Author Topic: First Pie Directly on the Baking Steel  (Read 2897 times)

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: First Pie Directly on the Baking Steel
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
Your post said you went 500°. I used to go 550 but was getting a little burning so lowered to 525-530 but that's real oven related.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 08:46:05 PM »
Your post said you went 500. I used to go 550 but was getting a little burning so lowered to 525-530 but that's real oven related.

Oh my bad. I meant 550. I always have the oven set to the max. I've edited it now.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
Had another go at it. This is the dough with the 1% yeast on day 2. This one had 4 minutes on bake (no convection) and 1.5 minutes on broil. In this dough I used diastatic malt for the first and was really impressed with the color, as well as the taste of the dough. This was probably the best tasting pizza I have made. Still didn't get the oven spring I wanted, but overall it was an above average pie. The crust had a perfect crisp and nice and chewy on the inside. Also got my hands on some Restaurant Depot New York blend cheese which I really liked. Anxious to make another batch of dough with less yeast to see how it turns out.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
First Pie Directly on the Baking Steel
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:57 AM »
One thing to consider doing is find a photo of the pizza you want to make, made with the equipment you have and determine what that person is doing differently from you to get the results you want. Short of that, post the picture  of your ideal pizza so someone can help get you there.

Your uncut pie looks like it has a nice rise. The slice doesn't look like it came from the same pie.  I am no expert at shaping but wonder if your round is dimpled an inch in around the circumference before stretching and them essentially left alone when stretched?  That may give a puffier rim.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:21:49 AM by David Esq. »

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
I think it might be the angle I'm taking the pictures at that makes the cornicione look puffier. When I'm forming the dough, I start pushing it out with my fingers to make a larger disk, then I start dimpling around the edge about a 1/4 to 1/2 in. Then I flip it over and do it on the other side. From there I start stretching it out into its final shape which ends up being 14-15".

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:47 AM »
Wow!  Your pie looks really good. 1%yeast is plenty. I use 1/4 that amount (and mine is 5year old ADY from the freezer). Could it be possible your yeast has gone flat?  If you put some in a cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar does it foam up in 10 minutes?

After you stretch the dough and its on the counter or peel, before you add sauce, can you see bubbles in the dough?  If not, have it sit there a few minutes to let the dough rise a little.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
Wow!  Your pie looks really good. 1%yeast is plenty. I use 1/4 that amount (and mine is 5year old ADY from the freezer). Could it be possible your yeast has gone flat?  If you put some in a cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar does it foam up in 10 minutes?

After you stretch the dough and its on the counter or peel, before you add sauce, can you see bubbles in the dough?  If not, have it sit there a few minutes to let the dough rise a little.

Thanks! The yeast is fairly new, 2 months, but I'll try some in some water as recommended. I'm pretty confident that i am the issue :) We'll see how it goes with less yeast time around.

As for when I stretch, no bubbles. I think I need to be more gentle perhaps. Regardless, the taste is definitely there - really happy with that, and I have gotten a much larger fan club locally.  :chef:

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »
I just looked at the instructions for my oven, and apparently I can set it for an additional 35 degrees hotter than 550. If I were to do this, what would be some things I need to watch out for?

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
Burning on the bottom!  The purpose of the steel is to creat a "Thermodynamic Alchemy" of a higher heat oven. If you can get the heat close to 600°, then you may be able to get a 4 minute bake without the steel or broiler on a regular stone.

Offline JD

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
Burning on the bottom!  The purpose of the steel is to creat a "Thermodynamic Alchemy" of a higher heat oven. If you can get the heat close to 600, then you may be able to get a 4 minute bake without the steel or broiler on a regular stone.

Yes, but he uses 1/4" steel so it may not be as "Alchemy" as you think  ;)

You may not be able to use your broiler though Stavs. Just an excuse for you to do some more testing...

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough! I found it, I found it!!
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:24 PM »
Getting better!
Try 525-530. The spring is affected by heat. Also make sure you don't over do the edge stretch.

As a note, when I turn my broiler on, it takes nearly a minute to fire up so when I say I bake for 3 minutes, I actually turn my broiler on at 2 minutes. Just to take that into account.

I also do 2 stretch and folds on the dough prep which gives a really tender crust but I think it gives more spring too.

dr or anyone else, can you explain to me what the stretch and fold technique is exactly and what is the purpose? I googled it here and nothing came up.

tks
Carl

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 12:22:42 PM »
Carl,

I first learned the stretch and fold technique from Peter Reinhart's book Artisan Breads Every Day.  You stretch your dough in a north/south direction and fold down from the top and up from the bottom.  Then you do the same from the east/west direction, resting at 10 minutes intervals.   Do this approximately 4 times.  The intervals can be longer than 10 minutes. The purpose of this exercise is to build up the gluten structure in your dough so that when you are ready to stretch it for a pizza, it should not tear.  You will get the hang of this through practice.

Some members do it slightly different.  Do a search for the Bertinet technique and you will find a different style but same concept.  I believe Craig uses this technique for his Neapolitan dough.  It works very well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:29:15 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline carl333

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
Carl,

I first learned the stretch and fold technique from Peter Reinhart's book Artisan Breads Every Day.  You stretch your dough in a north/south direction and fold down from the top and up from the bottom.  Then you do the same from the east/west direction, resting at 10 minutes intervals.   Do this approximately 4 times.  The intervals can be longer than 10 minutes. The purpose of this exercise is to build up the gluten structure in your dough so that when you are ready to stretch it for a pizza, it should not tear.  You will get the hang of this through practice.

