Author Topic: Ranks  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Trogdor33

Ranks
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
Preface: This is not a complaint, I am just intrigued about it.

I am a computer geek and have been an admin/mod on other forums (mostly phpbb, I haven't done SMF) and I can't for the life of me figure out any rhyme or reason to the user ranks such as Member, Member 1 and Registered User. The way phpbb was set up, I could either make ranks based on post count or have special ranks that were assigned individually or by a group. Here I see people with similar post counts to mine with member, member1 and registered user. Are they based on something other than post count or do you just have a room full of cigarette smoking monkeys randomly assigning ranks just to mess with me?

Please don't mistake this for complaining, I just wonder how it is set up because of my own natural geek curiosity.
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Ranks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »
"Are they based on something other than post count or do you just have a room full of cigarette smoking monkeys randomly assigning ranks just to mess with me?"

Could be,but I think it has more to do with thae amount of financial donation one contributes to support the site?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
I figured that supporting member was the rank for people who have donated, regardless of their donation amount, but of course I was wrong that one other time... so I suppose there is always that possibility.  :-D
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »
I figured that supporting member was the rank for people who have donated, regardless of their donation amount, but of course I was wrong that one other time... so I suppose there is always that possibility.  :-D

That is it, as I was a supporting member after sending in a contribution, but I've probably timed out since my last contribution.

Jack

Edit - Yup, no longer a supporting member.