Author Topic: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Ogwoodfire

Re: Re-Engineering Buffalo, NY style
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure people are going for Neapolitan pizza here in Buffalo because it's pretty much all I sell and have been widely recognized as having e best pizza in Buffalo (Buffalo news and bloggers). I know Giuseppe the guy who was making pizza at the show he is an excellent pizzaiolo and his restaurant in Rochester is great. I usually have friends in Rochester order t for me to their restaurants but Iam sure there is a cash and carry that you could pick it up at, I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:07:53 PM by Ogwoodfire »

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
I'm in Niagara county. Haven't seen anything like it around here. Back to Buffalo style pizza, I'm going to prepare the dough pretty similar to the place i work at now. I will say that we do not use sugar in the dough. Only difference is for the past 45 years or so they made the dough in the morning and used it in the afternoon, but I'm going to make the dough the day before. I plan on bulk rising it for a little bit, balling it, and placing on the pans. Can't wait to try lard on the pans. I've thought about putting it in the actual dough a while back but never got around to doing it. It'll probably be way better than the soy & olive oil blend we coat the pans with now. I will proof the dough after the final stretch, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. For the sauce, I plan on using Alta Cucina's. I'm going to drain some of the liquid from the can and use it to dissolve a certain amount of sugar. I will reincorporate the simple syrup back into the tomatoes and emulsify. If it is too watery I will blend in some tomato paste to thicken it up but we'll see how it goes. Dressing the pizza i will remove the wrap, dock the skin, spread the sauce, grate some romano on top, spread Galbani mozzarella, then sprinkle Durkee oregano on top of that. Finally I will top the pie with a blend of Margherita preliced regular pepperoni and cup and char. In a perfect world I would slice myself but I have too much pepperoni to use up and I got 30# coming in next Monday of Ezzo cup and char to try so... we'll stick with what I got. I'll bake in my home oven on an old Blodgett stone at 550 degrees hoping it won't make a huge mess when I deck.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 07:56:49 AM »
That process sounds good. The only issue I see is bulking with HG flour, if that is what you are using. I would just go directly into balls for since that really isn't a long time for them to rest. Bulking with HG can build too much gluten, probably not something you want.

Jay

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
That's how we do it at our pizza joint, and apparently we sell a watered down Buffalo pizza. Our dough is the only thing that has not changed over the years. We have the same dough guy since the early 80's. I'll be honest I always considered Buffalo pizza to be like the La Nova's style, but after finding this forum I found out I was wrong. I couldn't wait so I actually did it last night with so/so results. Number 1 the sauce was too sweet, and I'm not going to use (waste) Alta Cucina's again. Some parts of the skin was more thick than other parts so I got to pay attention to that a little better. However the thinner slices were amazing. The lard was tasteless but it did make the bottom nice and crispy so I'm definitely going to stick with that. When the pie was half baked I was easily able to deck it onto the stone. I'll post pics in a little while and try again tonight.

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
Also... Chose not to dock the dough. I was hoping to trap some air to create some small bubbles with some success. I used that Battistoni cup and char and it is really good.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
I would say that's a very nice interpretation! La nova used to be a much better version but over the years it's became very watered down IMO, they cut a lot of corners. You could go with red pack to get the modern buffalo style taste of the sauce. I found when I cooked down the tomatoes I hardly needed any sugar to get the desired sweetness. Something else I have found nice when doing this style was doing a lard and olive oil combination for the pan. Keep an eye out in the Buffalo News for the dining out section they interviewed me for a break down of different pizza style available locally, if I see it I'll post a link but there's much more info available on his thread than will be in the news.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
Also those Battistoni pepperoni are great plus they are produced locally which is always nice.

Take Care,
Jay

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »
Round 2 tonight... I'm proofing the dough now, it has a greater hydration and so far it's looking very good. I don't feel like wasting the sauce i made yesterday so i added some super heavy puree to it and it does taste a bit better. Sauce isn't really my concern now though, I'm headed on a trip tomorrow so I have other things going on. When I get back I'll head up to the depot and get some of the RedPack you speak of. I'm used to using Stanislaus products but I'll give it a shot. Maybe even try out Buffalo's favorite wood fired pizza while I'm in the neighborhood. What I'm trying to recreate from my memory is a Buffalo style pie that had bubbles on the underside that you can literally fit your thumb into when your eating it. It would give me great joy. It's sad La Nova's is losing their quality too. Especially since the last time I was there I dropped almost 40 bucks on a large and 20 wings.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
Yes La Nova is very expensive and not so good IMO. I Also like Stanislas products and prefer them to red pack, it's just 90% of the pizzerias in Buffalo use red pack. You may want to try the Saporito Stanislas or Super Dolce stanislaus if you like a sweeter sauce but you will need to add water super dolce is the sweeter of the 2. Good look and post some pics of round 2 if you get a chance.

