Author Topic: Dive Arm mixer Crazy Expensive  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Mo

Dive Arm mixer Crazy Expensive
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
Just posting an observation. Priced the lbt-50 (I think that's the right model, 100# finished dough capacity) and was taken back by the cost, twice as much as a comparable spiral mixer. I understand that it's a different machine with different capabilities, but for a simple nea-style  operation I see little to be gained in cost-benefit ratio. I am leaning towards the American Eagle 3050 model. Any thoughts?

Offline Mo

Re: Dive Arm mixer Crazy Expensive
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »
Man, this is a slow room...

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
mo,  i notice you are doing a neo Neapolitan and your oven is a valorian which is a great oven, and vpn approved.  the Neapolitan faction that have the naples built ovens would challenge the quality of pizza coming out of your oven. the difference could possibly be noticed by a professional,but it would be to small for most to notice. i think the same goes for your mixer ,if there is a difference in dough quality it would be minor if at all. i use a verticle cutter mixer for my dough, a lot of pizzerias frown on them . i have been using it for 25 years and i made adjustments in mixing that make the v.c.m. work just fine for me. so be creative and keep your start up cost reasonable. 

Offline Mo

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
mo,  i notice you are doing a neo Neapolitan and your oven is a valorian which is a great oven, and vpn approved.  the Neapolitan faction that have the naples built ovens would challenge the quality of pizza coming out of your oven. the difference could possibly be noticed by a professional,but it would be to small for most to notice. i think the same goes for your mixer ,if there is a difference in dough quality it would be minor if at all. i use a verticle cutter mixer for my dough, a lot of pizzerias frown on them . i have been using it for 25 years and i made adjustments in mixing that make the v.c.m. work just fine for me. so be creative and keep your start up cost reasonable. 

Thanks zaman. I couldn't agree more with your view. As for our concept, we are not concerned about having any major Claims to Authenticity, rather a technique/method informed by tradition. And you are right, a variety of tools can be used to accomplish similar ends.

On that note, I just got my American Eagle-3050 spiral mixer today and it is lovely. Probably two weeks before I can start slinging some product.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:54:51 AM »
Thanks zaman. I couldn't agree more with your view. As for our concept, we are not concerned about having any major Claims to Authenticity, rather a technique/method informed by tradition. And you are right, a variety of tools can be used to accomplish similar ends.

On that note, I just got my American Eagle-3050 spiral mixer today and it is lovely. Probably two weeks before I can start slinging some product.

Mo,
If its of any consellation, I have a DVD by renowned pizzialo Antonino Esposito where he demonstartes step by step procedures on Neapolitan Pizza & in the demo which takes place in his pizzeria he is using a spiral mixer.  The clip below is similar to the demo on my dvd.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky192378BqY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky192378BqY</a>

Matt
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:05:35 AM by Matthew »

Offline Mo

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »
Mo,
If its of any consellation, I have a DVD by renowned pizzialo Antonino Esposito where he demonstartes step by step procedures on Neapolitan Pizza & in the demo which takes place in his pizzeria he is using a spiral mixer.  The clip below is similar to the demo on my dvd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky192378BqY

Matt

hey matt, thanks for posting that link. I'm happy with my decision and with the larger capacity of the 3050, I should be able to rock out a good amount of dough without having to do multiple mixes...

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
matt, thanks for that link !! lot of visual information there !! wish i spoke the language.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:23:28 AM »
matt, thanks for that link !! lot of visual information there !! wish i spoke the language.

Larry,
I have the complete DVD, it's really good & very informative.  I am fluent in Italian so if you have any questions on the video let me know.  As a side note, I just ordered some hickory wood chips to use in my WFO for that quick burst of heat when baking.  The moisture content is about 20% so I'm going to let them dry out this winter for use in the spring.

Matt

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
matt, thanks i am going to list questions after my next viewing .

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:08:32 AM »
matt, i tried to purchase a dvd off of antonino 's web site , it wouldn't take my request . can you tell me where you purchased yours?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »
matt, i tried to purchase a dvd off of antonino 's web site , it wouldn't take my request . can you tell me where you purchased yours?

I got it from the Caputo distributor for my area, he gave it to me for free.  I'm pretty sure the entire thing is available in segments on you tube.

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »
matt, is that fred you got it from??

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 12:55:03 PM »
matt, is that fred you got it from??

No.  My guy brings Caputo in along with other products directly from Italy.  To my knowledge, Fred does not distribute to Canada but I could be wrong. 

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »
sorry, i forgot that you had canadian references in your posts. the recipe on his web site has sugar and fat in it . is that a low temperature baking formula? it looks like the youtube is more traditional. can you tell me his preparation for his tomato sauce ?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »
sorry, i forgot that you had canadian references in your posts. the recipe on his web site has sugar and fat in it . is that a low temperature baking formula? it looks like the youtube is more traditional. can you tell me his preparation for his tomato sauce ?

Just San Marzano tomatoes with salt, olive oil & basil.

pizzapan