Author Topic: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza  (Read 128630 times)

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
Re: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
Nice thread. A lot here to absorb.  Quick question.  There isn't much mention of the mixing process after the poolish is added with the other ingredients. Is it safe to just follow this recipe: http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_nystyle.php for those steps?

I have bakers pride M02t oven.  What temp and how long would you recommend?  Can't wait to try this and compare it to JerryMac's recipe - which I have to admit is easier since one can do it all in one day.

Also, is post 149 still the most accurate recipe for me to use for the preferrment tom lehmann recipe?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:14:40 PM by briterian »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
briterian,

Thanks for saying you think this is a nice thread.  As for the mixing instructions I usually use they are about the same as the link you gave, but I only mix the dough in my 20 quart Hobart Mixer until my dough is fully incorporated. The dough will look like this link.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90273.html#msg90273 ( I can't get this link to work )  It is reply 228 that shows the dough that was just mixed. The mixing time is about 4 to 5 minutes.  This is only for making the test 5 dough balls I have been doing.  I haven’t tried a bigger batch as of this date.  I am waiting to get my Hatco Merchandiser to market and then I might know more about making a bigger batch of 15 lbs. 

Peter gave this formula for a single dough ball at this link for the poolish, preferment and final dough.  You could scale this up if you want.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90226.html#msg90226

This is the formula for the test 5 dough balls. I am not sure what you regularly use as a thickness factor.
5 dough balls at Thickness Factor of 0.08932 at hydration of 61%.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg88687.html#msg88687

I have a Baker’s Pride GP-61 double stack counter top oven that is propane gas.  I keep the temperature between 525-550 degrees F.

If I have made mistakes in answering your questions, I will let Peter straighten out anything I might have missed.  This formula for the poolish, 3 days ferment of the poolish, and final formula were Peter's idea and he did the math calculations and instructions for mixing of the preferment poolish and final dough mix.

I have never tried Jerry Mac's recipe, so I don’t have anything to compare his recipe to this one.  I will have to try his recipe someday.

I find this dough nice and soft, easy to work with, and in my opinion has a better taste to the crust than a regular Lehmann dough. 

Any other questions..just ask.

Norma
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:06:05 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
These are two of the dough balls from the final mix on Monday from the preferment with the poolish.  They have been in my refrigerator since then.  I was going to make one pizza out of one of them today, but decided since they didn’t look like either one of them was over fermenting, I would just let them cold ferment some more.  I did put three dough balls in the freezer today.  All five dough balls looked the same. 
I turned the one bowl over and there are some small bubbles on the bottom of the dough ball.
I also bought some Diastatic Malt Powder. 
I didn’t get my Hatco Merchandiser over to market as of today.  There is still much snow that needs to be shoveled around the back.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »
Peter,

If you have time before Monday could you advise me on what amount of Diastatic Malt Powder I could try on a test batch of 5 dough balls. The the Diastactic Malt Powder would be added in the final dough on Monday.  I have read what Didier Rosada recommends, but am not sure if I should start at the high end or low end.  I just want to see if this makes a difference since I am experimenting and this coming week they are calling for more snow.

During the pre-fermentation time, the yeast uses up a lot of the flour’s sugar, especially during long fermentation time at room temperature. When this portion of flour is added back to the final dough, the overall quantity of fermentiscibles sugar is lower than what is usually available for the yeast in a straight dough method. As a result of the lower availability of sugar, it is difficult to obtain satisfactory coloration of the crust. This defect is sometimes noticeable when a high percentage of overnight poolish or sponge is used in the final dough or when the enzyme activity of the flour is on the low side. To troubleshoot this problem, 0.5% to 1% of diastatic malt (based on the total flour) can be added to the final dough.

Thanks,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
Norma,

I assume that you are using the Lehmann poolish dough formulation at Reply 149 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg88687.html#msg88687. If so, there may not be a great need to use diastatic malt, or much of it, since your poolish has not been subjected to overly long periods of room temperature fermentation, especially at warm room temperatures. In my last experiment, I used a lot of diastatic malt. That was intentional since I wanted its possible effects to be dramatic. In the past where I have used more modest amounts, I could not readily see the effects of the use of the diastatic malt. I am away from home and don't have access to my notes but my recollection id that I used the diastatic malt at around 1.25% of the total formula flour. That turned out to produce dramatic effects, in the form of a "gummy" like crust in parts. That is one of the known effects of using too much diastatic malt. However, it did not adversely affect the eating experience. In fact, some people actually like that gummy effect. Now I know how to tell people how to achieve that effect if they desire it :-D.

