Author Topic: MARBLE DOUGH "WORKING" SURFACE  (Read 1349 times)

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
MARBLE DOUGH "WORKING" SURFACE
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
I am contemplating buying a slab of marble to use as a work surface for stretching my dough balls etc. Can anyone tell me if thickness matters?
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: MARBLE DOUGH "WORKING" SURFACE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
Fred,
I am not an expert on this, but I have a marble slab that I used that isn't that thick. I am guessing about 3/4" thick.  I can measure it for you if you want me to.  It works really great in putting your dough on to cut it and also to open your dough balls.  The dough slides around well when opening your dough.
See what answers you get from other members.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:48:55 AM »
Hey Norma, thanks for the info ... do you use it to actually cut the finished pies ..into slices?  with a cutting wheel tool thing?
FB
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:16:48 AM »
Fred,
No, I don't cut the pizza into slices on the marbles slab.  I cut them on these. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/16-aluminum-pizza-tray-with-rim/124TP16.html
If you get time sometime stop by at my stand and you can see what I do and the marble slab I use.
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
Fred,
I really don't think it matters that much on how thick the marble is.  See how other members answer your question.  I am a very frugal person when it comes to finding things or trying new things out.  I am that way in anything I do.  I just used a marble slab I had stored.  When I was making brittles, fudge, and clear toy candy we used different sizes of marble slabs that we found used.  The one we used most was 500 lbs. which we found at an auction and got it for only 50.00.  It even had a stand with it.  The marble really takes away the heat from whatever item you are making. When we made clear toy candy and put the metal molds on the marble slab, by the time I was finished pouring the molds, I could open them up and take them out right away, because the marble had taken that much heat from the molds. The temperature when the liquid was poured in was 300 degrees F, so the marble really took the heat out of the molds fast.
BTW, did you see the pictures I posted under http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9727.msg84410.html#new from Saturday?
Norma

pizzapan