Author Topic: VPN Brazil  (Read 7232 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: VPN Brazil
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »
Thanks PETER and VINICIUS !!!

Well, for a while now i have been researching of opening a Neapolitan pizzeria here in Sao Paulo, this is a big city and the restaurant scene here is huge... Giulio (the pizzaiolo) said that all the VPN certified pizzerias out of Italy are doing quite well... the pizzeria scene here is big too, but none are Neapolitan, more like gourmet style mixed whit a twist of Neo Neapolitan... maybe something totally different will have a good chance of a hit... who knows ??
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
Found the fleischmann flour.   Last night I did my best pizza ever.. but still very far from what I want to achieve, the flavor is delicious, but the looks, not so good.  Lets see if Fleishchamm flour will give me the results im looking for.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
what flour did you use ? can you post photos ?

what are you looking for in your pizza ?

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 09:20:53 AM »
ok so yesterday i did a batch with only Fleischmann flour.

I did a 60.00% hydration   0.15% IDY     2.50% salt

that comes out like this

Flour    395.94
Water 237.57
IDY    0.59
Salt    9.90

Kneaded  for around 15 min, autolyse for 20 min , then hand kneaded for 3 more min. 

Placed  in a sealed container with a wet towel on top of the dough.  Proof for 12 hours , room temp  25C . Then, made them into balls, rested for another 3h.

placed into the fridge for 3 more hours because wasnt going to use them imediately.   Off the fridge 1h30m  before actually baking.

The dough was over elastic. Opening the dough was a tough job. I would stretch  and stretch, and the dough was going to find his way back into a very tiny round disc. 

tearing wasn't really a problem, but i feel it could be better.

any tips ?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:28:33 AM by vrumvrum »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »
try , proofing bulk at room temperature,then cut into balls round and refrigerate the balls. when you are rising bulk dough in the cooler you have to really underdeveloped it, or the elasticity is to strong.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
try , proofing bulk at room temperature,then cut into balls round and refrigerate the balls. when you are rising bulk dough in the cooler you have to really underdeveloped it, or the elasticity is to strong.

Not sure i quite understood.  after 12h of proofing (room temp) , i cut into balls and put into the fridge right away? 
I didnt rise bulk dough in the fridge in my last attempt.  Yet elasticity was a problem.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 11:40:41 AM »
sorry, read post wrong. how warm were the balls when you stretched them? i let them come to 62 degrees . some times that takes three hours depending on my holding temp.

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 12:39:12 PM »
sorry, read post wrong. how warm were the balls when you stretched them? i let them come to 62 degrees . some times that takes three hours depending on my holding temp.

Dont know... ill take that into consideration on my next attempt. 

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
Vinicius, you should mix for 5 minutes then autolyse then knead for 10 minutes... the gluten will be more relaxed... your dough will not fight that much..

Offline vrumvrum

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 02:43:47 PM »
Vinicius, you should mix for 5 minutes then autolyse then knead for 10 minutes... the gluten will be more relaxed... your dough will not fight that much..

Ok, here is what i do..

I add water + salt, let it dissolve entirely.   Put in 75% of the flour ( in this case Fleishchmann)  mix it all together ( not even 30 seconds, done by hand), add IDY, and let it rest for 5 min.
Add the remaining 25% of the flour , then i knead for about 15 min. 
Autolyse ( 20min ) 
Hand knead , for 3 or 4 more minutes.

form a ball in bulk , let it proof for 12 hours.

Andre, what flour are you using right now ?

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
Hi Vinicius,

Well, i am using granarolo Italian flour (66%) + Organic whit flour (33%)...

i am waiting, cause in January there will be Italian pizza flour in Brazil... 5 stagioni

you should mix (all or 75% - i don't feel any difference) flour whit water and salt until the flour is wet, then autolyse for 15 to 20 minutes then Knead.... your doing the opposite... your autolysing after kneading... a think your gluten development is going a little over board...

at least your dough is not tearing any more... thats something to celebrate !!!

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
It's great to see a thread on pizza in Brazil.  I lived in Belo Horizonte from 04-07 and started making pizza as a result of my extreme dissatisfaction with the local pizzerias.  My biggest problem was finding good ingredients, especially flour.  That problem was solved when I discovered that my local padaria would sell their bread flour to me on request.  I never got good results using packaged flour purchased in the supermercados.  Imported San Marzano tomatoes are easy to find, but good fresh mozz was pretty much impossible to find, at least in Minas, and I actually thought about making my own.  Using my brother-in-law's wood burning stove, I got really great results. 

pizzapan