Author Topic: caputo pasta flour  (Read 1208 times)

Online widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
caputo pasta flour
« on: November 22, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »
Hey all,  I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the caputo pasta flour?  I have searched the forum and came up with a post from pete-za saying that it is made from soft wheat,  not durum wheat.  Other than that the caputo site says little,  but mentions first extraction startches and resistant gluten.  Well I grabed a bag of it the other day for some winter sicilian style experiments,  some possible fresh pasta making,  and I figured I'd try it for neapolitan style pizzas.  The results were unexpectedly great.  I did a 24 hour room ferment with fresh yeast.  This is my first time using fresh yeast in all of my years of pizzamaking,  as its the first time I have found it.  The local store had it in for the holiday.  I really like it so far.  Well,  here are the pictures from the other night,  the bake time was apx.  90 seconds maybe a bit less.  I used 60% as a hydration and the dough mixed up into a really nice sheeny ball.  It reminded me of a high gluten type feel,  which is why i am wondering if anyone knows much about this flour.  Ehen strectching,  it was not as extensible as its pizzeria counterpart,  but really didn't oresent any problem at all.  The oven spring was phenomonal,  and the crumb nice and open and randomly structured.  The pizza was not tough at all,  but did seem to have a better crisp to it than the pizzeria flour.  Excuse the browned up cheese,  I can't get anything that stands up to the heat around here.  I am going to use it for a sicilian style pizza tommorow. Here are some pictures.  -marc

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: caputo pasta flour
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »
that pie looks great. will you share your recipe and procedure ? i want to give it a try . is that sicilian oregano on that pie?