Author Topic: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza  (Read 132132 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza
« Reply #880 on: July 05, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #881 on: July 11, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
Some of preferment Lehmann dough balls made today, that are in the bottom of my pizza prep refrigerator, waiting to be made into pizzas tomorrow.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #882 on: July 13, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »
What is another day without some problems.  :-D  My pizza prep refrigerator always keeps my dough really cold, but for some reason, which I still donít know, the pizza prep refrigerator was at 50 degrees F, when I arrived at market yesterday.  The temperature control knob is way in back of where I store the dough balls and is hard to turn, so I donít have any idea if that knob could have been moved or not.  I sure didnít move it.  I removed the dough balls and trays of dough and fiddled with the knob.  In about an hour the temperature of the pizza prep fridge was back to normal, but I was concerned how my dough balls were going to perform during the day, because they usually do expand some during the course of a day.  It was hot at market yesterday, so I knew I couldnít let my dough balls warm-up too long, but with the problems of the dough already fermented a lot, it had me wondering what would happen.  The dough was very sticky when taking it out of the plastic bags, but when floured, the dough balls opened up easily.  I had to break big bubbles on almost every dough ball before I opened them.  I only took one picture of the second pie that came out of the oven, but other pizzas made yesterday did get browner on the rim.  The pictures I wanted to post are what the dough balls looked like in the morning when I arrived at market, how a dough ball looked later in the day, and two pictures of what the inside of the dough balls looked like when the bubble was popped.  The gluten matrix can be seen on the pictures of the popped bubbles

Norma

Offline lennyk

« Reply #883 on: July 13, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
Hi Norma,

Do you remove the dough from the bags whilst they are still frozen/hard
if not doesn't it make a mess to come out of the bag when soft and all bubbled up ?

L

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #884 on: July 13, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
Hi Norma,

Do you remove the dough from the bags whilst they are still frozen/hard
if not doesn't it make a mess to come out of the bag when soft and all bubbled up ?

L

lennyk,

I donít remove the dough balls from the plastic bags when they are frozen.  If I have any leftover dough balls from one week, I do freeze them, but put them in the refrigerator for one day to defrost.  Last week I ran out of dough balls.  This week since it was so hot in our area, I had leftover dough balls.  It is always a balancing act, to know how many dough balls to make, especially since I start my preferment Lehmann dough on a Friday.  I can watch the weather, but that always isnít a good predictor of what will happen with the weather by Tuesday.  After my dough balls were almost overblown yesterday, I was thinking about what to do with the ones that were left.  I donít know what will happen, but I did reball them at the end of the market day, and put them back in the plastic bags to be frozen.  I donít know how those dough balls will behave next week, after they are defrosted. 

Normally my dough balls that are in plastic bags, are easy to come out of the plastic bags, whether fresh or frozen.  I do have to watch how long I let the dough balls warm-up when the temperatures are as hot as yesterday were.  Since the preferment Lehmann dough isnít that high of a hydration dough, usually there arenít the problems I had yesterday. 

If I didnít answer any of your questions, let me know, and I will try to explain.

Norma

Offline lennyk

« Reply #885 on: July 13, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »
thanks, I'm gonna try using bags and see how it goes removing.

L

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #886 on: July 13, 2011, 10:27:36 PM »
thanks, I'm gonna try using bags and see how it goes removing.

L

lennyk,

I started using plastic bags at the advice of Tom Lehmann at this post on PMQTT  http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7481&p=50613&hilit=+plastic+bags#p50613 because I didnít have room at market to store all my dough balls.

When I make test dough balls, I do use plastic containers.

Best of luck using the plastic bags.  :) I think you will be okay as long as the doughs arenít really high hydration doughs.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #887 on: July 18, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
I left the preferment part of the Lehmann dough only ferment for 25 minutes in the Hatco Unit at 110 degrees F Friday.  The preferment only bubbled a tiny bit, before it put it into the deli case.  This is what the preferment looked like today, before I incorporated it into the final dough.  The heat conditions at market today werenít the best for making dough.  I did test my pizza prep refrigerator and it seemed fine today.  

