Author Topic: Perfect pizza sauce  (Read 10254 times)

Offline Steve973

• I love brewing beer and making pizza!
Perfect pizza sauce
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »
Hey all,

I have tried lots and lots of different recipes; some required cooking, and others didn't.  By far, the best one I've tried doesn't require cooking, and it really couldn't be simpler.  I know that people look for so many different things in pizza sauce, but if you try this one, I think you will be very pleased.  It goes like this:

28 oz can of sauce.  Hunts/Contadina/Giant supermarket brand are all fine, and probably other brands are, too.
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sugar

Mix everything together, and place in a sealed container in the refrigerator overnight.

If anybody tries this, please post some feedback.
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

Offline ThunderStik

Re: Perfect pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
I may try this, I have been looking for a good simple sauce that has good flavor. I usually stop by my local joint and just buy their sauce. Its cheap and its easy, its also good but I feel somehow im cheating.
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline BTB

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »
Steve, please don't take this wrong, but when one mentions "Hunts" and "Contadina" cans of sauce in a "perfect" pizza sauce recipe, to many it throws the credibility of what follows straight out the window and gives a strange meaning to the word "perfect."

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »
Steve973, ThunderStik and BTB,
If anyone is interested in trying a sauce I posted on before here is the link.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9617.msg84246.html#msg84246   
Happy sauce making to all of you.  :)
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:14:34 PM »
Norma,

Now that's a sauce!  The base tomato product is all important.  Stanislaus, Escalon, Pastenes, Glen Muir and many other quality tomato products (even Walmarts) are the key to the "perfect" sauce.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
BTB,
Thanks for saying now that's a sauce.
I use the Stanislaus at my stand and add these ingredients below, but have experimented with others at home.  I donít know how anyone really wants the sauce taste like or the consistency they really want, but depending on how much someone wants to make, these ingredients can make a tasty sauce.
Walmart great value tomatoes
fresh red onion and fresh garlic-salute
fresh herbs, parsley, oregano, and basil-microwaved or add after sauteing red onion and garlic and saute a little longer
add some red pepper flakes
Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese
Kosher Salt
A small amount of olive oil
A little ground pepper
A little granulated sugar
If you want a thicker sauce add tomato paste
maybe a little dried oregano
Let sit in refrigerator over night.
You just have to play around with these ingredients and you should come up with a good sauce.
Good luck,
Norma

Offline Steve973

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
BTB, you scoff, but if you haven't tried it, it seems like it would be hard for you to make an accurate assessment.  In my younger days, I have worked in Philadelphia pizzerias, and that is how the authentic sauce of that area is made.   I have tried making this type of sauce with a can of San Marzano tomatoes, and it doesn't come remotely close, even after adjusting for salt and spice differences.  It's really inexpensive to make a batch of the sauce I described, so try making a NY style pizza with my sauce and another with a tomato base that meets your standards.  Compare, and you will be surprised.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:49:01 PM by Steve973 »
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

Offline Aldo

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:29:49 AM »
Norma wrote:
fresh herbs

Norma, I have come full circle on herbs in sauces.  I used to use only dry, but now I use only fresh.  Oregano grows well just about anywhere, so I've got some in my yard, which makes it easier.  Basil, I'll often need to buy fresh.

I've found that pressing fresh garlic into a pan, then adding oil and heating it up slow, then adding chopped fresh herbs, sauteeing for ten minutes on medium heat, then adding to tomatoes is the flavor I've loved most.  I noticed you commented on the use of fresh herbs.  Have you also found fresh best?  Or have you found you can you achieve indiscernably good resuts with dry?

Anyone else, too, thoughts on fresh vs. dry?

And on garlic: I use dry garlic powder in some dishes -- but NEVER in pizza sauce.  S'gotta be fresh squeezed/pressed.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:51 AM »
Aldo,
Everyone is looking for a different flavor profile.  Some people only like fresh herbs and other people liked to add dry herbs.  Of all the pizza sauces I have tasted in my life, there are so many different flavor profiles.  If you look at all the kinds of pizzas made on this forum, each individual usually likes something different.  There are usually different pizza sauces that many people are loyal to.  It all depends on what kind of pizza you are making.     
I have found by experimenting that I only like fresh herbs added when I make the sauce. I usually use a food processor. I still have oregano and parsley growing outside.  My basil has died.  I am trying to grow basil inside, but not with much luck. I am also buying fresh basil, now.  At the farmerís market I shop, they sell fresh herbs in little containers for people to plant inside for 1.99. I do add a little dried oregano to my pizza sauce with the other ingredients I mentioned.  There are many posts on this forum how people buy different things so they can grow their own fresh herbs inside. 
When I have time, I am going to make another pizza sauce with the tomatoes from Wal Mart and compare that to what I am using now.  I did that before, but want to go back and try it, again.
A few years ago when I was trying different chili recipes, I found that I like the Wal Martís crushed  tomatoes, paste, and  sauces better than others.  Then I added different chili powders and other ingredients to get the flavor profile I wanted. I also added fresh spring onions, fresh garlic and fresh cilantro to that sauce.
It will be interesting to see what other people post as their favorite recipes and how they go about preparing them.
Norma

