Author Topic: Pizza bowls or Baskets  (Read 4865 times)

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
Re: Pizza bowls or Baskets
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
I had read about Domino's "Pasta Bowls" earlier this year.  I really liked the idea.  I just wasn't crazy about how it looked.  It just seemed (looking from the pictures) that it was just too much bread.

Norma's idea of using a mold to make the bowl gave me the impetus to actually try it yesterday.  I used 3 oz. because I happen to have 3 oz. dough balls around which we use for chocolate calzones.  I had thought about using a larger dough ball (6 oz. or 14 oz.) in the past to mimic Domino's bread bowl, but didn't like the idea of hollowing it out to make a bowl - I didn't like the "waste" aspect of it. 

yeah good call.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Peter,
Thanks for the information.  I agree they must be using their same dough, but a different ball size for the pasta bowls.

ThunderStik,
I stretched my dough to the same thickness as my NY Style pizzas. 
Your idea sounds really great, too.  Did you get something more in the line of what Domino’s pasta bowls look like?  When I have time I will look for that episode on the internet.  All these ideas are something to experiment with.  That pizza you made sure looks delicious.  :)

Hank Trefethen,
Thanks, your idea sounds great, too.  I think I would like bruchetta with fresh mozzarella  in mine.

RoadPizza,
How thin did you stretch your dough?  You are all making me hungry and I won’t be eating for awhile.  ::)
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
RoadPizza,
How thin did you stretch your dough?  You are all making me hungry and I won’t be eating for awhile.  ::)

Pretty thin, though not as thin as I would stretch a pizza.  I used a rolling pin since the dough ball was very small.  Halfway through baking, I pressed down the air bubbles further with a fork - you can actually see a mark left by the fork in one of the pictures.

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
Peter,
Thanks for the information.  I agree they must be using their same dough, but a different ball size for the pasta bowls.

ThunderStik,
I stretched my dough to the same thickness as my NY Style pizzas. 
Your idea sounds really great, too.  Did you get something more in the line of what Domino’s pasta bowls look like?  When I have time I will look for that episode on the internet.  All these ideas are something to experiment with.  That pizza you made sure looks delicious.  :)

Norma, yes I got something that looked very much like what Domino's makes. When the wife saw the commercial she looked at me and said "well you can do that". To which I replied "damn right I can, now who's your daddy?".  :-D

Not really, but she did say that. I think the latter part is just what I was thinking. ;D
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
RoadPizza,
Thanks for letting me know how you made your bread bowl.  They are great looking!  :D

ThunderStik,
Thanks for telling me what your finished bread bowl looked like.  You had me almost falling on the floor laughing.   :-D  Yea, wishful thinking. lol
Norma

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 07:56:12 PM »
When the wife saw the commercial she looked at me and said "well you can do that". To which I replied "damn right I can, now who's your daddy?".  :-D

:-D That was funny... especially from someone with a name like ThunderStik!...  :o
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »
Norma,

You are in luck. Here are the ingredients used in the Domino's pasta bowls. Don't they sound yummy?

THREE CHEESE MAC-N-CHEESE

Contains
Pasta penne: Water, Enriched Semolina (Durum Wheat Semolina, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid.)

Cheddar Cheese Sauce: Water, Pasteurized Processed Cheese Spread (American Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes], Water, Whey Sodium Phosphate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Skim Milk, Salt, Milk Fat, Artificial Color), Pasteurized Processed Cheese (Cheddar Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Water, Sodium Phosphate, Milk Fat, Salt, Apocarotenal [Color]), Seasoning (Whey Protein Concentrate, Modified Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt, Sodium Caseinate, Guar Gum, Mono And Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Annatto Extract [Color]), Cream (Cream, Milk), Butter (Butter, Salt), Cheese Concentrate (Cheddar, Granular, Semisoft and Blue Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Water, Sodium Phosphate, Vinegar, Salt), Wheat Flour.

Cheese, Cheddar - Shredded: Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto (Vegetable Color), Powdered Cellulose Added To Prevent Caking, Natamycin (A Natural Mold Inhibitor)

Cheese, Pizza: Mozzarella Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Food Starch, Cellulose (Added to Prevent Caking), Non-Fat Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Sodium Citrate, Flavors, Sodium Propionate (Added as a Preservative)

SAUSAGE MARINARA

Contains
Pasta penne: Water, Enriched Semolina (Durum Wheat Semolina, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid.)