In my case, I used the Bob's Red Mill diastatic malt. The conversion data for that brand of diastatic malt was originally used in the expanded dough calculating tool. However, as I previously noted elsewhere on the forum, the conversion data in that tool is off by a factor of ten on the low side (due to an error in entering the conversion data in the tool). However, the conversion data for the Bob's Red Mill diastatic malt is one teaspoon is 0.0881834 ounces. That is based on one teaspoon weighing 2.5 grams (30 grams for 1/4 cup). I did a quick check at the King Arthur website at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-16-oz and the conversion data shown there is one teaspoon weighs 2 grams. So, the conversion data is one teaspoon weighs 0.0705467 ounce.

In your case, if you want to experiment with the King Arthur diastatic malt, I think I would try 0.75%. For the dough formulation in Reply 149 referenced above, with 54.7 ounces of KASL, that would be 0.41025 ounces of diastatic malt, or 5.81 teaspoons, or a bit more than 5 3/4 t. For the sake of simplicity at this point, I would just add that amount to your regular Lehmann poolish dough formulation (as part of the final mix) without trying to adjust the amounts of the rest of the ingredients, as you would if you used the expanded dough calculating tool. Adding about 0.41 ounces of diastatic malt to a dough batch weighing 5.61 pounds isn't going to have much effect on the weights of the other ingredients.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
Peter,

Yes, I am using the Lehmann poolish dough formulation at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg88687.html#msg88687
I will experiment with this batch of the Lehmann poolish dough formulation to see if there are any different results, until I get the Hatco Merchandiser to market.  I will use the 0.41025 ounces of diastatic malt and add to the final mix.

Good to hear with your experiment of using higher diastatic malt you can tell someone how to get that gummy effect if they want it.  ::)  Wonder who wants those results.  ???

Thanks for your advise and telling me I probably wouldn’t need to add the diastatic malt.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
I made a pizza tonight out of the Lehmann preferment poolish dough that was made Monday.  I made this pizza at home.  This dough was left in the fridge since Monday and didn’t look like it was over fermenting.  I left the dough warm up for 2 hours at 70 degrees F.  After that amount of time the dough was starting to develop bubbles.  I compared the dough left out for 2 hours to the dough still cold fermenting in the fridge.  The dough still cold fermenting in the fridge still doesn’t show signs of over fermenting.  The dough still was easy to open, but my peel I have here at home isn’t the same size I have at market.
I dressed the pie with cheese and pepperoni.  The pie was baked in my home oven.  The temperature of my home oven doesn't go much over 450 degrees F.  I can see a difference in how my home oven bakes compared to my oven at market.
I can't compare the taste of the crust to the other poolish preferments of Lehmann doughs I have tried in the past, because I have a cold and can't taste anything.   :-\  Wish I could because this dough was cold fermented 3 days longer.
At least I am learning to make more pies here at home.  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:00:05 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2010, 08:27:28 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
TXCraig; couldn't your oven spring also be affected by the heat you're utilizing? I know you have that BBQ mod, so I'd like to see the crumb in a normal oven at 550 if you get a chance.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
Peter,

Wow..you really outdid yourself with this formula with the preferment with poolish for the Lehmann dough.  Superb in my opinion!!  :)

I made a pizza tonight using the dough ball that was leftover.  It looked like it was starting to overferment this afternoon and had a big bubble as seen in the picture.  I decided to use the dough today.  I decided to do something different with this dough ball.  I used my 12" deep dish pan after I opened the dough.  There still wasn’t any problems with opening the dough, but I didn't let it out of the refrigerator more than a half hour.  The pan with oiled with Crisco. 
The dressing on this pie was different.  I used cherry tomatoes, Panko seasoned bread crumbs, 2 garlic cloves, 1 shallot, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, fresh ground black pepper and sea salt.  They were then mixed together and put on the middle rack of the oven and broiled for about 6 minutes.  The dough was then dressed with olive oil, fresh pesto, mozzarella, and the mixture that was broiled.
The pizza was baked in the deep-dish pan on the middle rack of the oven until the bottom looked finished.
I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted the pie.  It was more like a Sicilian, but of all the Sicilians I have tried before, this was the best.  The bottom crust had some crunch and the pie was so easy to chew.  I really liked the taste of this pie better than all the Sicilian recipes I had tried before.  Some of the Sicilian’s I had made were more airy, but this pie was much more light and I really like that..

