Author Topic: Assembly conventions  (Read 873 times)

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
Assembly conventions
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
As someone who often gravitates toward pies with multiple toppings, I was wondering whether in the context of Chicago deep dish there were conventions regarding toppings and where to place them in the pie.  For example, I know to put the cheese down first, then the sausage.  But it seems I've seen several different ways of assembling the pie when adding other toppings and I was wanting to do it in such a way as to promote the least accumulation of moisture.

Mushrooms I always saute prior to assembly because they taste better that way and because doing so drives off most of the moisture.  But what about where to add them and onions and peppers and pepperoni?  I've seen some of you folks put the pepperoni and additional toppings on top of the tomatoes and others bury them below.

Suggestions?

Happy Holidays, everyone.

David

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Assembly conventions
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:28:38 PM »
As someone who often gravitates toward pies with multiple toppings, I was wondering whether in the context of Chicago deep dish there were conventions regarding toppings and where to place them in the pie.  For example, I know to put the cheese down first, then the sausage.  But it seems I've seen several different ways of assembling the pie when adding other toppings and I was wanting to do it in such a way as to promote the least accumulation of moisture.

Mushrooms I always saute prior to assembly because they taste better that way and because doing so drives off most of the moisture.  But what about where to add them and onions and peppers and pepperoni?  I've seen some of you folks put the pepperoni and additional toppings on top of the tomatoes and others bury them below.

Suggestions?

Happy Holidays, everyone.

David

Your best bet with peppers, onions, and mushrooms is on top so that moisture can evaporate a bit.  When it comes to pepperoni, I like to place it on top but Malnati's puts it under the sauce and Gino's East puts in on top.  Gino's used to actually promote the "charred" pepperoni on their pies.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
Re: Assembly conventions
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »
Loo, my manners.  You kindly responded to this and I neglected to thank you.  So, thank you!