Cheese, Provolone Shredded: Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes and Powdered Cellulose

Hearty Marinara Sauce: Tomatoes, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Carrot Puree, Onions, Celery Puree, Romano and Parmesan Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Butter, Spices, Chicken Base (Chicken including Natural Chicken Juices, Salt, Chicken Fat, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Dried Whey, Natural Flavoring, Yeast Extract, Turmeric for Color), Olive Oil, Citric Acid, and Xanthan Gum

Sausage: Pork, Seasoning (Spices, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Chili Pepper, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, BHA, BHT, and Citric Acid), Water, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate

CHICKEN ALFREDO

Contains

Alfredo Sauce: Water, Cream (Cream, Milk), Parmesan Cheese (Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Asiago Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Salt, Vegetable Monoglycerides, Whey Solids, Sodium Benzoate [Preservative], Natural And Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Beta Carotene [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate Added), Seasoning (Maltodextrin, Nonfat Milk, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Xanthan Gum, Spices, Mono And Diglycerides), Butter (Butter, Salt), Parmesan Cheese Concentrate (Parmesan Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Water, Salt, Natural Flavors, Yeast Extract, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Citrate), Modified Corn Starch, Garlic (Garlic, Water), Chicken Base (Chicken Meat, Chicken Juices, Salt, Potato Flour, Flavorings, Sugar, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Parsley, Salt

Chicken: Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning [Maltodextrin, Flavor, Salt, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Buttermilk Powder, Whey Powder, Contains Less Than 2% (Chicken Broth, Chicken Fat, Chicken Skin, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Enzyme Modified Butterfat, Lactic Acid, Modified Cornstarch, Soy Lecithin, Thiamine Hydrochloride)], Modified Food Starch, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphates, Salt

CARBONARA

Contains

Alfredo Sauce: Water, Cream (Cream, Milk), Parmesan Cheese (Part-Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Asiago Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Salt, Vegetable Monoglycerides, Whey Solids, Sodium Benzoate [Preservative], Natural And Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Beta Carotene [Color], Vitamin A Palmitate Added), Seasoning (Maltodextrin, Nonfat Milk, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Xanthan Gum, Spices, Mono And Diglycerides), Butter (Butter, Salt), Parmesan Cheese Concentrate (Parmesan Cheese [Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes], Water, Salt, Natural Flavors, Yeast Extract, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Citrate), Modified Corn Starch, Garlic (Garlic, Water), Chicken Base (Chicken Meat, Chicken Juices, Salt, Potato Flour, Flavorings, Sugar, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Parsley, Salt

Chicken: Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning [Maltodextrin, Flavor, Salt, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Buttermilk Powder, Whey Powder, Contains Less Than 2% (Chicken Broth, Chicken Fat, Chicken Skin, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Enzyme Modified Butterfat, Lactic Acid, Modified Cornstarch, Soy Lecithin, Thiamine Hydrochloride)], Modified Food Starch, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphates, Salt

Bacon: Bacon (Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Nitrite). May contain Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Ascorbate, Smoke Flavor, Dextrose

Mushrooms: Fresh Sliced Mushrooms

Onions: Yellow Onions

PRIMAVERA

Contains

Spinach: Baby Spinach

Diced Tomatoes: Tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Calcium Chloride, and Citric Acid

Mushrooms: Fresh Sliced Mushrooms

Onions: Yellow Onions

Peter

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
:-D That was funny... especially from someone with a name like ThunderStik!...  :o

Jeff V,
          my screen name is the same one i have had for years.I use the name or variations of it on many forums. I have played bass guitar for over 25 years. My basses are made of wood or "sticks", and bass frequencies "rumble" or "thunder" if you will.
Thus the name ThunderStik.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Jeff V,
          my screen name is the same one i have had for years.I use the name or variations of it on many forums. I have played bass guitar for over 25 years. My basses are made of wood or "sticks", and bass frequencies "rumble" or "thunder" if you will.
Thus the name ThunderStik.

Ahhh...that explains it-still funny.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
jeff v,
Yes, I thought that was really funny.  I am still laughing about it.  With a name like ThunderStik and saying what he said it made it funnier!  :-D

Peter,
What do you mean I am in luck?  Do you want to give me more work?  Seriously, I am happy to see what is in Domino’s toppings for bread bowls. But yuck, tooooo many additives for me.  Lol   Thanks for posting what they use in their bowls.  I think this is all getting too funny.  You too, Peter.  :-D

ThunderStik,
That is really interesting how you decided on your name.  You still have me laughing.   :-D
Thanks,
Norma
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:15:22 PM by norma427 »

pizzapan