Author Topic: Brief musing on a malted crust  (Read 2188 times)

Offline pietradoro

Brief musing on a malted crust
« on: January 11, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
I’ve been experimenting with malted (Carnation Original Malted Milk Powder) crusts.  I’ve concluded that the addition of malt to the dough (at reasonable quantities) does not actually impart a malted flavor.  Rather, it has the unexpected (positive) effect of enhancing the crust flavor by adding a marked “baked-bread” taste and aroma, beyond the normal pizza crust taste and aroma.

When I started out I was expecting that malted-milk flavored result, but never really got it, even when increasing the malt to one tablespoon per cup of flour.  At that dose, I noticed that the aroma in my kitchen while the dough was rising was overwhelmingly malted milkshake-like.  Indeed, it was completely over-the-top in this regard, and I was certain that I had ruined my dough.  After I baked the pizzas, however, the malted milkshake had morphed into a strong French baguette aroma, and there was no sign whatsoever of the malt.  The finished crust tasted pretty good, if a bit too strong baguette.

Then, I reduced the malt to one teaspoon per cup, and the results were not significant.  I couldn’t tell any difference between that malted crust and a non-malted crust.  Finally, I went with one heaping teaspoon per cup of flour and achieved that enhanced “baked-bread” effect, but now it was subtle and pleasantly fragrant without being overly obvious.

I'm now thinking that when it is necessary to make a quick pizza (in an hour or two), and do not have the time for a the dough to properly mature or cold ferment, then the addition of malt can, to some degree, imitate the flavor gained from a longer rise or from 48 hours in the fridge.

Offline Guts

Re: Brief musing on a malted crust
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
I know this is a old post but I think I'm going to try it. I picked up some at Smart & Final.
And I will post the results. Any input on % to try. Pictures included.

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
Kim,

Based on what I have seen on the forum, I would say that the range is about 1.5-3.5%. To start, you might try using something in the middle of that range, and go up or down from there. FYI, one teaspoon of the Carnation's Original Malted Milk Powder weighs 0.0823 ounces (based on the label information). The Carnation's malted milk powder is in the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html.

Peter

Offline Guts

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »
Not real happy with the results using malted milk very brown it did have a different taste more bread like I will adjust the formula next batch and will post the formula . I used a strong 3.5% malt.

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »
Great looking pie to my eye, but of course, taste controls...

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »
Kim,

You no doubt noticed that one of the ingredients for the Carnation product is sodium bicarbonate, more commonly known as baking soda. Baking soda, if used in sufficient quantity, can impart its own unique flavor to the finished product. Not everyone likes that flavor.

Peter

Offline Farmer Brown

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:17:16 PM »
Every try using malt extracts? Or even Carmel malt or malted barley flour?