Author Topic: better homes and garden grandma pizza  (Read 5522 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
better homes and garden grandma pizza
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:11:03 PM »
a few years ago BHG put out a issue on italian cooking. in it they had a 100 year old recipe from a sicilian family out of chicago. i was for grandma pizza that was passed down and now made by the current generation. the dough was a quick dough containing egg for lightness . my family loves this pizza .i am not sure if it has been covered already, if not i would supply the info. enclosed is a pic of the last one i made.

Offline Trogdor33

Re: better homes and garden grandma pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
Please share. I just watched the chef bruno video in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9826.0.html for the second time and his looked very good, but he didn't provide any dough details. I would be interested to know what your formula and method are.

-Joe
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline dicepackage

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:41:53 AM »
I would love the recipe if you don't mind typing it out.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »
thezaman,
The pictures of the grandma's pizza look delicious.  :) The idea of adding eggs is interesting.  If you have time to post the recipe, I would be interested in trying the grandma's pizza.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:42:43 AM »
a few years ago BHG put out a issue on italian cooking. in it they had a 100 year old recipe from a Sicilian family out of chicago. i was for grandma pizza that was passed down and now made by the current generation. the dough was a quick dough containing egg for lightness . my family loves this pizza .i am not sure if it has been covered already, if not i would supply the info. enclosed is a pic of the last one i made.

Interesting,  I have never heard of egg going into a Sicilian pizza dough.  The only time I've heard of egg being used in dough is for a cassata crust, which is a cross between a pizza dough & Sicilian pastry dough.  I am going to call my great aunt in Sicily this morning to get her pizza dough recipe & will gladly share it.

Matt

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
Interesting,  I have never heard of egg going into a Sicilian pizza dough.  The only time I've heard of egg being used in dough is for a cassata crust, which is a cross between a pizza dough & Sicilian pastry dough.  I am going to call my great aunt in Sicily this morning to get her pizza dough recipe & will gladly share it.

Matt

Yes, please do  :chef:
For all you non-geeks who may be wondering what the name trogdor is all about, have a look here: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 09:18:33 AM »
Okay, just spoke with her & her formula is as follows:

600g flour
300g water
20g vegetable oil
3 tbs sugar
12 g (change in accordance to your taste)
yeast (varies-use what you normally use)

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
the egg adds lightness to the dough. it is easy and the pizza is very tasty . my wife hates my Neapolitan pizza, she is a nutritionist and anti salt. she loves this pie minus the sausage . i am going to give you the recipe from start to finish.  dough 1 pk dry yeast ,1 cup warm h2o 105 deg, 1 egg ,3 tablespoons of evoo, 3.5 to 4 cups of all-purpose flour. disolve yeast in water . let stand 5 minutes. in mixing bowl ,combine eggs,oil and salt. stir in yeast mixture. add 1 1/4 flour mix 30 seconds. scraping down bowl. add remaining flour mix on high 3 minutes .remove add flour and hand kneed 6 to 8 minutes to make a moderately stiff dough [i made a slightly sticky dough]. place in oiled bowl cover and let it double. 30 minutes. punch down spread into a 16 by 12 oiled pan .cover and rise for 20 minutes.
   making :sprinkle dried oregano onto the dough [i used sicilian on the branch ],spread i cup of crushed tomatoes, spread 16 ounces of shredded mozzarella, pinch off chunks of raw Italian sausage [1 pound], sprinkle with reggiano- parmigiano and evoo. bake in preheated 375 oven 30 minutes. i baked at 450 till done. 15 to 20 minutes. i am sure this dough could be improved with less yeast longer rise etc. i started mine at 7 pm  and ate it at 9 pm . note on the magazine, it is called simply perfect italian the issue i have was published in 2006 . i have seen it this year labeled back by demand. there is a meatball recipe in it using raisins ,that simmered in tomato sauce are delicious!! any questions ask.
 one more thing about the egg and its use in pizza dough, i think ginos east colors it's dough to give the impression of egg being added. they probably don't because of the expense.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:48:17 AM by thezaman »

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »
...combine eggs,oil and salt. 

I didn't see the quantity for salt, or do you omit it?

Do you bake the pan on the oven's wire shelf or a stone?

Thanks.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
sorry missed salt  1/4 teaspoon of salt.  thanks and sorry. larry

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
No problem Larry...

But... what about the baking method -  do you put the pan on the wire oven rack or a pizza stone?

Thanks.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 02:03:47 PM »
their method is 375 deg. in the pan on the rack. 30 minutes or until golden brown . i personally cook higher at 450 for 20 minutes or until brown.i took my stone out and cooked on the shelf placed in the middle slot.

