Author Topic: Costco (Kirkland) shredded mozzarella  (Read 14548 times)

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
Re: Costco (Kirkland) shredded mozzarella
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
Costco do a Kosher Shredded Mozzarella which I've found works very well.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 12:32:20 AM »
I've been buying TJs whole milk mozz and it has a good taste and melts well. I actually like it better than the boars head hard mozz.

I've switched off of adding provolone and find just a small mix of mozz and grana padana Parmesan gives just the right amount of flavor and saltiness to a bland mozz.

scott123

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
Chau, have you tried any brands of private label supermarket mozzarella?  I find it creamier than the Trader Joes and a lot cheaper. It's also, to me, more authentically NY style (street).

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
I tried the supermarket private label a long while back but that was when I was less discerning. I'll have to try it again soon. Lately I've tried all the supermarkets regular stuff in blocks and shredded and it seems okay.  I've been enjoying this TJs whole milk mozz quite a bit. I'll snap a pic next time so you'll know which one I'm using since they have several to choose from.

I'll also stop by SAMs this weekend and see if I can find that mixed bag posted earlier.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
OK, more on this.

I find the kind of pizza (e.g., thin vs. stuffed) makes difference as to the cheese I like to use.  In stuffed, I really like the Grande 50/50.  On thin, though, I think probably straight mozzarella is my preference.  The chewier texture of the Grande blend makes the thin crust's cheese get too hard too fast after it gets out of the oven.  But in stuffed, the sealed in cheese seems to stay meltier, and thicker, longer.  (And by "thin," I mean more of a Chicago thin (which has more on it.)  This is to be distinguished from the Neopolitan-style thins, which feature the dough more prominently, cooked at a higher teperatures, and have a lot less cheese and stuff on top.)

Just my 2 cents.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Belgioso is nice, I use it for Caprese salad , I have not tried it on pizza, but I guess it must taste good as I enjoy it raw
I tied the block mozzarella from Kirklands and its bland ,very bland again I am eating it raw.

go for me Belgioso is awesome raw, very tasty. but its expensive here, 17 dollars for the twin pack.

pizzapan