Some members do it slightly different.  Do a search for the Bertinet technique and you will find a different style but same concept.  I believe Craig uses this technique for his Neapolitan dough.  It works very well.

tks Mary Ann, i'll look it up. I don't recall seeing this in many recipes at least from styles I am interested in. NP, forget about it. I bought a batch of 00 flour because of a recipe I was trying to dup. (not on here) After finding this site, it ain't gonna attain great results with my home oven. Now need to find some other use for my 00 flour b4 it goes.
Carl

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
...can you explain to me what the stretch and fold technique is exactly and what is the purpose?

A simple technique to build gluten structure.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »
tks Mary Ann, i'll look it up. I don't recall seeing this in many recipes at least from styles I am interested in. NP, forget about it. I bought a batch of 00 flour because of a recipe I was trying to dup. (not on here) After finding this site, it ain't gonna attain great results with my home oven. Now need to find some other use for my 00 flour b4 it goes.

Carl,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.  You can use the Bertinet technique with other doughs besides Neapolitan.  I use it this method more than Peter Reinhart's method.  I use it for all of my pizza doughs and bread doughs.

As far as the 00 flour goes, you can use it in combination with other flours for bread and pizza.  Yesterday, I made a bread combining it with remilled semolina flour for a 69% HR bread.  You can also use it to make homemade pasta.
Mary Ann

Offline carl333

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »
Carl,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.  You can use the Bertinet technique with other doughs besides Neapolitan.  I use it this method more than Peter Reinhart's method.  I use it for all of my pizza doughs and bread doughs.

As far as the 00 flour goes, you can use it in combination with other flours for bread and pizza.  Yesterday, I made a bread combining it with remilled semolina flour for a 69% HR bread.  You can also use it to make homemade pasta.

NP Mary Ann. When you mentioned Steve uses it for his NP dough, I thought this technique was solely used for a NP style dough and not of much or any benefit to other styles. I should not have assumed this. tks
Carl

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
Yes, but he uses 1/4" steel so it may not be as "Alchemy" as you think  ;)

You may not be able to use your broiler though Stavs. Just an excuse for you to do some more testing...

More testing...oh no. This means I will have to eat more pizza. I guess I will tough it out....lol. I'm looking at getting a 1/2 steel within the next few months. We'll see how my tests turn out. I have a new batch of dough that I made last night with less yeast, so we shall see. Definitely appreciate everyones help! Great group of people here for sure.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 07:48:28 PM »
Oh here's tonight's pie. Used less yeast, bulk fermented for 24 hours, re-balled into 3 balls. Was able to get the oven up to 585 by adjusting the oven. Bake was 4 minutes and 2 on broil. Crust had a great flavor and I was lucky enough to get my Grande today which was a nice addition.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
Oh here's tonight's pie. Used less yeast, bulk fermented for 24 hours, re-balled into 3 balls. Was able to get the oven up to 585 by adjusting the oven. Bake was 4 minutes and 2 on broil. Crust had a great flavor and I was lucky enough to get my Grande today which was a nice addition.
Now that's pizza...I can almost taste that puppy.   :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »
Now that's pizza...I can almost taste that puppy.   :drool:

Like that huh? :) It was really tasty. Crust had great flavor and the Grande was certainly a nice addition. After the Grande is gone (10lbs), I think I will just stick with the Restaurant Depot Supremo Italiano. I think its pretty much just as good, but Grande is a hair better.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »
Nice work, Steve.  You're really getting your pies dialed in.  The stretching thing takes lots of practice but I know you will get it.

I have one comment, but not a negative, try using less cheese on your NY pies.  Craig and Deb suggested it to me a few weeks ago and that little change took the enjoyment factor of the pizza in my household to a whole other level.  I've always had a heavy hand with cheese.  Why not?  Cheese is awesome, right?  It really lets the flavor of your cheese shine through IMO when you don't overdo it.  And besides, when you use less, that sweet bag of Grande you just scored will last a little longer  ;D

I'm so happy that they suggested it. 

Keep on baking, Stavs and enjoying the benefits!
Mary Ann

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:30 PM »
Nice work, Steve.  You're really getting your pies dialed in.  The stretching thing takes lots of practice but I know you will get it.

I have one comment, but not a negative, try using less cheese on your NY pies.  Craig and Deb suggested it to me a few weeks ago and that little change took the enjoyment factor of the pizza in my household to a whole other level.  I've always had a heavy hand with cheese.  Why not?  Cheese is awesome, right?  It really lets the flavor of your cheese shine through IMO when you don't overdo it.  And besides, when you use less, that sweet bag of Grande you just scored will last a little longer  ;D

I'm so happy that they suggested it. 

Keep on baking, Stavs and enjoying the benefits!

Thanks Mary Ann! I tried to use less cheese this time, but I still overdid it. I need to start looking at uncooked pies to get an idea of how much to put on. When I look at the pizza when I'm dressing I get worried that it wont be enough! Personally I hate extra cheese on my pizza and it kills me when I see it all that white. I want the nice marbled whitish/orange/brown color. When it comes to sauce, the spoodle has really helped me with portion control. That was definitely one of my better investments.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »
If remember tomorrow, I'll try to snap a pic of my unbaked pie to give you an idea of how much cheese to use.  And I'll post it to my thread tomorrow night after dinner.  I'm currently making 17" pies and I don't measure or portion out a certain amount of cheese per pie.  But I think some members do that...

I think JD does it here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,34538.msg357963.html#msg357963
Mary Ann

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks that would be great! Yeah, I'm more of a visual guy then a measuring guy for the cheese. Even if someone says use 8 oz of cheese, you still have to spread it out properly.

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
Last nights pie. This batch was using 1% DMP (Hoosier Farms). Tasted great and was crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. I tried to lighten up on the cheese, but I still put too much....one day I will get that right.

pizzapan