Author Topic: Excellent results!  (Read 1477 times)

Offline bigpix

Excellent results!
« on: February 27, 2005, 11:19:11 PM »
After taking last weekend off from pie making I was more than a little anxious to make some this weekend. I have been wrestling with KASL for weeks now dealing with skin forming and dry hard dough. Long story short, I used more water this week. I made two batches for a bigger dinner group. The second batch was even more hydrated. Oh yeah, this is the modified NY Style dough that I've been working off of. The dough actually spent 29 hours in the fridge. One ball in a tuppermaid type of container and the other as mentioned here, a flattened disc in an oiled freezer bag. The dough had a full two hours of warm up time before cooking. I had fresh mozz from a locall italian deli where they make it daily. I also bought a bucks worth of Locatelli Romano cheese after having it on the pies last week at Lombardi's.
My sauce was a made from a new direction from San Marz. and used a can of crushed tomatoes and only added almost a  tablespoon of basil and a touch of olive oil. I made the sauce yesterday on recommendation from a friend who's dad owned a pizza place in the Boston area.
The result of all this effort paid off bigtime with what I'd say were the best pies ever. Since I have a 14" peel and stones, I split each batch into two pies or various shapes. The dough this time was indeed silky and smooth. The wetter dough was even more pliable as expected and had all sorts of bubbles that I pressed back down. This second batch got cooked last too in the 550F oven. I have a split stone on the bottom rack and one on the top rack. I prefer to do the longer cooking on the top stone with more consistent results. Having the two stones makes for a better flow especially when making four pies. It was all about basics tonight so no other toppings. Each pie got a couple few dollops of sauce which had a bit of moisture in it, I opted to not skim off the water but rather mixed it in the sauce. Next a scattering of the fresh mozz. and sprinkling of the romano. Not knowing enough about that cheese, I used it sparingly but could have used quite a bit more. Next time.
A sprinkling of oregano because I can't help myself. Each pie was better than the rest. The last two with the wetter dough had a wide puffy golden brown and very tasty crust. The sauce was really good too which made me really happy since the sauce has always been a challenge. I kept muttering at the table about the pies being picture taking pies. My guests had no idea why I'd want to have pix of my pies.
Thanks to all for the help and inspiration lately!
The only thing I am sorry about is not making enough for leftovers.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Excellent results!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 11:48:30 PM »
Dan,

I'm glad you stuck with it and didn't retire your peel. A few more tries and you will be well on your way.

Peter

Offline bigpix

Re: Excellent results!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 12:33:44 AM »
<i>you will be well on your way.
</i>

I've been on this trip for a number of years now with a fair amount of success along the way. I started out making dough with AP and Cake flour as well as just AP dough. Then I took this detour named Lancelot. It took a bit more than a sack of Lance to get where I am and I'm happy with that. I'm considering the purchase of a decent scale but I'm not sure I would then commit to jotting down what I've just made. I know I should. But I don't.