Author Topic: Costco (Kirkland) shredded mozzarella  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Aldo

Costco (Kirkland) shredded mozzarella
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:43:49 AM »
OK, on Costco (Kirkland) mozzarella.  They sell it in 5 pound bags, shredded.  Part skim low moisture -- no whole milk.  About 8 to 10 bucks a bag.  Questions:

(1) Like, anybody think this cheese is OK?  I kinda like it, but prefer a whole milk.  You?

(2) Price isn't bad -- but who makes it for them?  The place is a nationwide chain -- is it one supplier, or regional?

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Re: Costco (Kirkland) shredded mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
It's fine for my chlorestrol challenged family.  The neighbors and friends, here in pizza challenged Seattle, have no issues with it either.  It melts well, strings well and tastes fine, especially when I've drizzled just a bit of olive oil or shredded some Parmesano Reggiano (also Costco) on top of the pie.

Overall, I like it.

Jack
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:54:23 PM by Jack »

Offline Aldo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »
Yeah, I like its qualities, too, Jack, and I too like to drizzle olive oil in.  I find it OK.  If only they'd do a 50/50 blend like Grande -- like the one PennMac sells -- I bet Costco'd sell out.

Offline verde

• Hatch Chiles
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »
I haven't tried the Kirkland shredded, but have used the 5 lb blocks.  I didn't much care for it:  too soft to dice or shred easily, and rather bland.

Offline Guts

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
ALDO
I to was not impressed with Costco cheese. For a inexpensive cheese I have been using Smart & Final cheese. It's not to bad and a improvement over Costco in my opinion.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
I'm crazy about this stuff. I prefer it to Grande. Blends perfectly with other cheeses, too.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:09:41 AM »
Thanks, Puzzolento,and I agree with you.  You know, I actually appreciate Costco's bagged mozzarella more lately.  I've lately been trying some of the Cash and Carry big bags (whole milk low moisture shredded 5# bag) and it's had nowhere near the good melt that the Costco shreeded bag has.  What I want to know is, where does Kirkland get their mozzarella made?  A local Pacific NW farm?  It's a mystery I'm curious to solve!

Maybe next time I get to Costco, I'll ask.  If I am told, I'll let you know ...

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »
I would appreciate that. Thank you. I'm afraid they'll switch providers, and then I'll be in trouble.

Lately I've been combining it half-and-half with Gordon Food Service provolone. I was floored the first time I tried them together. For traditional NY pizza, I will never use anything else.

I was very surprised by Costco cheese, because it contains cellulose powder, and it's supposedly part-skim, but it bakes up more like whole-milk mozzarella, and the texture is wonderful. I haven't tried the blocks because the shredded is so good and so cheap, I don't see the point.

Right now I'm paying $2.15 a pound! Sure beats inferior grocery cheese at three times the price.

Offline veloboy

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
I started off with the Kirkland stuff. Then I picked up some BelGioioso mozzarella cheese while at costco because the wife wanted "fresher" stuff. Glad I did. It tastes a lot better than the Kirkland stuff. It only added about $.40 to the cost of a pizza. It is packed a little wet and is really soft. I put it though the shredder and it didn't really shred as turn it to a fluffy pile of cheese goodness. Still was really easy to weigh and then spread out. I just bought some more Sunday. I think I'll try just slicing it this time. We'll see. Either way, I made one pie with the Kirkland and one with the new cheese last Friday and I could tell the difference with the award going to the BelGioioso brand. My two cents anyhow.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
I didn't start off with Costco cheese. I ended up with it after trying everything else I could find. I'm sure glad I didn't like Grande as much. It costs a ton here.

I haven't used Belgioioso mozzarella. I've used their provolone, which I would not use again, and their scamorza, which was good, but a little too bland and buttery. I've been told I should have mixed the scamorza with mozzarella.

I now use Costco mozzarella cut with another brand of provolone. It's exactly the taste and texture I've been hunting for, and boy, is it cheap! Individual 12" pizza for $1.75!

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
Turned out I was mistaken about the provolone being cheap. Dang it.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just posted this comment in response to one of Puzzolento's posts, and since it is also relevant here, I am adding it here as well.  in sum, I just tried Grande's 50/50 and like what I tried:

Puzzolento, I just tried Grande 50/50 for the first time this past week.  Background: I make thin crust and stuffed pizzas -- only at home, in a terrible electric oven; not commercially.  Previously, I'd tried just about all the store brand mozzarellas in shrink wrap one pound sizes, as well as Costco's five pound grated mozzarella bag, and First Street's grated mozzarella bags.  Maybe once I blended provolone and mozzarella, but many years ago.  I'd never tried Grande and heard it was good.  I have to say, I prefer Grande.  Compared to straight mozzarella, and particularly Costco's grated five pound bags, Grande's 50/50 is chewier, melts beautifully, and is noticeably tastier.  I noticed a big difference just opening the bag: the smell was immediately apparent.  The Grande 50/50 has a more intense, but very pleasant cheese smell.  (How much of that is attributable to the provolone, I don't know, but there you have it.)  I also am finding that the Grande 50/50 stuffed pizzas reheat in the microwave much better.  The Grande 50/50 blend on microwave reheat maintains its stringy melt much better than Costco mozzarella -- which liquefies and sometimes gets too liquidy or gloppy.  And the taste of Grande's 50/50 is better.  A fuller, richer cheese taste.  I next plan to try their east Coast Blend, a pure mozzarella that is some blend of part-skim and whole-milk reduced moisture mozzarella, apparently.

