Author Topic: Please share good grill setups  (Read 4155 times)

Offline elshout

Please share good grill setups
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »
Would some of you that have good results grilling pizzas share information about your setup? I would like to purchase a grill and stone for making pizzas. However, most of the pizza pics I have seen that have been made on the grill have charred/black crust. I would like some ideas such as grill brand, size, and pictures of your setup and pizzas if you are able to produce a pizza with a golden crust on a grill. Thanks in advance from a new member.

Offline UnConundrum

Re: Please share good grill setups
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »
Big Green Egg is the way to go :)  Several threads here on using one.

Offline BobS

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »
I am a big fan of the Lg Big Green Egg for pizza.

I have not gotten around to adjusting picture size to be able to post here, but you can go to the Big Green Egg Forum or to SmokinGuitarPlayer's and see lots of pizza pictures.  

You put in a ceramic piece called a plate setter and then add a pizza stone.  I push the stone up into the dome by using some 1 1/4", copper pipe couplings between the plate setter and the stone.  This gives a better balance between the crust and the topping.

If you char the crust you have done something wrong.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=showcat&catid=1

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/594.htm

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:31:30 AM »
Here's a page that shows how we typically set up a Large BGE for pizza baking ...

FB/SGP

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/98.htm
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »
Or get a 2stone to fit into your existing grill:

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-pizza-gril.html

Its hard to keep the bottom from burning with a simple stone-on-grill setup but the 2stone does an excellent job of cooking the top without burning the bottom.  It can cook a pizza either at NY style temps or all the way up to 900F Neapolitan.

Scott

Offline BobBill

• Pies since 1972
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:56:59 AM by BobBill »
Welcome to our round playground called Earth
Where the greatest cause of death is birth! Lucas, Winona
All you gotta know - JD Winona

Offline bbqnpizza

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:43:26 AM »
Here is my first post on PMF, I use a weber kettle, and a cordierite kiln shelf as the stone.

I gave some fairly clear details on how to do pizza without precooking the dough.
I cook it just like a pizza oven and it comes out great.

You can buy a 22" weber kettle for $80  (its not the fancy one, but it will do the trick)
YOu can get the Kiln shelf for under $20, you don't need more that 5/8" thick.
You don't need a plate under the stone, if you work your coals right, you can cook 3 pizzas.
The timing on the pizzas: 1st pizza roughly 4-5 min. 2nd pizza 5-7 min. 3rd pizza 8-10 min.

To prevent burning you need to turn the pizza at least once.

Using the weber kettle / briquettes and kiln shelf cordierite stone, is most likely the least expensive setup to get great tasting pizza that has that wood fired taste.

The major Con, is using the weber kettle is labor intensive.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:45:01 AM by bbqnpizza »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
You might want to take a look at the Rotisserie Pizza Grill in the homemade ovens section (and youtube videos search on the same name).  I used a standard grill and got great results.
Dave

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
I was not quite sure of you were referring to home or commercial at first, then someone mentioned the BGE (Big Green Egg) and I realized this is for home use.

A agree, the BGE is a great unit, you can grill at super high temps, BBQ Low&slow, or do just about anything on those BGE's. They are not cheap by any means, but well worth the investment. I do not own one, but I have used them at other peoples homes and they are impressive

Check out this site>>>  NakedWhiz dot com (this forum will not allow me to post hyperlinks yet, but you get the idea) the guys that run that site are BGE maniacs!! and they also have an entire website devoted to BGE cookery and information and rating on lump-style charcoal. You can even learn about electronic controllers to maintain temperatures in charcoal-fueled equipment. I use a "Stoker" controller on one of my Commercial mobile BBQ Pits, check the controllers out too. Imagine doing an overnight cook for pulled pork, and not needing to check on it, the controller does it for you, and it can alert you of temp problems via the web, or cellphone messaging. You can even change temps on it using a web-phone or laptop from anywhere in the world that you have web access.

IMO, do not screw around with briquettes when cooking with charcoal, once you learn what the stuff is made of you'll understand why it produces so much ash and it's heat potential is so limited. Use lump, be happy!
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
Here is a link to what I did with my gas grill. I've been generally pleased with the results.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

Craig
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:54:36 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 01:28:03 AM »
Here is my set up using firebricks.  I also use the rotisserie feature to get the high temperatures needed.

Scott

pizzapan