.

Peter

Peter,

Your pie looks delicious.  :)  It's interesting to hear you didn't use any kind of yeast, only the wild yeast in Texas.  Do you mind telling me what kind of formula you used?  Three days fermented at room temperature is quite awhile.

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:14:08 PM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
Norma,

Thank you. I posted the photo to see who might detect the uniqueness of the pizza. I commend you for your perspicacity. For details, see Replies 124/125 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg89301.html#msg89301.

Peter

scott123

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »
Peter, I recognized it as a continuation of your wild yeast experimentation but was just waiting for more pictures until I said anything  ;D

So, it's safe to assume that the same airborne yeasts that are present in the summer are present in the winter as well?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
So, it's safe to assume that the same airborne yeasts that are present in the summer are present in the winter as well?

scott123,

Apparently so. In some respects, it seems that my dough, with a hydration of 57%, is like a "biga natural" that preferments at room temperature for several days. But, instead of incorporating it into a final mix, you just bake it up and eat it ;D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »
Peter,

That is interesting about how you and Marc were both doing the same experiments in different locations.  I will have to apply those principles someday to see what kind of results can be achieve with wild yeast in my area.

Thanks for posting the link,

Norma

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »
What was the cheese please? :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

pizzapan