Author Topic: A must try  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Matthew

A must try
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
Hi All,

I just finished making some fantastic calzone (sorry no pics) with my best dough formula to date for my indoor oven.  The reason that it's in the NY section is that I feel that it can be used for some really terrific NY style pizza.  This dough will most definitely be my go to.  This is the first time that I used Ovaltine in my dough & it made a huge difference in colour, flavor & texture.  I will definitely continue using it from here on in for this style pizza.   The dough was made using a starter but can easily be reproduced using a commercial yeast.

The formula is as follows:

100% bread flour
60% water (including water in starter)
3% salt
3% oil
6% starter (dough weight)
2.5% Ovaltine Classic

24 hour bulk fermentation @ 70 degrees
5 hour individual @ room temperature

I'd be interested in hearing about the results from anyone who tries it out.

Matt
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:25:11 PM by Matthew »

Offline Trogdor33

Re: A must try
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Would you stick with 3% salt if you were switching to commerical yeast? I may give this a shot next time I make dough (tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how my drywalling goes).
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
Would you stick with 3% salt if you were switching to commerical yeast? I may give this a shot next time I make dough (tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how my drywalling goes).

I'm not sure so I don't want to mis guide you.   I've only used commercial yeast twice in the past year, once for a Neapolitan dough & another time for Peter's deep dish Neapolitan. I think you would be fine if you used the salt & yeast amounts that you currently use.   
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:22:15 PM by Matthew »

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:29:39 AM »
I'm actually glad you posted about this, I was getting ready to ask how people use ovaltine in their formulas since I had recently went out and picked up some for milkshakes.

Well, it's not exactly your formula... but here's what I am going to try:

KASL   100.00%
Water  60.00%
IDY   0.40%
Salt   2.00%
EVOO   3.00%
Lactic Acid   0.70%
Ovaltine Classic   2.50%

I have KASL on hand so I am going to use that. I also, as standard procedure, add lactic acid to get that sourdough flavor with none of the sourdough hassle. 8) I am making it tonight, but I'll let it retard until maybe Tuesday unless I have a chance to bake earlier. I'll report back.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »
I baked some pies at lunch today. All in all, they turned out well. I baked the first one at 450 after letting the dough sit out for 4 hours. I quickly learned (see first 3 pics) that I should have baked them all at 550 (as in the last 3). I figured that the addition of sugar would require a lower oven temp. My wife liked this recipe better than my normal one but I am still leaning toward my normal one by a hare. I did like how the bottom was a bit crispier and the rim was softer inside (although I suspect that it is more so because of the increased oil and decreased hydration than the addition of ovaltine). If I make this one again, I will decrease oil a bit and bake at 550 or 600. I can see how this would be a hands down winner for calzone though because of how it is tender on the inside and slightly crispy outside.

I baked on the screen for 5 mins and 3 min on the bare stone. The recipe I used was the one I posted above and I made 14" pies with 15.4oz dough balls.

-Joe

pizzapan