Author Topic: Finally nailed it "The artisan" pie  (Read 5960 times)

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Finally nailed it "The artisan" pie
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 02:05:44 PM »
D.C. Pizza Master,

I took no offense nor was any intended on my part.

When I started the serious study of pizza making--after I had discovered 00 flour--many of my early pizzas were Neapolitan style pizzas, using the best and most authentic ingredients I could find. Later I became aware of other styles of pizzas that I had heard about but knew little about making. I have always viewed Neapolitan style pizzas as being a separate species of pizza, and not to be compared with other types, much like a parent doesn't favor one child over another (at least not openly). I like Neapolitan pizzas and the Italian history and culture behind them, and we all owe a debt of gratitude to those who left Italy to come to the United States to plant the seeds of the pizza industry in the United States. But that still leaves a lot of room for other alternatives and, if there is anything that Americans excel at, it is creating choices, not only in pizzas but almost every other field imaginable.

Peter

i agree everyone is entitled to choose what kind of pizza they want to make....yet...if one is looking to emulate whats going on in italy right now in terms of pizza making......then you better start making a very thin crust perfectly rounded pizza with non hi gluten flour

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 02:18:27 PM »
Friz,

Yes, you are correct. Malt comes in diastatic and non-diastatic forms and in wet and dry forms. What Addicted has appears to be the dry non-diastatic form. That makes it primarily a sweetener that feeds the yeast, and adds flavor and color to the crust. It doesn't provide additional alpha-amylase enzyme performance,

Peter

Actually the statement on the label "Easy to digest carbohydrate" would indicate it does have amylase activity.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 02:51:53 PM »
Pizza Brewer,

Welcome to the forum.

I see what you are saying but since the dry Aunt Patty's stuff in itself includes some complex carbohydrates, it may be those carbohydrates that are easily digested. Also, if the Aunt Patty's product contains diastatic malt, then I would think that the information would be on the package also, or at least reference to the effects of the malt. Everything on the package pertaining to the product's benefits (color, flavor, etc.) suggests the non-diastatic form of malt. When I went to the Aunt Patty's website, I saw nothing there on diastatic malt, only discussions of sweeteners, both dry and wet.

Peter

Offline addicted

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2005, 01:07:32 AM »

your a very knowledgable guy and i respect that

but im italian and i learned how to make pizza in italy....pizza in italy is at an advanced stage then in the USA...so anything i say is not to offend..but to share the knowledge of a culture who is more advanced in the creation of pizza then in the USA

That is an interesting opinion. What exactly is advanced? By DOC standards pizza in Italy is made by minimalist standards...........flour, yeast and salt. These are hardly advancements but more of a trial and error perfection over periods of hundreds of years. I totally appreciate the time and dedication It takes to get to this point but I do not think I would call it advanced.

And as far as round pies go.............If you are Italian how can you forget Antico Forno?
Well....okay,then.

pizzapan