Author Topic: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza  (Read 131884 times)

Offline JimmyG

Re: Preferment for Lehmann NY Style Pizza
« Reply #1000 on: November 04, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
Norma,
Nothing wrong with a little morning pie. Sometimes they are the best.  ;)
With regards to the NY pies, believe me, I have been witnessing your fancy for the Greek style and with the results you been producing, I don't blame you one bit for slipping away from the NY style. I have been find myself on the same tight rope. While I love my NY pizzas whole-heartedly, ever since I have been working with and trying to refine what I am going to call "Sicilia Style" pizzas, with the semolina and the medium thick crusts, I don't know if I could easily go straight back to a NY style. I guess that is one thing about trying out other styles, you never know what is going to surprise you.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1001 on: November 04, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
Jimmy,

I saw your ďSicilia StyleĒ pizza on Slice, and they looked great!  :) I agree about trying other styles of pizzas.  Some have surprised me too.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: November 05, 2011, 08:51:47 PM »
I forgot to post this picture from Tuesday.  Steve when to open a dough ball and we thought it looked like a face.   :-D 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1003 on: November 10, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »
These are the pictures of two Greek pizza made with frozen preferment Lehmann dough balls on Tuesday.  The one Greek pizza had tomato sauce put on before the other dressings, and the last one had Alfredo Sauce with garlic put on the pie first, a blend of cheeses, in addition to the other dressings.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: November 10, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1005 on: November 12, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
I guess this adventure will tell how good I remember what my preferment Lehmann dough looks like when it is mixed.  When I went to market yesterday my scale said low battery.  The scale wouldnít measure anything for the preferments.  I took the whole back off of the back of the scale and there was a rechargeable battery in the top back.  Each time I use the scale, I plug in the AC adapter, so I thought there would never be any use for the battery that was in the scale.  I had read the instruction booklet when I first bought the scale and it said that the rechargeable battery would only be used if the AC adapter wasnĎt plugged in. Well, I guess those instructions were wrong.  I never left my scale plugged in the receptacle, and only plugged it in when I wanted to weigh ingredients for my doughs.  I donít know if the battery didnít recharge enough, or if it went dead now.  I went to where I purchased the scale today, and they said other pizza operators also had the same problems with the same kind of scale I have.  They said I would need to contact the manufacturer and get a new battery for my scale to work.  Well, the number to contact is in Texas and they arenít open today.  I did just contact Battery Warehouse, and they donít have the battery in stock and they will be closed soon, but to come in Monday to see if they have something that can replace the battery.  I will take the battery in Monday to see if there is any way they can give me a battery that might be the same.  So for now I donít have a scale to use for market.  Yesterday I just used my regular scale I use for cheese, but it isnít really accurate, to measure the flour and water for the preferments.  I could use volume measurements for the  IDY.  The real test will come Monday, if I canít find a replacement battery.  I hope I can measure without an accurate scale and make my doughs.  I never felt this lost before without a scale.  :(  My small kitchen scale at home doesnít weigh in enough lbs. for the amount of dough I need to make.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1006 on: November 14, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Well, my market scale wasnít fixed as of today.  I did use the contact page to contact the company that sells my scales in the US over the weekend, and I received two replies as maybe why my scale wasnít working right.  I guess they must not know what is wrong with my scale, because they said it should work without the battery.  The tech told me to take the battery out, and the AC adapter should make my scale work, but that wasnít the case.  The digital display just went dead.  Then they told me to it might be my display is bad, or maybe my AC adapter might be bad.  Third they told me maybe my AC adapter isnít making contact where it is plugged in.  After my last contact, and me asking more questions, they havenít returned any more calls or a emails.  I didnít go to battery warehouse, because I am not sure it is the battery that is causing the problems.  I might go to Battery Warehouse on Wednesday, and get them to see if a new battery (if they have about the same kind of battery) would solve my problems with the scale.

So, it was onto market today without my market scale.  I looked at my small kitchen scale over the weekend and it said has a 6.6 lb. capacity.  I thought I could try that scale at market.  I put some things on my home kitchen scale over the weekend and it could weigh over 7 lbs.  I though maybe it would work at market, so I took it along today.  I donít know what the heck happened, but my different dough batches felt different in hydration.  ???  At least my preferment did bubble okay with using only my other scale.  I have no idea how my pizzas will turn out tomorrow, but it should be interesting.  One other time, (awhile ago) I had decided to try to mix a 7 Ĺ lb. batch of dough for market, because I just wanted to see what would happen.  That batch of dough did turn out well, but I knew I couldnít ever duplicate that again, because I just added more water.  I guess I will see what happens tomorrow.

These were a few pictures  from today of the preferment and some pictures from two batches of dough I mixed using my kitchen scale.  I never thought I would miss my market scale so much.  I felt lost without it.  :(

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1007 on: November 14, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1008 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1009 on: November 14, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1010 on: November 17, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
The adventure with the preferment Lehmann dough, and my market scale not working right, is still continuing.  The service manager has been emailing me, and he thinks my AC adapter went bad.  He said I would need to go though the dealer that I purchased the scale from and request a replacement adapter.  He said they could ship it from their company, but their policy now is they have to go though the dealer for any parts.  I called the dealer I bought the scale from (they do have a place where they repair equipment) and they told me they canít get in contact with the company that sells the scales.  I said I had no problems getting a hold of the company that sells the scales to other places and they are willing to send me another AC adapter, but it would have to go though them.  The business I bought the scale from did have their contact number on the bottom of the scale if something went wrong.  The dealer I bought the scale from told me basically what I bought was a throw away scale if something went wrong with it and they canít do anything about it.  :o  Finally the service manager at the company that sells the scales to dealers told me today he is going to send me a replacement AC adapter, but he has to send me a used on that works, because that is the only way to get around the system. I did give the service manager the contact numbers of the dealer I bought the scale from and the place that does repairs for them.  The service manager also told me once I get the AC adapter to let him know if it works.  What a mess!  :-D

Well, luckily my batches of preferment Lehmann dough were okay this past Tuesday.  I could tell they were different in how the dough felt, but they made what appeared to be the same pizzas.  Thank goodness for that.  At least the preferment Lehmann dough is okay to be modified some.  :) Randy told me on Tuesday that since my kitchen scale is only rated for 6.6 lbs. of weighing, it might not be accurate over that amount.  Maybe that is why the preferment Lehmann dough didnít turn out the same. I did add more preferment than I usually do to the final mix though. At least I know what my dough is supposed to feel like when it is mixed.  

Some pictures how some of the pizzas turned out on Tuesday.  I guess I will have another week of not having my market scale to weigh my ingredients for the preferment Lehmann dough.  If I donít get the AC adapter, or it doesnít make the market scale work until later next week, I am going to purchase a new scale.

Steve, Randy, other taste testers, and I tasted some pizzas and they did taste okay.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:43:23 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: November 17, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1012 on: November 17, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1013 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:34 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1014 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:10 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1016 on: November 23, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
I finally got my dilemma fixed with my pizza scale.  The company that distributes the scales did send me a used replacement AC adapter.  It does make my scale work again.  No more guessing if I am weighing anything right.  I am going to contact the dealer in my area that I purchased my scale from and let them know that they sure werenít very helpful in solving my dilemma.  A few pizza made yesterday with my modified preferment Lehmann doughs.  The dough balls didnít act exactly like my preferment Lehmann dough pizzas, but at least I could make pizzas, that tasted the same.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:39:00 PM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1017 on: November 23, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1018 on: November 23, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1019 on: November 23, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Norma