Offline BurntEdges

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
Thank You ZaMan!    - I'm diggin' the start @ 7PM & eat @ 9PM feature.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34:57 PM »
 i know we all believe in slow proofing our dough to max flavor. this is a starting point that as a group we could improve on . we have done this pizza as a family event and it was fun. the whole idea in the article is how it was passed down to each generation.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 04:50:46 PM »
i think ginos east colors it's dough to give the impression of egg being added. they probably don't because of the expense.

Larry,

You are correct about Gino's East. They apparently use FDC YELLOW #5 AND #6 (Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7467.msg64252/topicseen.html#msg64252).

Peter

Offline Trogdor33

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
Larry,

What type of flour and yeast do you use for this? I will convert this all to bakers % when I try it (won't be until after I get my new lloyds pans for Christmas), so I will post it back when I do.

Just out of curiosity, is this one you sell at your store or is it a strictly home recipe?

-Joe

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
joe, this is not my work pizza . enclosed is a pic one of my work pizzas. also i found a pic of the BHG grandma pizza that my son made last christmas out of boredom , he cleaned out the refrigerator scrounging for ingredients . last pick is the crumb on the BHG from last night. the flour i used was a unbleached a/p flour. the yeast was saf dry. note on my work pizza ,you will see it is a little lite on the bottom i pull my pizzas out of the pan and finish the bottom in the oven ,this was a pic prior to that step.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
the egg adds lightness to the dough. it is easy and the pizza is very tasty . my wife hates my Neapolitan pizza, she is a nutritionist and anti salt. she loves this pie minus the sausage . i am going to give you the recipe from start to finish.  dough 1 pk dry yeast ,1 cup warm h2o 105 deg, 1 egg ,3 tablespoons of evoo, 3.5 to 4 cups of all-purpose flour. disolve yeast in water . let stand 5 minutes. in mixing bowl ,combine eggs,oil and salt. stir in yeast mixture. add 1 1/4 flour mix 30 seconds. scraping down bowl. add remaining flour mix on high 3 minutes .remove add flour and hand kneed 6 to 8 minutes to make a moderately stiff dough [i made a slightly sticky dough]. place in oiled bowl cover and let it double. 30 minutes. punch down spread into a 16 by 12 oiled pan .cover and rise for 20 minutes.
   making :sprinkle dried oregano onto the dough [i used sicilian on the branch ],spread i cup of crushed tomatoes, spread 16 ounces of shredded mozzarella, pinch off chunks of raw Italian sausage [1 pound], sprinkle with reggiano- parmigiano and evoo. bake in preheated 375 oven 30 minutes. i baked at 450 till done. 15 to 20 minutes. i am sure this dough could be improved with less yeast longer rise etc. i started mine at 7 pm  and ate it at 9 pm . note on the magazine, it is called simply perfect italian the issue i have was published in 2006 . i have seen it this year labeled back by demand. there is a meatball recipe in it using raisins ,that simmered in tomato sauce are delicious!! any questions ask.
 one more thing about the egg and its use in pizza dough, i think ginos east colors it's dough to give the impression of egg being added. they probably don't because of the expense.

I converted the recipe to baker's percentages for anyone who is interested.  Since there is a variation in the flour quantity, I based it on a mean of 469 grams which translates
to a hydration value of 50.5%.

Flour (100%):    469.15 g  |  16.55 oz | 1.03 lbs
Water (50.5%):    236.92 g  |  8.36 oz | 0.52 lbs
ADY (1.7%):    7.98 g | 0.28 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.11 tsp | 0.7 tbsp
Salt (.15%):    0.7 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.21 tsp | 0.07 tbsp
Olive Oil (8.7%):    40.82 g | 1.44 oz | 0.09 lbs | 9.07 tsp | 3.02 tbsp
Eggs, large (10.75%):    50.43 g | 1.78 oz | 0.11 lbs | 9.96 tsp | 3.32 tbsp
Total (171.8%):   806 g | 28.43 oz | 1.78 lbs | TF = N/A

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
matt , i didn't weight the flour but i did weigh the finished dough. it weighed out at 27 ounces ,so you got close . i think the water should be a little higher. the recipe said the dough would be stiff i added flour till i got to to the tacky point.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »
Larry,

What brand of all-purpose flour did you use, and did you use all of the formula flour? And how did you measure out the flour from the flour container? For example, did you lift flour from the flour container with a spoon into your measuring cup and then level it, or did you just dip your measuring cup into the flour container and level it (or not)?

Matt's water quantity may be on the high side although it is close to the technical value of 8.345 ounces/cup. Can you measure a cup of water in your usual manner and weigh that amount of water? My cup of water is usually closer to 8.1-8.2 ounces/cup. I assume that you did not use more than a cup of water but rather adjusted the amount of flour to get the dough to the tacky stage.

Peter

pizzapan