Author Topic: Wood fired oven cure mishap  (Read 1980 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Wood fired oven cure mishap
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:41:38 AM »

This made the local TV news in CT. Sounds like it was quite a mess. On TV, a plywood form was mentioned. Kind of like he was trying to burn the form out.

Fire damages pizza oven, closes street in Prospect

BY QUANNAH LEONARD REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

PROSPECT -- A fire in a brick pizza oven at Cafe 68 created so much smoke Monday that firefighters couldn't make out the building or the street, fire officials said.

No one was injured, said Assistant Fire Chief Robert J. Chatfield, who is also the town's mayor.

The Volunteer Fire Department of Prospect received a call at about 3 p.m. for a possible structure fire at 22 Union City Road. A portion of Union City Road, also known as Route 68, was closed in both directions between Hydelor Avenue and Old Schoolhouse Road.

The restaurant owner, whose name was not available, was trying to cure a brick pizza oven under construction, Fire Marshal Keith C. Griffin said. He burned the wood inside the oven, but forgot to put the front doors on, he said.

Thick smoke billowed out into the road, blocking traffic, Chatfield said. "You couldn't see the street there was so much smoke," he said.

When firefighters arrived, Chatfield went around to the back of the building, but couldn't see any flames. The owner shouted the fire was in the pizza oven, he said.

Firefighters ran a line to extinguish the fire, and used fans to ventilate the cafe, Chatfield said. It took 10 to 12 minutes to knock down the fire, he said.

To read the complete story see Tuesday's Republican-American or our electronic edition at http://republicanamerican.ct.newsmemory.com.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Wood fired oven cure mishap
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »
He burned the wood inside the oven, but forgot to put the front doors on, he said.

Huh?  ???

Offline pacoast

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:18:24 PM »
Huh?

The hearth door(s), such as you would use to close the oven after the fire is out for baking bread. Some people have such a door with a small venturi that allows a limited amount of air intake to the oven. The thought is that it reduces wood consumption during warm up by forcing the wood to burn slower. I don't know how effective this is in WFOs, but the principle is employed in wood burning fireplaces to increase efficiency i.e. reduce wood consumption and/or maximize heat transfer.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »
Since he was trying to cure a new oven I suspect the oven might have been improperly designed in the first place or he overbuilt the wood fire from inexperience...or both. Wood-fired pizza ovens that I know about don't utilize doors.
Davydd

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:52:29 PM »
Mine has a cast iron door that I close after done baking. Even without a door, I have trouble seeing how a fire to cure an oven could produce so much smoke that firefighters could not even see the building.

Offline BurntFingers

• My son, nephew and me
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
If he had the hood on in the kitchen the draft from the chimney would be negated and pulled down and through the hood into the neighborhood.  Any WFO inside needs draft from outside to work properly.  If the exhaust hood is on pulling air out of the building and no window is open to make up for the vacuum then the smoke will come through the building and into the street and not up the chimney.   :'(

pizzapan