Author Topic: Pizza bowls or Baskets  (Read 4422 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Pizza bowls or Baskets
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »
I was thinking about other ways to use my pizza dough.  I decided to try and make pizza bowls or baskets.  My first attempt today went okay.  I will experiment on this for awhile. 
For the first bowl, I used my regular KASL Lehmann pizza dough.  They are the first 3 pictures.  For the last 3 pictures I used dough that had been left over for 8 days.  You can see the dough that was 8 days old had many bubbles.
I am going to experiment on what to put in them.  I have been thinking maybe about hamburger with pizza toppings, chicken with hot sauce or other ideas.  The pizza bowls are small and made with only 4oz. of pizza dough. 
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ThunderStik

Re: Pizza bowls or Baskets
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:45:45 AM »
Very nice Norma! You sure are creative with pizza dough. I made something similar out of some Alton Brown doughs when i first started. I put some homemade stew in mine.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
ThunderStik,
Thank you.  The homemade stew sounds great!  How did your Alton Brown dough turn out?
Norma

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
Norma;
This is a GREAT idea...They would make great salad bowls,
great chili bowls, etc, etc.  Also, this size dough would  make
fantastic calzones...I love the way you think...waste nothing!
Buffalo ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
Buffalo,
Thanks and your ideas on what to use them are great, too.  I will be doing some more experimenting on making these bowls and seeing what I want to use them. I did make all kinds of chili before for sale at market and don't know if I want to go that way or not.  ::)  I have some more ideas about what to do for Christmas and I will post when I have that finished.
Norma

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:35 PM »
norma, a friend who owned a pizzeria , made salads in his bowls . he used to sell 30,000.00 worth a year. he said it was a big lunch item ,far bigger than his 7 inch mini pizza. that might be a selling opportunity.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
norma, a friend who owned a pizzeria , made salads in his bowls . he used to sell 30,000.00 worth a year. he said it was a big lunch item ,far bigger than his 7 inch mini pizza. that might be a selling opportunity.

thezaman,
Wow that is a lot for someone making their own salad bowls.  :o 
Thanks for sharing the idea with me.  :)
Norma

I wonder if some one can help me with highlighting text, then push Ctrl-C key then putting where I wanted to quote and then hit Ctrl-V key.  It never works for me.  I would appreciate if someone would explain what I am doing wrong.  It is starting to bother me I can't quote what someone has said to me.

Thanks, Norma

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:37:09 PM by norma427 »

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »
Norma, just hit the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to quote.

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
Norma, just hit the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner of the post you want to quote.

ThunderStik,
Thank you so much.  :)  So easy and I was making it sooooo difficult. 
Finally I am able to quote!   :)
Thanks,
Norma

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:43:49 PM by norma427 »

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
Yep, thats it. ;D

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:07:45 PM »
ThunderStik,
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.  ~Anne Frank
Thanks again,  :D
Norma
If anyone is interested in trying the bowls this is where I bought the bowl molds.  They were the small ones that were $11.95
http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/39cc26772.html

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »
Yep, thats it. ;D
I needed that quote tip too thanks!!  ;D
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »
Norma's post inspired me to play around with some 3 oz. dough balls today.  I used a small stainless steel weighing/mixing bowl as a mold, rubbing it with some cold butter before laying down the stretched dough balls and cooking it in the pizza oven.

I'll still try to perfect it, but it looks like it could work for pasta, soup, and salad.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »
RoadPizza,
Your bowls look amazing! ;D  Your idea of using small stainless steel mixing bowls are good.
Your idea of putting pasta in the bowls sound interesting, too.  Pasta with the bread already made.  Your pictures really show how well your creations look.  Keep on experimenting and post pictures.   :)
Maybe someone will try a small deep dish pizza bowl and see how that turns out.  I have never tried a deep dish, but sometime will.  Could have nice crunchy sizes or maybe even a cracker crust.  Just always have to find some kind of equipment to use to try new things.
Thanks for sharing,
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »
Norma,

Earlier this year, Domino's launched some new pasta bowls (Breadbowl Pastas), as you can see under their Menu tab at http://www.dominos.com/home/index.jsp. Domino's entry into this space engendered some comments at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=48189#48189. If Domino's is using a standard dough ball to make their pasta bowls, as one PMQTT member indicated in the abovereferenced thread was the case, then I would guess that the dough ball weight used to make the bread bowls is 15 ounces (Medium). In case I am wrong, you can see all of the Domino's dough ball weights at Reply 26 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9212.msg79804.html#msg79804. Of course, since we can easily calculate the Domino's thickness factor, we can make the bowls any desired size.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:43:59 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »
Peter,
Thank you for the reference to PMQ Think Tank about the bowls.  There are some really good ideas there.  I think RoadPizzas idea of using the stainless steel bowl is great.  I might try nesting my two tortilla tins one on top of the other to see how that turns out.  There are others on the Think Tank that said to use stainless steel bowls, too.  Tom Lehmann also shares some good ideas. 
I donít see how Dominoís can use their standard dough weigh to make these bowls, since I only use 4 oz. to make mine.
Will keep on experimenting and see what I want to use these bowls for.
Thanks for the links.
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »
I donít see how Dominoís can use their standard dough weigh to make these bowls, since I only use 4 oz. to make mine.

Norma,

You are correct. I clearly didn't stop to think through the weight aspects. However, if you look at the Domino's ingredients list for their pasta bowls, at http://www.dominos.com/home/menu/ingredients.jsp (use the pull-down menu), it appears that they are using the same dough for their pasta bowls. So, Domino's must deliver dough balls to their stores that are specifically sized for their pasta bowls. Although I haven't yet tried to reverse engineer or clone Domino's doughs, their ingredients list for their basic dough bears similarities to the Papa John's dough. So, that should give you an idea as to the general nature of the baked dough for their pasta bowls.

Peter

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »
Norma, Pete, actually you can do it out of a standard dough. As this was the way I did mine. I dont have any pics but it was the Alton Brown dough that gave me the idea.

You simply dont stretch the dough out far at all. From a ball form stretch the dough just a bit then push the center down down and bake. Have a look at the pic in the link from an earlier post of mine and you can see where I got the idea.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8516.msg73653.html#msg73653

(in my house)

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »
roadpizza-

looking good! I want some salad in one of those. Maybe some gazpacho.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
I had read about Domino's "Pasta Bowls" earlier this year.  I really liked the idea.  I just wasn't crazy about how it looked.  It just seemed (looking from the pictures) that it was just too much bread.

Norma's idea of using a mold to make the bowl gave me the impetus to actually try it yesterday.  I used 3 oz. because I happen to have 3 oz. dough balls around which we use for chocolate calzones.  I had thought about using a larger dough ball (6 oz. or 14 oz.) in the past to mimic Domino's bread bowl, but didn't like the idea of hollowing it out to make a bowl - I didn't like the "waste" aspect of it.