I don’t know if I would get the same results if I tried to do this at market, but will have to try, maybe by putting a screen on the bottom of the deep-dish pan before putting on the hearth.

Thanks again,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
rest of pictures

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
Norma,

How old was the dough ball that you used with your deep dish pan? About six days??

The Lehmann NY style dough formulation is actually quite versatile and can be modified for other types of pizzas. For example, I once modified the Lehmann recipe just slightly to make a Greek/pub style pizza. If you use a greater thickness factor along the lines of a standard Sicilian style pizza, maybe something in the range of 0.125-0.14, you might be able to come up with a pretty good Sicilian style pizza. Of course, that would mean having to re-do the numbers. Or you can use the same dough formulation as you have been using but just calculate the amount of dough to fit your 12" deep-dish pan and carve that amount out of your total dough batch. Obviously, you have better control of batch size by re-doing the numbers to fit your precise application.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
Norma,

I have set forth below the dough formulation I used recently to make a poolish-based Lehmann dough formulation with the diastatic malt. This is the formulation on which I commented earlier at Replies 229, 231 and 237, starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90277.html#msg90277.

Normally, I don’t change more than one variable at a time. However, on occasion I will do so either for fun or to test my analytical skills. For the latest experiment, I was trying to test several things. First, I wanted to try a “cool” poolish that prefermented at the room temperature then prevailing in my kitchen (around 65 degrees F). That meant not using any temperature control, as one might get from using a proofing box or a unit such as the ThermoKool MR-132. Second, I wanted to subject as much of the flour as possible to the prefermentation process while keeping the hydration of the preferment at 100%. So, for this particular test, I used all of the formula water and an equal weight of flour. Third, I wanted to try using some diastatic malt. I intentionally used more diastatic malt than normally recommended to test what might be a suitable outer limit of use for that ingredient. In my case, I used 1.30% of the total formula flour. Finally, I used a blend of King Arthur bread flour and vital wheat gluten (Hogsdon Mill brand) to achieve a total protein content equal to that of a high-gluten flour. I used the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to do the apportionment between the KABF and the VWG.

The dough formulation I ended up with, for a single 14” pizza and using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, is as follows:

Total Lehmann NY Style Dough Formulation
KABF/VWG Flour Blend* (100%):
Water (61%):
IDY (0.40%):
Salt (1.75%):
Olive Oil (1%):
Diastatic Malt Powder** (1.30%):
Total (165.45%):
236.76 g  |  8.35 oz | 0.52 lbs
144.43 g  |  5.09 oz | 0.32 lbs
0.95 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.31 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
4.14 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.74 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
2.37 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.53 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
3.08 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.25 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
391.73 g | 13.82 oz | 0.86 lbs | TF = 0.08976
* The KABF/VWG Flour Blend comprises 230.17 grams (8.12 oz.) KABF and 6.59 grams (0.23 oz.) Hodgson Mill VWG (approx. 2 Ľ t.)
** Diastatic malt volume measurements increased by ten times the dough calculating tool values (to correct for an error in the tool)
Note: Nominal thickness factor = 0.088; dough is for a single 14” pizza; bowl residue compensation = 2%

Preferment (Poolish)
KABF/VWG Flour Blend (100%):
Water (100%):
IDY (0.30%):
Total (200.3%):
144.3 g  |  5.09 oz | 0.32 lbs
144.3 g  |  5.09 oz | 0.32 lbs
0.43 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.14 tsp | 0.05 tbsp
289.04 g | 10.2 oz | 0.64 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Poolish represents about 73.8% of the total dough weight and utilizes all of the total formula water; 0.14 t. IDY is 1/8 t. + a bit more than 1/64 t. (the “pinch” mini-measuring spoon)

Final Mix
Poolish (from above):                                       289.04 g | 10.2 oz | 0.64 lbs
Remaining KABF/VWG Flour Blend (100%):
Remaining IDY (0.45184%):
Total Formula Salt (4.60122%):
Total Formula Olive Oil (2.45398%):
Total Formula Diastatic Malt Powder (3.37423%):
92.42 g  |  3.26 oz | 0.2 lbs
0.42 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.14 tsp | 0.05 tbsp
4.25 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.76 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
2.27 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
3.12 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.25 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
Total Dough Batch Weight:                               391.73 g | 13.82 oz | 0.86 lbs
Note: 0.14 t. IDY is 1/8 t. + a bit more than 1/64 t.

