Author Topic: the lifespan of a culture / old dough  (Read 5739 times)

Offline pattyfermenty

Re: the lifespan of a culture / old dough
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »
Interesting....Looking forward to hearing about your results.  When you say day & night for a few days are you referring to a feeding in the morning & then another in the evening?  How many days is a few days?  How much culture did you start off with & how much did you feed it?  Did you discard any or just continue to feed the mass?

Matt

Unfortunately I didn't go by a schedule. I have had the culture for years and am quite used to how it behaves, so I didn't go by a schedule. But here is what I did: I took out the entire batch (about 2 cups), fed it about 2 cups of flour and the same weight in water (i always keep a 100% culture). waited until it awoke (rising, some holes in top, but not receeding -- around 4 hours'ish), then tossed all but about one half cup and fed again and again. It doesn't matter how much I feed it because I am always paying attention to when it looks to be exhausted -- it could be an hour, 4 hours or 10 hours, depending on how much I feed it. When I go to sleep at night, I always make sure to feed it at least 4x its weight _in flour_, and that will carry it all night long. I did this for 3.5 - 4 days, and wow. I have often revived my culture for 1.5 to 2 days, but never 3.5-4. Like I said, haven't made pizza with it and now that it has been refrigerated overnight it still has that sweet smell, but now there is a very noticeable bite to it that I have never had, the kind of bite that almost burns your nose when you take the top off.

Offline pattyfermenty

Re: the lifespan of a culture / old dough
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
Interesting....Looking forward to hearing about your results.  When you say day & night for a few days are you referring to a feeding in the morning & then another in the evening?  How many days is a few days?  How much culture did you start off with & how much did you feed it?  Did you discard any or just continue to feed the mass?

Matt
Well, the result for me was that the culture made both a positive difference in taste and texture and i decided that it was worth the extra trouble. The straight dough i have is very good, but it has just a hint of a bready/flat flavor -- the dough made from the very active culture/old dough did not have that hint of bready/flat flavor. I fixed my problem -- the culture has to be very active so that not only the yeast component is there, but also the bacteria.