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 12:12:02 AM »
Hey it's been awhile but I'm back. Round 2 went ok... although the dough retracted while baking which resulted in a thicker middle so I'm going to try a different technique with the dough. OG, I bought Red Pack heavy pizza sauce at the depot. Is that the one to look for? I'm going to start the dough and sauce tomorrow and have another go at it on Thursday. I actually stopped at Bocce's on Hopkins cause I was in the neighborhood. Not too impressed, they actually tasted like my least favorite joint in my city lol. I mean it's ok, but, I dunno maybe I went to the wrong location. Or maybe I was hoping it to be something other than what it really is. Anyways, I wasn't able to see much of the operation from the place where you order, but I did notice that they held the dough in a cloth covered baker's rack. The pizza skin did look a bit dry but I bet that's exactly what they want. Which is funny because OG and the other poster (sorry) talked about using a spray. With that in mind, I'm plan to bulk ferment the dough overnight, begin shaping the skin the next day, and let the full formed skins sit and room temperature loosely covered for a few hours before I dress the pie. Incidentally I came across a decent pizza warmer with humidity controls for a hundred bucks. Now I don't know about you guys but I'm not a huge fan of pizza from a warmer. Instead, it makes for an awesome proofer which has completely upped my game in not only pizza making but also when I make hamburger buns and loaves and so forth. I was going to  see if anyone has ever made their own proofer, but I imagine it probably would have been much more than $100 bucks to construct. But anyways, be back soon with results... Hopefully I hear about that sauce. Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:35:48 AM by pizzaman716 »

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 11:51:06 AM »
I just whipped up a batch of dough mentioned in reply 9 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2631.msg22750#msg22750 from RockyMarciano. I'm going to bulk proof it for a couple hours and transfer it into the fridge until tomorrow.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:26 PM »
Seems to be fairly accurate with what a lot of places are using for their recipe minus the bulk ferment. If you want make something really good you could do a multi day cold ferment or room temp ferment for say 24 hours with a weaker flour and adjust the water %. While I do enjoy a proper Buffalo style pizza the common recipes IMO do not have proper fermentation and lack flavor, perhaps some old dough or criscetto would help add some flavor to the pleasant texture of a properly cook Buffalo Style pizza.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »
Sounds like you got the correct Redpack but I can't say for sure without a picture. I have havent been to the Bocce on Hopkins in 10 years I only go to the location on Bailey it's the only one doing it right IMO (imperial seems to be the best the last few years). I imagine they had some dried out dough because no one there cares enough to do it right way which is painful to see as it's not a technically difficult style to pull off. Also I agree with you on the warmers I hate them. I would much rather have a reheat than a dried out slice sitting in a warmer. You may be able to use it as a proofer I have never tried myself though. The big racks you saw are typically covered with heavy plastic so I gets really warm in here and acts as a proofer. The bad part is they are not air tight and air does get in and dry out the dough which is where the spray bottle should come in.

Jay
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:51:18 PM by Ogwoodfire »

Offline PizzaMark

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 09:30:37 PM »
Hey Jay,

I've been following your posts for a few weeks and trying to recreate some of my local favorites (Bocce Club on Bailey, Pizza Oven & LaHacienda in the Falls). I get all of my stuff from Rest. Depot, but been having a hell of a time finding the Bastistoni - would you mind sharing where you found it?

Also - was the sauce recipe you posted for the original BC pizza on Bailey or one of the other locations?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 11:40:22 AM »
Until about a few years ago the Oven used Margherita stick sliced in house... Now they use Margherita cup n char pre slice. I was at Dash's the other day they did sell the small packs of Battistoni. The Depot definitely doesn't carry it, i think you have to get it from Latina or some other distributer. But yeah Dash's carries the small presliced packs and also sticks.

Offline pizzaman716

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
Unless of course you were talking Pizza Oven in the Falls... I was referring to the one in LP

Offline PizzaMark

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »
Thanks man, I'll head over to Dashes tomorrow.

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Sorry guys I just saw this. The sauce recipe was from transit not Bailey. Battistoni pepperoni is made in Buffalo so it is carried by many places, but not RD. You can get it at dashs and wegmams on the stick but you will need to slice it yourself.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2016, 04:47:03 PM »
Sorry guys I just saw this. The sauce recipe was from transit not Bailey. Battistoni pepperoni is made in Buffalo so it is carried by many places, but not RD. You can get it at dashs and wegmams on the stick but you will need to slice it yourself.
Jay you mentioned getting grande in Rochester- at Olindo's? I go to Rubino's frequently but I don't think they carry it.

Clay

Offline Ogwoodfire

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »
Clay,

Big Apple carries it. Not sure where it may be available at retail.

Jay