Author Topic: Speed pizza  (Read 1054 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Speed pizza
« on: March 04, 2005, 04:20:47 PM »
I know this goes against the grain of everything this forum is about....but here's my story.  Last summer a friend of mine and I came home late after a bluegrass festival (wife was out of town).  I had mentioned that I make a lot of pizza, so my friend casually said "Maybe you should make a pizza".

I considered it a challenge.  It was about 1 or 2 in the AM so I figured I had an hour, tops, to have something ready to eat.  The stove and pizza stone were cold and the flour was still dry.

So I doubled up on the yeast, ran the mixer extra fast, proofed on top of the stove by the heat vent, etc.  Hand chopped a can of whole tomatoes.  I didn't have any mozz., but I did have a few slices of Provolone.

I tried to act real casual about it, all the while feeding my friend more beer and bluegrass on the stereo.  In under an hour we were eating and he thought it was excellent.

Give it a try sometime, it's fun!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Speed pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 05:06:20 PM »
Guy,

I have done the same sort of thing but using 00 flour to make a Neapolitan style pizza--all within an hour from start to finish. I use more yeast than usual, I use the hottest water the yeast (IDY) will tolerate (I heat the water in the microwave to between 120-130 degrees F), I knead everything in a food processor at high speed (with the metal blade attached), and I use a proofing box for proofing the dough (sometimes accompanied by moisture from a boiling cup of water). Before I do anything with the dough, I set the oven and my pizza stone to the highest temperature possible (around 500-550 degrees F), and I crank the proofing box to its highest possible setting (around 120 degrees F). I also use the smallest container that I can to hold the dough as it is rising so that the energy isn't wasted on heating the container. Following these steps, the stone is heated to a usable temperature in about 30-40 minutes, and the dough is ready to come out of the proofing box by about the same time. Forming, shaping, dressing and baking the pizza take about 10-15 minutes total.

I tried using the above approach using other types of flours and while I was able to make pizzas, the crust was not as good as using doughs made from 00 flour. They had more of a cardboard texture. I found that I could combine some all-purpose flour with 00 flour and get a fairlly decent pizza also. I learned a lot about dough dynamics from pushing everything to the limit, just as you did. As long as I didn't exceed 138-140 degrees F, the temperature that would kill the yeast, I felt I would be OK. And so it was.

BTW, the above approach I described is one that I most often use in making the pizzas with eggs, as reported on the Pizza with Egg thread. (For those who are interested, the details of the proofing box are set forth on the Proofing Box thread.)

Peter