I prepared the poolish preferment in a bowl using a sturdy wooden spoon. In preparing the poolish preferment, I used water at a room temperature of around 105 degrees F. The finished poolish temperature was 82.4 degrees F. The poolish prefermented at a room temperature of around 65 degrees F for about 4 hours. As previously noted in an earlier post in this thread, there was little noticeable bubbling. By the time the poolish was placed into the refrigerator, the poolish temperature had dropped from 82.4 degrees F to about 66.9 degrees F. The poolish remained in the refrigerator for 71 hours, or one hour shy of three days. For that one hour, I let the poolish warm up at a room temperature of 66 degrees F. I then completed the Final Mix by combining the poolish with the remaining flour, the remaining IDY, and the total formula salt, oil and diastatic malt. I used the flat beater attachment of my basic KitchenAid stand mixer, at stir speed, to bring the ingredients together initially, for about a minute or two, and then switched to the C-hook for a knead, at speed 2, for about 5 minutes. I placed two poppy seeds on the dough ball, which I had lightly oiled, and placed the dough in the refrigerator. The poppy seed method is described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6914.0.html.

The dough remained in the refrigerator for about 47 hours. At that point, the increased spacing of the poppy seeds suggested a doubling of the dough, but the dough was still firm to the touch and looked like it could have gone a few days more, possibly even several days more. After a roughly two-hour warm-up at a room temperature of about 65 degrees F, I opened up the dough ball to form a 14” skin. The dough exhibited some elasticity but the skin was very robust without any tendency to form thin spots or webbing. With periodic rests of 30 seconds or so, I was able to form the skin to 14” with little difficulty. Clearly, the large quantity of poolish relative to the total dough weight (about 73.8%) contributed significantly to the strength of the dough. This leads me to believe that using a smaller quantity of poolish is perhaps a better approach to achieve a better balance between elasticity and extensibility. Extending the fermentation time might also help in achieving this outcome. After dressing the skin in a basic pepperoni style, I baked the pizza on a pizza stone that had been placed on the lowest oven rack position and preheated for about an hour at around 525 degrees F. The total bake time was around 7-8 minutes.

The photos below show the finished pizza. As noted previously in an earlier post in this thread, the crust flavor was good but not great. That leads me to believe that a “cool” poolish is not the optimum method for achieving the best crust flavors. The finished crust and crumb also had doughy or “gummy” sections. That did not detract from the eating experience but, at 1.30% diastatic malt, one might reasonably expect that result since that is a well-known outcome when using high levels of that ingredient. In my case, especially with the cool poolish approach and with the small amount of IDY, followed by further cold fermentation, it is possible that no diastatic malt was needed. As noted earlier in this thread, the crust color was more golden than anything else, with a bread-like appearance.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #253 on: February 22, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »
A couple more photos....

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: February 22, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
Peter,

The dough ball I used in reply 249 & 250 was six days old.  I can now see how versatile the dough with the preferment is after trying this recent pie in the deep-dish pan.  I don’t know if the longer fermentation time had anything to do with the taste, but I really enjoyed this pie.  The crust in my opinion was easy to chew, lighter, how more crust flavor, and was more enjoyable than the other Sicilian pies I had made with or without the natural starters.  I will have to try the dough at market and see if that oven bakes this dough the same in a Sicilian Pie.  I do want to be able to sell some kind of Sicilian Pie at market at some point.  Hopefully this works out at market. 

Was your Greek/pub style pizza a Sicilian pizza?  If so, how did you think the Lehmann dough worked out for use in this style of pizza?

The dough formulation for the poolish-based Lehmann dough you tried sure sounds complicated to be able to figure out.  If anyone wants to try out your formula, you surely set-forth  good directions.  It sure would be great to have your analytical skills in trying out new ideas.

It is interesting to hear you thought by using a smaller quantity of poolish is perhaps a better approach to achieve a better balance between elasticity and extensibility.  I also wonder about longer fermentation times after letting this recent dough ball ferment for longer.  I didn’t expect this recent dough ball to last that long before starting to overferment.

When you are talking about probably not needing the diastatic malt because of the cool poolish approach and with the small amount of IDY, followed by the cold fermentation, I just wanted to let you know I did add the diastatic malt today for the 5 test dough balls.  I will see what kind of results there are tomorrow.

If you now think a cool poolish doesn’t help you to achieve the best crust flavors, what do you have in mind to try next?