Offline Steve973

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:52 AM »
Even though this thread was hijacked, I think the simplicity of the recipe posted in the original post and the resulting flavor will stand for itself.  You can get as hung up on ingredients as you want, and you can pay extra for other products, but I believe that might be a waste of time, money, and effort.  BTB and Norma, I challenge you both to try your preferred sauces and put them against mine in a side-by-side comparison on two pizzas made the same way with the only exception being the sauce.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:39 AM »
Steve973;

I have tried many sauce recipes...many you cook, many you let sit forever to "meld" the flavors, etc, etc, etc.  Your sauce formula is very very good...I would even say excellent.  Is it for everone?  Probably not, nothing ever is.  But I like it very much and it is...to me...very reminiscent of the "old pizzeria" flavor profile.  Keep up the good work.
Buffalo :chef: :D

Offline BTB

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »
. . . this thread was hijacked . .
Hijacked? ? ?  I can usually appreciate the problem of having a thread hijacked - - I've had many of mine go that way.  But for you, define hijacked?  You put something out here and claimed it was "perfect pizza sauce."  Cannot one say something different or add their thoughts to it, esp. when they may think its far from "perfect"?  I didn't see any disrespect.  I saw other opinions.  I would normally think the best definition of hijacked is going way off the subject and I didn't see that here. What's your definition?

Boy, for my part, you did "take it wrong."  I never commented on the spices you suggested, which are good.  I was talking about a "perfect pizza sauce" in terms the tomato brand that you "suggested" would be the perfect tomato base to constitute a "perfect" sauce.  And I think that it is perfectly proper for one to express a personal contrary opinion on such as long as it's properly done. 

If you could peek into, as many have, the kitchen shelves of most of the pizzerias across the country, you would probably almost never see "Hunts," "Contadina", or the likes of even a Del Monte on their shelves.  What would you see and why?  You would see many of the styles of Stanislaus, Escalon, Pastenes, Full Red, San Marzano and others.  Rich, flavorful, and tasty tomato products.  Maybe your taste buds relative to tomatoes differs from many of those pizzerias.  It's my experience that utilizing the Hunt's type of tomato products would be an extreme rarity at the great pizza places across America. 

Try to tell the Pizzaiolo's at the new style Neapolitanish pizza places that they could substitute Hunts or Contadina and see their response.  While they may prefer their specially sourced San Marzano's, they would still have great respect for the products from Stanislaus, Escalon and the others mentioned.  Would they have such for the Hunts and like products?  You know the answer.

If anyone should visit a pizzeria (in Philadelphia or elsewhere) and see Hunt's or Contadina sauce on their kitchen shelves, it would be my personal suggestion (just a suggestion) that you run fast away as you might get a better meal elsewhere.  IMO.  But different strokes for different folks.

Now regarding Norma's sauce approach, what I absolutely loved about her style was her realistic cooking approach in adding "a couple of cloves" of this, "part of" that, put in "some of" this and "some of" that, along with "you want to add a little" of this or "about 1 tsp for your taste,"  etc.  I'm sorry for any who don't like it, but that is a professional cook in my book.  I know, I know, people want the exact dimensions of the rooms and need exact measurements.  And I and Norma have to do that at alot of times.  But nothing replaces the finger in the sauce to see if . . . . "ummmm, that tastes good."

Steve, I had -- in many threads on this site -- put my various recipes (of sorts) for sauces that I've used (detailing all the ingredients).  In none have I claimed to be perfect, but I thought pretty good and many thought so, too.  But I'm not thin skinned.  Do the search, check them out and take pot shots at them if you'd like.  As I prefer, I generally don't say a quarter tsp of this and 2 Tbls of that, as I'm rarely inclined to do so.  Some of this and some of that and tasting with your finger is -- like Frank Sinatra -- "my way."

