Author Topic: Finally the rain is gone!!!!  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Finally the rain is gone!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
Matt,
These look awesome. What temperature range are you in for the 24-hour rise, and 5-hour rise? I am using the Ischia also, so just curious.
 :pizza:
Thanks
Chris

72-73 degrees

Offline Matthew

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 06:32:30 PM »
A couple more from today
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:36:42 PM by Matthew »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
Matthew,
Wow, those pies look delicious.   :chef:  Wish I could taste a slice.
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 07:21:13 AM »
Matthew,
Wow, those pies look delicious.   :chef:  Wish I could taste a slice.
Norma

Thanks alot Norma.  Your pies look fantastic as well.

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 08:43:12 AM »
 beautiful pizzas ! what percentage of yeast wet or dry would you suggest to sub for the starter? also i like your  oil cruets in the up skits picture . some one should market those .

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 09:50:30 AM »
Look great Matt. Crumbd pic?
Is the blue one OOil and The green EVOO?
Glad you are enjoying your oven!  I will be firing over labor day. PLanning to keep her going the whole weekend and do all kinds of cool stuff  chiicken ,ribs, brisket, maybe even some bread ? with that wonderful free  residual heat and 2X pizza nights / days min.
Fun fun
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 02:12:25 PM »
beautiful pizzas ! what percentage of yeast wet or dry would you suggest to sub for the starter? also i like your  oil cruets in the up skits picture . some one should market those .

Thanks alot for the kind words.  Those cruets belong to my 4 year old & 20 month old. I'm pretty sure you can get them at Toys R Us  ;) 
I have never worked with wet yeast & have never done a 24+ hour fermentation with dry yeast so I'm not sure. ???

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
Look great Matt. Crumbd pic?
Is the blue one OOil and The green EVOO?
Glad you are enjoying your oven!  I will be firing over labor day. PLanning to keep her going the whole weekend and do all kinds of cool stuff  chiicken ,ribs, brisket, maybe even some bread ? with that wonderful free  residual heat and 2X pizza nights / days min.
Fun fun
John

Thanks alot John.  I'm having a few people over on labour day as well.  Crumb?  I'll sneak one in next time if I can find one. ;) 

Matt

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 07:20:40 AM »
Good lord Matt, those are some georgeous looking pizzas throughout this thread!

These are among the best looking Neapolitan styled pizzas I have seen on this site. Your crust has very beautiful leapord spotting to it, as black pocked and consistent around the crust as you'll see anywhere in the world, which takes some effort and attention to detail. The Caputo and other lower hydration doughs seem to attain leopard spotting much easier than higher gluten doughs like All Trumps, KABF, etc, which typically just brown evenly all over the crust rather than getting that degree of spotting.

Your fermentation with regards to the amount of sugars left in the dough seems to be spot on. As importantly, the differential between the heat of your floor (which at 900F is very nice) and the hotter heat reflecting off the dome seems to be correct. You are also obviously paying close attention to the rotation of the pizze as evidenced by the consistent char around your crust.

Matthew, can you post some more side, crumb shots with a clearer view in the future? Is your hole structure, crumb texture where you personally want it, or are you looking for more alveoles, webbing and general lift/spring in the height of your cornicione?

What type of a kneading/mixing regimen with regards to mixing times, speeds and rest periods are you employing with your DLX for this recipe?

As an aside, you having a wood fired oven in your backyard and doing 24 hour ferments with a wild yeast are proof enough that you are indeed "nuts", so just bust out the camera and come out of the closet, so to speak. :P

Great looking pizzas! 8) :D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Matthew

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 08:32:51 AM »
Good lord Matt, those are some georgeous looking pizzas throughout this thread!

These are among the best looking Neapolitan styled pizzas I have seen on this site. Your crust has very beautiful leapord spotting to it, as black pocked and consistent around the crust as you'll see anywhere in the world, which takes some effort and attention to detail. The Caputo and other lower hydration doughs seem to attain leopard spotting much easier than higher gluten doughs like All Trumps, KABF, etc, which typically just brown evenly all over the crust rather than getting that degree of spotting.

Your fermentation with regards to the amount of sugars left in the dough seems to be spot on. As importantly, the differential between the heat of your floor (which at 900F is very nice) and the hotter heat reflecting off the dome seems to be correct. You are also obviously paying close attention to the rotation of the pizze as evidenced by the consistent char around your crust.

Matthew, can you post some more side, crumb shots with a clearer view in the future? Is your hole structure, crumb texture where you personally want it, or are you looking for more alveoles, webbing and general lift/spring in the height of your cornicione?

What type of a kneading/mixing regimen with regards to mixing times, speeds and rest periods are you employing with your DLX for this recipe?

As an aside, you having a wood fired oven in your backyard and doing 24 hour ferments with a wild yeast are proof enough that you are indeed "nuts", so just bust out the camera and come out of the closet, so to speak. :P

Great looking pizzas! 8) :D

Thanks so much for the kind words.  I have a real passion & really love making making.  I have gone through a slue of mixers & all kinds of baking stones from Fibrament to Corderite shelves.  I was getting really good results wit my NY style pizza in my conventional oven. (Pictured Below)

Although I really like NY style pizza, I was fascinated with Neapolitan Style. I have never been to Naples & thus have never tried an authentic Neapolitan Pizza.  Sounds kinda strange huh?, trying to recreate something that you have never tried.  I also had nothing to compare my pizza to so it was kind of hard in that regard & had to go on photos & videos.  There is only one VPN certified pizzeria in Toronto.  I haven't been there but they use local organic whole wheat flour for their dough :-\  The main reason that I want to go is to see their oven, it's similar to member Pete's "Bruno" manufactured in Naples by Stephano Ferrara.  I have also never had any experience with a wood burning oven up until late spring of this year.  I was a little worried at first because of the dome height, but with a little practice I got the temps where I needed them to be.  You really gotta move fast with those temps.  My stretching technique is pull & flip which I practiced with a wet tea towel for quite some time.  I have to say, I'm getting pretty good & every week I go faster & faster.  It's a pretty cool techniques & always impresses the heck out of your guests.

My results are very consistent & to be quite honest I don't fuss too much on webbing, hole structure etc. it just seems to happen naturally if that makes any sense.  The best way to describe my pizza is that the dough is almost pastry like in texture.  You can easily fold one of my pizza's in half & then in a quarter like they do in Naples.

My mixing technique with the DLX is quite simple.  Using the scraper & roller attachment I add all my water & salt.  I then turn the mixer on to dissolve all the salt.  Once all the salt is dissolved I begin to add my flour a little bit at a time with a tablespoon.  Once I get me dough to the consitency of a medium batter, I add my starter.  I then continue to add the flour until the dough stops sticking to the bowl & a ball begins to form.  I then let it go for a a few minutes longer.  I can pretty much tell by the look & feel when it's done.  This process takes about 20 minutes in the DLX & 6-7 minutes with a Santos.  I then finish the dough by hand kneading for a couple of minutes.  I form the dough into a nice ball & then it goes into an unoiled Cambro container to ferment.  Once the fermentation period is complete (temperature & times vary depending on the starter) I form the panelli & place them in a lightly floured dough proofing box for about 4-5 hours at room temperature.  As you can see I do not incorporate any autolyse.  I have found it of no benefit when using a starter & long fermentation periods.

Hope this helps,
Matthew