Author Topic: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza  (Read 130586 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza
« Reply #960 on: September 14, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #961 on: September 19, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
I had a member that did PM me about how my Bakerís Pride deck oven is made and works.  I did send the member this document and it shows on page 10 how the GP-61 Bakerís Pride deck oven is put together. http://www.bakerspride.com/specs/Instal%20ops/Counter%20Top/GP-51-61%20Inst-Op%20U4128A%201-08.pdf
The member asked me if I could take some pictures of where the burner is, how the side channels go up to let hot air over the pizzas and also the decks.  I said I couldnít take pictures of the burner, because it is behind a lot of panels and if I took it apart, I never would get it back together again.  I told the member I would take pictures of the Bakerís Pride deck oven today, when the oven was cold.  If someone else can explain how this deck oven works by the diagrams, they can explain.  I sure donít know how it works, I just bake pizzas in the oven.  :-D

If anyone wants any explanations on what is what, just ask.  I am posting it under this thread, because this is where I used this deck oven to make the preferment Lehmann pizzas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #963 on: September 19, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #964 on: September 21, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »
For anyone that is interested in what the Bakerís Pride GP-61 propane deck oven looks like right after the pilot is lit, and the gas is turned on for the burners to light, these pictures were taken yesterday morning, right after the oven was turned on.  There is some kind  of round orifices that go into a long row of orifices that all burn.  The bright glowing yellow light is the pilot light.  The blue flames are the burners.  I couldnít really take a pictures of the how the burners at lit in the back of the oven.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #965 on: September 21, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
These are three pictures of a Greek pie I made yesterday morning using 1 teaspoon of manteca to oil the steel pan.  The bottom crust did get crunchy from only 1 teaspoon of manteca added, and there was even manteca left on the steel pan after the bake. Even the part of the bottom crust that doesnít look as brown as the other side was still crunchy.  It now makes me wonder if any manteca needs to be added since my steel pan is getting more seasoned.  Another thing that makes me wonder is why the mild white cheddar I bought in a 43 lb. block last week, doesnít brown the edges of the Greek pie as well as other cheeses do.  I thought I applied enough of the mild white cheddar, but I donít know the answer to why there isnít any crusty edges.  I made other Greek style pizzas yesterday, and noticed the same thing.  When a friend of mine (Randy) tasted the mild white cheddar, just eating it regularly and not baked on a pie, he said the mild white cheddar does taste like Longhorn cheese, but it doesnít have any holes in the cheese.  Steve and I then tasted the mild white cheddar and both thought the same thing.  I couldnít really describe before how the mild white cheddar tasted. 

This Greek style pizza was dressed with garlic herb infused olive oil, my regular sauce, spinach, mild white cheddar, and 3 tomatoes from my garlic that were cut.  The tomatoes were Green Zebra, small yellow pears, and a San Marzano.

Maybe next week if I have time to mix the other Greek formula MA #2 and Steve brings his 10" steel pans to market, I will compare how a Greek formula MA #2 compares with a preferment Lehmann dough Greek pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #966 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »
If anyone is interested, these are two videos.  One video is of my 20 qt. Hobart mixer, mixing without any dough in the mixer.  I try to watch how the Hobart mixer mixes my preferment Lehmann dough each week, and then try to get my Kitchen Aid Profession HD mixer to mix the dough about the same way.  The second video is of my Kitchen Aid Professional HD mixer without any dough in the mixer either.  The 20 qt. Hobart mixer was only on speed 1 the whole time the video was taken.  When turning on my Kitchen Aid Professional HD, I accidentally turned it on a faster speed than I wanted to at first.  The other speeds were one and two.  I havenít tried to count the revolutions per minute each mixer has, but they do look somewhat similar to me.

20 qt. Hobart mixer video. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzPYwxVWGA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzPYwxVWGA</a>

Kitchen Aid Professional Pro video.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL4K8OWtazI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL4K8OWtazI</a>

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #967 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »
I had a few extra dough balls that were frozen and defrosted yesterday morning, so I decided to try something different with one dough ball.  I just stretched out the dough ball, rolled a little, then added just a blend of mozzarellas and mild white cheddar on the skin, then folded it over and over, pushed the ends together, then cut two holes in the skin, then baked.  The top of the skin was brushed with garlic herb infused olive oil before the bake. I donít know what to call what product was made, but it was served with sauce.  It was another use for the preferment Lehmann dough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #968 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
One pizza was left in the oven too long yesterday, and it turned too brown on the rim and bottom crust to sell to customers, but Steve thought it didnít look to bad and took it home to eat later.  The pie that was baked too long did have a definite crunch when cut and really a crispy bottom.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #969 on: October 10, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
I only wanted to take one video of my 20 qt. Hobart mixer mixing a 15 lb. batch of dough today, but somehow, I must have touched the button on the camera to shut it off several times.  The water and preferment are already in the mixer bowl, then I added KASL, IDY on the one side, and salt on the other side.  After the dough was mixing well, I drizzled the olive oil down the edge of the mixer bowl.  It is a little dark at market on a Monday, so these videos might not be the best.  After the olive oil in mixed a little, then I set the timer for 6 minutes.  These are also the pictures I took when I must have stopped the video.  The last video shows how my finished dough looks before balling.  If anyone is interested in seeing how my preferment Lehmann dough is mixed, these are the videos for one batch of dough.  The first pictures are of what my preferment looks like on a Monday, before I mix the preferment into the final dough.  The preferment hasn't been failing me for a long time, since I started timing how long the preferment heats in the Hatco unit.  I make the preferment on a Friday to be incorporated into the final dough on a Monday, because of time restraints at market.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maOxJhWF38" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maOxJhWF38</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN5YK0rxcAE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN5YK0rxcAE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w18ZxvEOHo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w18ZxvEOHo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDgm4PIulw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDgm4PIulw</a>

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #970 on: October 10, 2011, 06:30:51 PM »
Norma

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #971 on: October 11, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
Norma, from what I can tell the Hobart (on speed 1) is doing about 80 revolutions per minute.  It looks like the Kitchen Aid is also doing 80 revolutions per minute.  Was the Kitchen Aid on speed 2 of 10?