I don't know how the 50/50 will freeze, but I may try that.  I note that, unlike other grated varieties available in stores, Grande's 50/50 has neither any antibiotic or any anti-caking agent like cellulose.  Costco's has both.  The Grande 50/50is just cheese!

I think I have found a new fave!  I respect contrary opinions on this, but this is mine.

Offline Aldo

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
I started off with the Kirkland stuff. Then I picked up some BelGioioso mozzarella cheese while at costco because the wife wanted "fresher" stuff. Glad I did. It tastes a lot better than the Kirkland stuff. It only added about $.40 to the cost of a pizza. It is packed a little wet and is really soft. I put it though the shredder and it didn't really shred as turn it to a fluffy pile of cheese goodness. Still was really easy to weigh and then spread out. I just bought some more Sunday. I think I'll try just slicing it this time. We'll see. Either way, I made one pie with the Kirkland and one with the new cheese last Friday and I could tell the difference with the award going to the BelGioioso brand. My two cents anyhow.

Veloboy, I noticed that Costco's five pound mozzarella cheese has two things added that solid mozzarella blocks in the store (and Grande's 50/50 grated bags) don't have: "powdered cellulose to prevent caking and natamycin (a natural mold inhibitor)."  (I quoted that from a Costco bag.)  I don't know how those additives impact the flavor and performance of he cheese, but it's there.  I am guessing it has some impact, perhaps only a slightly perceptible one, bbut some.  So I bet you're spot on.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
I use and like the costco shredded mozzarella in the big bag as well. My current combination is shredded belgioso and shredded provolone mixed with this stuff in equal proportions. I'll even shake some Parmesan into the mix for some added flavor.

I've tried adding a bit of Swiss Fontina cheese in but I'm not a big fan. It's got a rather pungent flavor.  My next combination to try is a bit of white cheddar instead of provolone.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 08:36:26 PM »
I have Grande 50/50 on hand at the moment, and I find it very bland compared to Costco. Odd, since this sounds like the opposite of your experience. I wanted to use Grande at my church, because we can't get Costco delivered.

Now I'm hoping to find Belgioioso, since a rumor says it's the same as Costco. Unfortunately, there have been similar rumors about other brands, and I tried them all, and they were not the same cheese.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
I have Grande 50/50 on hand at the moment, and I find it very bland compared to Costco. Odd, since this sounds like the opposite of your experience. I wanted to use Grande at my church, because we can't get Costco delivered.

Now I'm hoping to find Belgioioso, since a rumor says it's the same as Costco. Unfortunately, there have been similar rumors about other brands, and I tried them all, and they were not the same cheese.

Belgioso is not bad.  I think a lot of ppl here use it b/c it's cheap as far as wet mozz goes.  I can't remember what I pay for it, but i believe it's around $6-$8 for 2-16oz packages (2lbs).  It's rather bland IMO and needs to be mixed with provolone, parmesan, romano, or some other stronger flavored cheese.  I have read that some members don't like it either.  It melts well, has a very white color to it, taste ok, and is cheap so I use it.  :-D

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
Belgioso is not bad.  I think a lot of ppl here use it b/c it's cheap as far as wet mozz goes.  I can't remember what I pay for it, but i believe it's around $6-$8 for 2-16oz packages (2lbs).  It's rather bland IMO and needs to be mixed with provolone, parmesan, romano, or some other stronger flavored cheese.  I have read that some members don't like it either.  It melts well, has a very white color to it, taste ok, and is cheap so I use it.  :-D

Same thing here. What readily available Mozz do you recommend that tastes better? I pick up 4 packs in BJs of Belgioso (4 balls) for about 8 bucks.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »
I'm not sure if there is one.  I think (and I'm probably wrong) that mozz is just a mild cheese at best.  Some have a very mild taste while others are tasteless.  I haven't sprung for the buffala yet.  I'm waiting to get my crust perfected, then I'll shell out the $12 per lb. and give it a taste test. 

I recently tried Polly-O full cream style Mozzarella Cheese Curd Gold from Penn Mac.  I bought 2 lbs and all I have to say is that is the most tasteless cheese I've ever tried.  Heck, the Belgioso tastes a lot better than this stuff and that's saying alot for the Belgioso.  It's on par with tofu except it has a thicker consistency and melts on pizza.  I'm mixing it with other stuff to use it up but pretty sure I won't be buying it again.  Anyone else have the same experience?

Offline gijoe985

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
It's not Costco, but I am a big fan of the Sams Club blend you can buy. It's pretty cheap (probably between $2-3 a pound). I don't know the exact ratio of the blend, but it is Mozz, Provalone, and Cheddar. Not very much cheddar. You can't see a color difference on a pizza. But it is packed full with flavor. All the taste testers from my church have liked it over other generic brands as well as Precious fresh mozz which is like $7 per lb.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
Same thing here. What readily available Mozz do you recommend that tastes better? I pick up 4 packs in BJs of Belgioso (4 balls) for about 8 bucks.

Hotsawce, I just tried Trader Joes whole milk mozzarella in the ball.  It was fantastic, much more flavor than Costco's belgioso cheese.  Tasted better raw and melted.  It's not as cheap as Belgioso but I will be buying it instead if I can't improve the flavor of belgioso.  I have 2 loaves of belgioso left and doing an experiment to try to improve the flavor.  I added salt water to a portion and salted cream to another.  Will update this thread or start another once I have the results.