Author Topic: Flour questiion  (Read 2391 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

Flour questiion
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
This site sells all trumps #50143 in repacked 5lb bags. I have been reading about this here and it seems to be worth a try so I'm getting 10lbs. Meanwhile I just got a pasta machine, crank kind, and I also want to get flour for it. I've read about using ''OO'', some tout adding semolina, but I don't know what kind to get. I hear Caputo makes ''OO'' pizza and an ''OO'' pasta flour, so seemingly you can get this wrong. If it makes a difference I am mostly interested in making lasagna noodles at first. Then I read people online who say use Pillsbury all purpose is fine, so I need some sound advice.

If someone can look at what's available from this link and give pasta flour advice before I order some AT I'd really appreciate it.
http://www.pennmac.com/page/27

PS while I'm asking am I nuts not just going with Caputo pizzeria flour instead of all trumps? Steve seemed to love it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:29:52 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Flour questiion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »
I use Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour often for making fresh pasta. Lately I have been using it for a yolk-rich pasta recipe from the French Laundry. I think the type of flour may not be as important in the final product as the amount of water, eggs, oil, etc. and how it is mixed and kneaded (surprise!).

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »
Mario Batali always recommends all purpose flour for fresh pasta.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:32 PM »
Thanks sooo much guys, it makes it easier if I can just get one, and I've been dying to try Caputo.

Bill, here's where I show my true knowledge of these things, which one is "00" pizzeria! I mean they call one pizzeria and one TIPO "00" , now that I look closer. Pick a link!

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3765

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3201

PS. Terry, I see they have the Moz. Curds too, that's soon via your inspiration.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:26:03 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
NYPS,
They're the same product in different sizes.  The "Chef's flour" is 00 pizza flour in a "retail" 1 kilo package.  I believe Peter has confirmed this sometime in the recent past. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
Jimbo,

If you're looking for a 00 flour strictly for pasta I'd look for this one here if it has to be Caputo.

http://www.pennmac.com/page/440
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Thanks Burntedges and Mike.

Ok, so the OO-Pizzeria for pizza, and the pasta for pasta! Mike, I didn't even see that on their page...I still can't find it, so thanks for the link!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
Thanks Burntedges and Mike.

Ok, so the OO-Pizzeria for pizza, and the pasta for pasta! Mike, I didn't even see that on their page...I still can't find it, so thanks for the link!

No problem, Bro.

It's all the way on the bottom, where it says "Caputo Pasta" in red. It's on the "Pasta" page, not on the "Pizza Makers" one.

http://www.pennmac.com/page/17
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »
See once again you're ahead of me.... AS USUAL!

Thanks man.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 05:06:01 PM »
OH, Mike, do you see "bench flour" on this site? In going to larger pies I am having a hell of a time getting em off the peel, regular flour and cornmeal still give me the dreaded "egg shape", and all hear say this is the stuff. I hear it's because of the ash content, or something, and even though I smoke I feel Marlboro ashes is probably a bad idea. I have a wood stove too, hmmm...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:14:30 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »
OH, Mike, do you see "bench flour" on this site? In going to larger pies I am having a hell of a time getting em off the peel, regular flour and cornmeal still give me the dreaded "egg shape", and all hear say this is the stuff. I hear it's because of the ash content, or something, and even though I smoke I feel Marlboro ashes is probably a bad idea. I have a wood stove too, hmmm...

I'd burn a few logs if I were you because I don't think the Marlboro ashes will cut it. But I also heard, and this it complete and TOTAL hear-say among pizza makers in Amsterdam, that the ashes from.......well, never mind.

Go with the logs, Jimbo.  ;D
Mike

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
So that's a "no, they don't sell bench flour", right? Lol

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
So that's a "no, they don't sell bench flour", right? Lol

You, Sir, are correct.  8)

Edit: Come to think of it...have you tried saw dust yet? That might work.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:15:29 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
NYPS

Try rice flour as a release agent.  It doesn't burn, smoke, or impart the scorched corn meal taste.  Do a search on this forum about it and you'll see that most members are quite happy with it.  Some use it as a dough ingredient. 

I don't think PennMac carries it, but it's usually available at most grocery stores.  Some popular brands are Bob's Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills.  I got mine at Whole Foods.  There's also brown rice flour and white rice flour; I use the white variety.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
2nd on the rice flour Bobs Red Mill
Great for bench
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »
I like coarse semolina....

gives a nice crunch.

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »
2nd on the rice flour Bobs Red Mill
Great for bench

Yes Jack  and B.E., I have read this. Let me ask of the flavor, if any, that it leaves? I had a bad experience with saki as a younger man, can't even smell it today, so anything with heated rice raises concern. Not really, but any taste issue? I like the idea as it seems finer, so less of a heat barrier.

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
When using rice flour as a release agent only, I do not detect any change in the flavor or texture of the crust.

pizzapan