The pictures of your pizza look very tasty.  :)  Good to hear how you went about you most recent experiment.

Thanks for going over your experiment and also in helping with this preferment for the Lehmann dough,

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »
Norma,

There is no reason why a poolish-based dough can't have a long useful life. One of our members, MWTC, described poolish-based doughs/pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4625.0.html and was able to achieve dough lives of 12 days or more, so, I knew that long dough lives were possible using a poolish-based dough. What was less certain is whether such a method might be scaled up to commercial dough batch sizes. That might also be an issue for you once you decide to scale up your five dough ball formulation to a much larger dough batch size.

The Greek/pub style pizza that I made using a modified Lehmann NY style dough formulation is described at Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg27482.html#msg27482. I can see that that pizza has some characteristics of the Sicilian style but it is never referred to as a Sicilian style. The Greek style of pizza tends to be a Northeast U.S. pizza.

I don't see any reason why you can't use your poolish-based Lehmann dough to make a rectangular/square Sicilian-style pizza. That experience might also tell you whether you should consider modifying the Lehmann dough formulation to be more like a Sicilian dough.

I assume that your use of the diastatic malt was in accordance with Reply 244 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90586.html#msg90586. If so, it will be interesting to hear of your results.

The diastatic malt experiment I posted perhaps seems more complicated than it really is. There are just a lot of moving parts math-wise. I elaborated on the various steps mainly to instruct people on what they might expect if they do similar things as I did. That might lead them to take measures that will produce better results. If I were to continue to use the poolish method, I think I would use my proofing box or MR-132 unit to better control the temperatures during the prefermentation period. That would be for a winter dough. In the summer, I could preferment the poolish at room temperature. I think I would also scale back the amount of poolish.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: February 22, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the link to MWTC’s experiments with the poolish. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4625.0.html   It is interesting to hear how MWTC got the information from Bev Collins, who worked in the test kitchens for Domino's Pizza.  Do you think MWTC achieved this longer fermentation because of using some sugar in the final mix and also from achieving a low (70 degree F), final dough temperature? It is also interesting to read how Bev Collins believed slower fermentation and cooler temperature would create better flavors. Fifteen days fermentation is a long time.

I also see the concern when stepping up the batch for larger quantities.  I will have to address that after I get to try the Hatco Merchandiser. 

Your Greek/pub style pizza thread was interesting.  I have never tried that style of pizza, so I can’t compare it to the poolish preferment.  The Greek/pub style pizza does sound very good and I see you obtained great results when trying this pie. .http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.0.html

You are correct in the link in reply 244.  I used the amount of 0.41025 ounces of diastatic malt in the 5 test dough balls made, today. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90586.html#msg90586

Thanks for the links and additional information,

Norma
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:18:46 PM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
Norma,

I have studied the MWTC thread several times at different stages of my poolish "education" and have yet to nail down how and why MWTC got the results he did. I could understand the results from the standpoint of keeping things cold and achieving a low finished dough temperature but the sugar part hasn't computed. As you know, I have made doughs that have lasted for up to a few weeks (in the refrigerator) without any sugar added to the dough so in my mind that minimizes the impact of sugar on dough longevity. Sometimes the answers come to me when I actually try out a dough and can see for myself what is going on. I haven't done that with MWTC's recipe.

I believe that Bev Collins's suggestion to cool things down to get more finished crust flavor was not anything new to most of the members of this forum who practice long cold fermentations. However, since she worked for Domino's, which had to be able to supply dough balls to their stores twice a week, she undoubtedly was fully aware of the ways to keep the dough balls cool so that they wouldn't overferment before the next delivery.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
I tried the Sicilian style with the poolish preferment for the Lehmann dough.  I first spread the dough with my fingers in a 12" deep-dish pan.  I did oil the pan with olive oil, before spreading.  I topped the dough with more olive oil.  I covered the pan with saran wrap and let the pan sit about an hour and a half.

This pies was dressed with some oregano, Italian seasoning, mozzarella and then sauce.

The pie was baked in the deep-dish that was placed on a screen.

I think this dough works out well for a Sicilian Pie.  I will have to some more experimenting with this.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »
I also tried out the other four remaining test dough balls that had 0.41025 ounces of diastatic malt added.  These are the pictures of the finished pizzas with the added diastatic malt with the poolish preferment for the Lehmann dough.
The other dough ball was used for the Sicilian style pizza. 

Norma