Thanks for including the videos of mixing.  What intrigued me is the dough taking on a "pillowy" look when completed, which from your video is about 7 minutes, 1 minute pre-oil and 6 minutes post-oil.  Are you able to acheive this same look and feel when using the Kitchen Aid?

Danes Dad

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #972 on: October 11, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
Norma, from what I can tell the Hobart (on speed 1) is doing about 80 revolutions per minute.  It looks like the Kitchen Aid is also doing 80 revolutions per minute.  Was the Kitchen Aid on speed 2 of 10?

Thanks for including the videos of mixing.  What intrigued me is the dough taking on a "pillowy" look when completed, which from your video is about 7 minutes, 1 minute pre-oil and 6 minutes post-oil.  Are you able to acheive this same look and feel when using the Kitchen Aid?

Danes Dad

Danes Dad,

It is good you could tell the amount of revolutions per minute on my Hobart and Kitchen Aid mixer.  My Kitchen Aid mixer was on speed one too, except when I first turned it on.  You are right it takes about 7 or 8 minutes total time to mix my preferment Lehmann dough in the Hobart.  I am almost able to achieve the same look and feel of the dough with my Kitchen Aid mixer.  The only thing with my Kitchen Aid mixer is I might need to stop it and scrap some lose flour off the sides.  If you ever want me to take a full video of my Hobart mixing the preferment Lehmann dough, I will try again without interruptions.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #973 on: October 12, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
A few of the pies that were made from the preferment Lehmann dough batch on Monday.  These pies werenít the best looking pies, (from the batch I showed the videos of the dough in the Hobart mixer) but ones I thought to just quickly snap pictures of.

Norma

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #974 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
Norma,

This thread's been a great read and I now have a preferment in the fridge based on the %'s Pete and you came up with at reply#149.  Planning on 3 days in fridge then mix with remaining components and back to the fridge for at least 24hrs.  Will let you know how it turns out.

The main problem i'm having with my doughs (Lehmann w/o preferement) is the dreaded gum line.  I have tried topping with oil just before baking, but the gum line remains (i may have over oiled the dough).  I'm cooking in electric oven with corderiette(?) stone on bottom shelf at 550 degrees for about 5 1/2 minutes, then 1 minute under broiler.

If you get a chance on the next pizza you make (one that your not trying to sell) could you take a picture of a slice with the cheese lifted?  I'd like to see what the top of your dough looks like.  This request also goes out to Pete and any others willing to share photos.

Thanks.  Danes Dad

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #975 on: October 14, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
Norma,

This thread's been a great read and I now have a preferment in the fridge based on the %'s Pete and you came up with at reply#149.  Planning on 3 days in fridge then mix with remaining components and back to the fridge for at least 24hrs.  Will let you know how it turns out.

The main problem i'm having with my doughs (Lehmann w/o preferement) is the dreaded gum line.  I have tried topping with oil just before baking, but the gum line remains (i may have over oiled the dough).  I'm cooking in electric oven with corderiette(?) stone on bottom shelf at 550 degrees for about 5 1/2 minutes, then 1 minute under broiler.

If you get a chance on the next pizza you make (one that your not trying to sell) could you take a picture of a slice with the cheese lifted?  I'd like to see what the top of your dough looks like.  This request also goes out to Pete and any others willing to share photos.

Thanks.  Danes Dad

Danes Dad,

Thanks for saying this thread has been a great read.  It is really a long thread, but does contain a lot of interesting information. Peter is the one that came up with this formula, so it would fit into the times I could be at market.  You can watch your preferment to see how it ferments.  I donít know what temperature your home refrigerator is.  At market I have to keep my deli case at lower temperatures, because I am a food approved business.  If your refrigerator is warmer, you preferment might develop faster.  I never oil my dough for the NY style, but do oil (with herb infused garlic olive oil) the dough sometimes when I am making a Greek style pizza.  I have also used the preferment Lehmann dough at home to make pizzas and never got a gum line.  I will take a picture of a slice with the cheese lifted on Tuesday and post it.

Best of luck with your pizzas!  :) Let me know if you have any other questions.  I will be interested how your dough and pizza turns out.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #976 on: October 19, 2011, 06:37:02 AM »
Danes Dad,

These are the pictures you asked me to take.  The preferment Lehmann dough pizza I took the pictures of was just taken out of the oven. I pushed the cheese aside and it looks like a gum line, but really isnít.  That is just the way a pizza looks when the cheese and sauce are pushed aside when the pizza is still hot.  The other two pictures are the crumb and bottom crust of the same pizza.  

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #977 on: October 19, 2011, 06:37:37 AM »
Norma

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #978 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
Thanks Norma,

Great looking pies as always.

Danes Dad

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #979 on: October 22, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »
Thanks Norma,

Great looking pies as always.

Danes Dad

Danes Dad,

Thanks for the kind words about my market pies!  :)  I hope you will report back on how the preferment Lehmann dough performed for you.

Norma