But in the end, if the Hunt's or Contadina product is the "perfect" tomato base for your perfect pizza sauce and is what you and your family like, that's what's all important.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:19:22 AM by BTB »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »
i tried your recipe using 28 oz by weight of full red tomato sauce. the flavor was good nice balance of herbs. the only ingredient that was heavy was the salt. tomato sauces as bases are usually salted. next time i will leave that out. a pinch of fennel and i think you have a winner!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
Steve973,
All I was trying to say was different strokes for different folks..and everyone likes something different.  What you might like and what I might like on different pizzas could be very different.
If you look at this months Monthly Challenge you will see the topic is ďMy Favorite Red Pizza Sauce.Ē   My submission was a comparison with the Stanislaus products I use at my pizza stand to using Great Value tomato products from Walmart.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9744.0.html Reply #2
I was just giving suggestions..sorry if you think I high-jacked your thread.
Norma

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
I am going to have to side with BTB here. I wouldn't have even mentioned anything to begin with, but since you are so bent on defending this, I decided to speak up. When I first saw you start this thread, I read up until "28 oz can of sauce  Hunts/Contadina/Giant supermarket brand are all fine", had a quick chuckle and hit the back button.

Your pontification on how you have single handedly bested not only everyone on this forum, but the likes of the best pizzerias on earth could be taken by some as either arrogant or naive, but will not likely be taken seriously. If you would have acted less authoritatively and more accurately titled the post "My Favorite Sauce", I suspect this thread would have gone in a different direction. When you identify something as "my favorite", no contest of that fact is possible since it's totally in your control. When you label something to be "perfect" or "the best", that excludes out everything else and is contestable. You would do well to not get your skibbies in a bunch when you make such a bold, authoritative statement and receive a speedy rebuttal.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline BTB

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 03:14:48 PM »
Another thought I had afterwards . . . these threads -- as many know -- have a tendency to live on for many, many years.  And if you use various internet search engines you might come across one for a "perfect pizza sauce" that you wrote here on this well respected website.  I want others to know that there are many out here that don't think any pizza sauce utilizing the brands of tomato products you suggested in any way constitute the "perfect pizza sauce,"  .  .  .  which was my original point!

Offline Enrique

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
It's so funny to find people getting testy about pizza sauce.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Guys,

Here's a little anecdote from my teenage years when me and a friend were arguing about music.

He liked the band Queen and I was into AC/DC. Of course, we both thought our respective bands were the ultimate in Rock. We occasionally used to get into heated discussions about it but after stopping short of getting into a fist fight, we decided that you cannot really argue about taste.

To this day, I still remember it whenever it comes to discussion where taste is involved.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »
Nicely stated by BTB in reply 11.  Also, I'm with Trogdor on seeing the suggestion of tomato product causing me to hit the back button.  Steve, thicker skin, buddy.  There's plenty to learn here and by using some of the suggested tomato product with your spice pack, maybe your "perfect sauce" will become more perfect-er-er.   ;)

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Steve973

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
The replies here have been interesting, and I have some replies of my own.  I perceived a note of condescension about my choice of tomato base, BTB.  You may or may not have intended it, but that's basically irrelevant.  I thought it was funny, since it was obvious that you didn't try the sauce that I mentioned, but since it didn't have ingredients that you preferred, it seemed like you thought it could never measure up.  Instead if you tried it, and then you suggested some alterations after you evaluated it with more than your eyes, I could have respected your opinion much more.

I entitled the thread "perfect pizza sauce" to get people to view it.  Perfection simply doesn't exist.  It is quite funny when people turn their nose up at supermarket pizza sauce.  It is obviously not the same product as a canned Italian tomato, but no one will say how or why it is inferior.  And as I have stated, I have used some of the so-called better tomato products, and the result is not nearly as good as it is with nearly any canned sauce.

The other thing that is interesting is that people can question someone's taste, but if that person responds in defense, they must be "thin skinned".  If I use a product that is looked down upon, I should just try to "learn form the experts", since surely no one can learn from something they might have possibly overlooked due to prejudice. 

The other thing is that sauce flavor seems to develop over a day or two, and merely dipping your finger in and tasting as you are making the sauce might not be quite indicative of the result when the flavors blend and become more prominent.  Measurements provide accuracy and consistency.

Am I that far off base here?  I have been asking questions and learning from the experts since I joined this forum.  It is a wealth of impressive information, but if somebody is going to deliver haughty criticism, I'm definitely going to call them on it.  But I apologize if I offended either BTB or Nora.  If you like your sauces, then go with what you prefer.  Thanks to those people who tried my sauce and provided feedback.

pizzapan