Pictures of preferment today and temperature at market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #888 on: July 20, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
My pizza prep fridge did keep the lower temperature, from Monday to Tuesday this week.  I still am not sure what happened that my pizza prep fridge acted up last week, but think it might have been my pizza prep fridge was pushed against the wall. The vent where the heat goes out is in the back. The wheels are locked on the pizza prep fridge, but the fridge can be pushed back, without too much effort.  

It seems like the 25 minute at 110 degrees preferment heat-up on Friday, in the Hatco Unit, is going well for the preferment.  There was no trouble opening the dough balls yesterday.  

Picture of dough balls in the pizza prep fridge yesterday, a few pizzas make yesterday, two regular preferment Lehmann dough pizzas made with reballed overfermented dough from last week that was frozen, and another Greek Pizza made with the preferment Lehmann dough.  I would like to add more cheese on the Greek pizzas, but since cheese is becoming more expensive, I only add what I think I need.  The dough for the Greek pizzas was really rolled out with a heavy rolling pin and docked heavily, but as can be seen the rim still want to rise.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #889 on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:03 AM »
First picture is of pizza made with preferment Lehmann dough made Monday, and the other two pictures are of the overfermented dough balls there were reballed and then frozen until Monday.  

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #890 on: July 20, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
Greek pizza made with the preferment Lehmann dough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #891 on: July 22, 2011, 04:37:29 PM »
If anyone is interested in what the preferment looks like after the 25 minutes at 110 degrees F (in the Hatco Unit). before it goes into the deli case for 3 days, this is what it looks like.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #892 on: July 27, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
I probably wonít be posting on this thread for awhile.  I was trying to see if I could get consistent results with the prefement in my Hatco Unit, and trying to understand why sometimes my dough balls were harder to open than other times.  The method I have been using, to let the preferment ferment for about 25 minutes at 110 degrees F, with minimal development, seems to be working well.  Even this week when my deli case was higher in temperature,  than it should have been, (because frost and ice forming on my top coils) the preferment when incorporated into the final dough did work well.  The preferment on Monday was really bubbly, but there wasnít any liquid on the bottom.  All my dough balls were easy to open yesterday.  I donít know if I solved the mystery of why some of the doughs made the doughs balls hard to open, but right now it seems like the problem is solved, after trying the same experiment for a few weeks. 

Pictures of a few pizzas from yesterday.

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #893 on: July 27, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
Your pies STILL sure look wonderful Norma! I enjoyed reading about your progress over time.
 :)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #894 on: July 27, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
Your pies STILL sure look wonderful Norma! I enjoyed reading about your progress over time.
 :)

Bill,

Thanks for your kind words!  :)  When you have many dough balls to deal with, and the temperatures aren't even the same or close to the same week after week, there can be challenges.  Then to try a make a preferment on a Friday and incorporate it into the final dough on Monday adds more challenges.  At least for now, my dough is behaving.   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #895 on: July 30, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
Well, I guess I lied.  I said I wouldnít be posting on this thread for a little while. I decided to use a frozen preferment Lehmann dough to try out in my new BBQ grill set-up.  I took the frozen dough ball out of the freezer and then cut off part of the dough ball, when it was partly defrosted.  If anyone is interested, the pictures and what I posted are at Reply http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11133.msg148289.html#msg148289  and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11133.msg148294.html#msg148294  I called that dough my mystery dough, but it really was a last minute decision to use a frozen preferment Lehmann dough ball for my BBQ grill.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:15:37 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #896 on: August 01, 2011, 08:34:17 AM »
Norma,

Pictures of preferment Lehmann dough made on my BBQ grill.

Norma

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:25:21 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #897 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
This post is just to explain how aggressively the preferment Lehmann dough is rolled out with my heavy rolling pin, and also aggressively docked to be able to make a Greek pizza.  I start out by rolling the dough (with my heavy rolling pin), then aggressively docking the dough on both sides (many times), to be able to make a pizza from this dough.  The dough still rises in the pan, so the preferment Lehmann dough must be pretty strong to be able to still rise, in a steel pan.  It amazes me that the preferment Lehmann dough can be abused so much, and still make a decent pie.

This Greek pizza was dressed with herb infused oil, tomato sauce, 3 kinds of white cheddars, mozzarella, and spinach.  The edges of the Greek pizza do get nice and crunchy from the cheeses melting down on the sides of the steel pan.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #899 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
Norma

pizzapan