Author Topic: How to make stromboli/calzone?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
How to make stromboli/calzone?
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »
I've attempted to make these before, but it was disaster.

Can someone give me instructions or make a step by step guide on how to make a grade A stromboli or calzone?

I've tried following fragments of what there is on this forum but it didn't help.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: How to make stromboli/calzone?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
There are two options.
1) Use your regular pizza dough, roll it out into a flat disk about 8" in diameter (adjust the diameter to give you the size calzone you want). Brush the edges lightly with water, add filling of ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese or your favorite cheese blend, add desired vegetable/fruit filling along with pre-cooked meat if desired. Fold in half taking care to line up the edges, tightly crimp the edges together, transfer to a baking sheet, using a sharp knife or scissors cut a few steam vents into the top, brush with egg wash or cream/whole milk/melted butter and sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, bake at 450F until golden brown, brush or spray with garlic butter to which you have added a small amount of dried basil/oregano, set aside to cool for a minute or so before serving. This is one of our all time favorites.
2) Make a "special" calzone dough. Starting with your regular pizza dough formula, add unsalted butter or Butter Flavored Crisco to bring the total fat content up to 5%, add 5% whole egg (be sure to reduce the water content by 75% of the weight of whole egg added). Prepare the dough by your normal manner and follow the steps above for forming, filling, sealing and baking the calzones. This second method makes a richer, more pastry like dough.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 04:54:29 PM »
People actually make calzone on purpose?  I thought "calzone" was Italian for "pizza fail."  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
People actually make calzone on purpose?  I thought "calzone" was Italian for "pizza fail."  :-D

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9050.msg78244#msg78244

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:33:28 AM »
There are two options.
1) Use your regular pizza dough, roll it out into a flat disk about 8" in diameter (adjust the diameter to give you the size calzone you want). Brush the edges lightly with water, add filling of ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese or your favorite cheese blend, add desired vegetable/fruit filling along with pre-cooked meat if desired. Fold in half taking care to line up the edges, tightly crimp the edges together, transfer to a baking sheet, using a sharp knife or scissors cut a few steam vents into the top, brush with egg wash or cream/whole milk/melted butter and sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, bake at 450F until golden brown, brush or spray with garlic butter to which you have added a small amount of dried basil/oregano, set aside to cool for a minute or so before serving. This is one of our all time favorites.
2) Make a "special" calzone dough. Starting with your regular pizza dough formula, add unsalted butter or Butter Flavored Crisco to bring the total fat content up to 5%, add 5% whole egg (be sure to reduce the water content by 75% of the weight of whole egg added). Prepare the dough by your normal manner and follow the steps above for forming, filling, sealing and baking the calzones. This second method makes a richer, more pastry like dough.
Wow, I HAVE to try this, now my goal is to tackle the Calzone.

Thanks a lot.

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:09:39 AM »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »
Calzones are underrated in my opinion. I'm not sure why they aren't more popular.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
Calzones are underrated in my opinion. I'm not sure why they aren't more popular.
I had one at my local pizza shop, pepperoni, pineapple, anchivies, WAS TOO GOOD!

I'm not sure if I can match them.

Offline Calamari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »

I agree with that, love them!

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
I'm gonna do what Tom Lehmann sugests and add in 5% butter and 5% whole egg.

However, since i'm doing room temperature ferment i'll change a few things.
I barely kneaded the dough, only enough so everything was mixed.

I did this so I can add the ingreints in easier

After 48 hours, the dough should be fully fermented I'll add in the egg and butter to the bulk dough.
I'll then fully knead the bulk dough.
Then i'll split into three balls and store in the fridge for the next 24 hour to allow the dough balls to relax, finally I'll bake them at the end of the 24 hour rest.

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:22:06 AM »
Is it safe to use butter and whole eggs with a RT dough?

Never mind I just re-read your post - sorry about that....
Norm

Online the1mu

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:46:01 AM »
Is it safe to use butter and whole eggs with a RT dough?

Never mind I just re-read your post - sorry about that....

Yes. It is. The yeast is the prominent bacteria that prevents anything else from growing. Most enriched breads include eggs and are RT.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:06:01 PM »
Yes. It is. The yeast is the prominent bacteria that prevents anything else from growing. Most enriched breads include eggs and are RT.
Two days too many  at 65*F with eggs?

Online the1mu

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 12:08:17 PM »

Two days too many  at 65*F with eggs?

I don't have a perfect answer for this, as the longer it goes, yes the more risk I could see there being. However, as I understand it, the yeast prevents ANY other stuff from growing while it is dominant. So, I imagine, 48 hours would be doable. I mean, it is also not like it is sitting exposed on the counter. It's covered well, I'd hope!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:08:25 PM »
While I wouldn't recommend eating the raw dough, just in case. Keep in mind that you will need to reach an internal dough temperature of at least 160F to kill any potentially harmful bacteria BUT since the dough will not set until an internal temperature of at least 180F is reached, and a finished dough temperature close to 200F will be achieved in the normal baking of the pizza, the 160F minimum internal dough temperature will be easily reached and exceeded, rendering the finished pizza close to sterile for all practical purposes as it comes out of the oven. Be sure to wash your hands well after breaking the eggs to prevent the possibility of cross contamination. By the way, Danish pastry and sweet dough will typically contain 15 to 24% whole eggs when made the way they should be made. New formulas for these products are lucky to contain 10% due to the cost issue.