Author Topic: Zoey's Pizza Marion, IA  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Zoey Girl

Zoey's Pizza Marion, IA
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
I have been eating Chicago Style pizza my whole life but don't get it a lot since moving to Iowa.  I found a restaurant in Marion, IA called Zoey's and think it's the best "Chicago" pizza I have ever had.  I know...very hard to believe...but trust me...it's great!  I am curious if anyone else has ever tasted their pizza or have any ideas on a recipe similar to theirs... :chef:

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Zoey's Pizza Marion, IA
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
I'm familiar with Zoey's.  I'll say that it's good but a couple problems I have with are really just nitpicks.  First, the crust is too thick.  It's thicker than any Chicago Deep Dish pie I've ever had...and I've had a lot.  Second, I think they use a prepackaged, pre-cooked sausage.  I'm not completely certain of that but it was at least pre-cooked and not very good.  I've always preferred raw sausage cooked with the pie over pre-cooked.  Pre-cooked seems too tough, for me anyway.  Their conventional style pizza, or whatever they call it (NY style IIRC) I don't think is anything special.  I'll go to Cranky Hank's in Cedar Rapids for that type of pie.

If you live in the area and haven't had Wig and Pen's stuffed pizza in Coralville, you're missing out on the  best Chicago style pie in the state.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline devans0

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
I too am a fan of Zoey's calzones and deep dish pizzas.  I hope to duplicate their pizza recipe but am using currently using the Giordano's crust recipe for the dough.  Different than Zoey's but great in its own right.  I've never tried the Coralville restaurant but will have to soon.  Th e quest for the best pizza in the area is an ongoing adventure.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:56:37 PM by devans0 »

Offline Pizza Zem

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
Hi Zoey Girl.

As a fellow Iowan and lover of pizza, I have been all over the state and tried pizza everywhere I can.  Zoey's is indeed a good pie, but if you want the best deep dish pizza near your home town, head in to Cedar Rapids and go to the original center point road location and order a Tomaso's Detroit style pizza.  It is fabulous.  They have also opened a restaurant in Marion, but the original on center point is still better.

Hope you enjoy it.

Offline android

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:02 AM »
as an iowan, i appreciate this thread immensely. i live in ames, but next time i am in those areas, i know exactly where i'll be eating! thanks for the info.

Offline Lespaul20

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Quite a few Iowans here, nice to see. I was told about Tomaso's this weekend while having dinner at Old Chicago in Ames.