Author Topic: Pizza Italiana vs New York Style Pizza  (Read 1321 times)

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Italiana vs New York Style Pizza
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:07:40 PM »
first of all does anyone know what a pizza italiana is?

if you dont then i can explain

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Re: Pizza Italiana vs New York Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 03:22:40 PM »
I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be). I right now am reading Pamela Sheldon Johns "Pizza Napoletana" and I don't remember reading that term.

My guess would be it's close to the Classic Pizza Napoletana Margherita with tomatoes, oil, mozzarella, and basil no bigger than about 12" in diameter. A ball weight of about 180 grams which is about a 1/4" thick in the center with a puffy rim.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Italiana vs New York Style Pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 04:35:47 PM »
I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be). I right now am reading Pamela Sheldon Johns "Pizza Napoletana" and I don't remember reading that term.

My guess would be it's close to the Classic Pizza Napoletana Margherita with tomatoes, oil, mozzarella, and basil no bigger than about 12" in diameter. A ball weight of about 180 grams which is about a 1/4" thick in the center with a puffy rim.

The Pizza Italiana

This is the most popular kind of pizza in Italy.  It is defined by low borders and a thin crust that is chewy and crispy.  The toppings are plentiful, but not overbearing and complement the thin crust.  This standard serving size for this pizza is approximately 12 inches in diameter

160 to 180 grams is the amount of weight of each pizza ball

these pizzas CANNOT be served by individual slices and are best eaten right out of the oven

they are not made with HI GLUTEN flour either

now what your are reading brother is a description of the pizza napoletana...its pizza ball weight is around 180 grams..thst probably correct..however im suprised that she lists the size as around 12 inches..cause they usually are 8 to 10 inches..dont know what this lady is talking about...anyhow the napoletana has high borders and its crust gets thinner as you eat your way towards the center of the pizza

pizzapan