Author Topic: Abruzzi style pizza  (Read 2798 times)

Offline pizzaji

Abruzzi style pizza
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
This is my first post.

I have a question, my favorite pizza is called Coccia House, it's from Wooster OH which is in Northeastern OH, the family that owns says it's abruzzi style.  Like no other pizza i have had, it's very heavy, almost like biscuit, i am not sure they use yeast.  Has anyone heard of this or had a pizza like this?  I want to make pizza like this but don't know where to start.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Abruzzi style pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
Welcome!

In Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, she has a recipe for Pizza Rustica - Pork and Cheese Pie, Abruzzi Style. Never tried it; not sure it's what you are seeking. It uses a pasta frolla (sweet egg pastry) for a top and bottom crust. Looks very appealing.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »
i think they use a dough with about 4 cups of oil per 25 pounds of flour ,salt ,sugar, yeast. after the dough get two rises it is pressed flat into its pan filling the pan about two thirds. use a shortening such as crisco to grease the pan. the dough is refrigerated when they get an order it is spread to fill the pan and the dough is brought up the sides. it is topped and baked. by not letting the dough rise you get a less bready  dough and the oil gives it shortness.
  this is a guess based on the pizza from my home town that was made by an abruzzi family . i worked their during high school and always eat their pizza when i visit family. their dough is short and biscuit like, buy not heavy.
  i am going to have to try coccia house it is less than an hour from me.

Offline pizzaji

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »
thanks, that helps a lot.  Where in Ohio is the similar pizza, I would like to give it a shot.  Careful the sauce is very potent w/ garlic.  If you go in public after eating coccia house people will definitely smell you.  They put well over a pound of provolone cheese on each large.  Order like the locals, PMSPOT, pepperoni mushroom, sausage, pepperoni on top.  You can also order 1/2 bakes to go, if you like it. 

pizzapan